Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:20:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

best fishing sites

Started by av6330, March 10, 2010, 04:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

av6330

i live near 48127, where and when would you recommend a newbie start fishing within 40 miles.

Bender

If you are shore fishing I think Newburgh Lake near 96/275 is O.K., but I've never been there. I would drive the extra distance and go to Kent Lake though. Nearly the whole lake is accessible from shore and there are some really good spots. I'll look and see if I have a map marked up with good spots from shore.
If you are in a boat then maybe head down to Belleville since that is pretty close, but I would still go to Kent.  ;D
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

Durand Dan

You should be fishing for Walleye now!

Bender

If you are going to Kent I would try any and all of these places from shore:

Park information is here: http://www.metroparks.com/parks/index_all.aspx?ID=6&r=0
There is a good map you can download on the right of that page.

Not sure how much bigger this version is of the above picture but here is a link to it.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

Frank

Welcome to GLB.  I'm glad you found it so easily.  you'll get a lot more, and better info on here then on craigslist.  though finding your post on there gave me something to do while i was bored.

Frank

LennyB

If your fishing from shore you could try Hudson Mills Metro Park. It has the Huron River running thru it and you can wade it. It has a lot of Smallies and Largemouth. Also as mentioned above, Newburg lake in Hines Park is good from shore. Also practice catch and release so the fishing will remain good for all. Good luck. 

Jeremy

I live in Westland so I tend to go there a lot. I haven't caught anything larger than 10-12 inch but they're clean, healthy fish. Lots of worm/bobber guys camped out there all day during the summer from what I've seen.

matt

Newburgh lake is not an easy lake to fish.I haven't had much luck there and I go quite a few times a year.It's more of a bluegill and pike lake if you ask me.

Huron river is your best bet....plenty of places to fish it along the way.

Ford lake can be fun specially right on Bass season opener....Non-stop smallmouth action.

djkimmel

What I've heard about Newburgh is not a lot of bass, but the ones that are there are big! That's from a few years ago...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Got Fish??

There is a lot of bass in newburg lake. Just getting to them is a little tuff. There is not much shore space, and that space is usually occupied. By a lot of regulars. Live bait works best but sincos work as well as top water early in morning. I haven't fish the lake much since I got my boat. Because there is not a ramp at the lake.

WayneC

I heard some great things about Newburg Lake and made a trip there last year.  My friend knew about the lake, how to get a launch pass, where the launch was and where to fish.  He had fished the lake before, had done well and figured we could really clean up between the two of us.  

Boy, did we catch it on the wrong day.  However, I did put together a pattern at the edge of the floating algae at the dam.  Wacky rigged X-worms got the job done.  Of course when we pulled out a guy who was working the lake too said it was tough today but, "you should have been here yesterday!"  Figures!

They did some major upgrades to this lake through dredging, adding or subtracting vegetation, removing PCB's and other improvements.  This was one of the reasons my friend wanted to hit this lake at this time.  The report about the renovations has a "may harm your computer" warning attached to it right now but I've seen the report and it is worth a look if you can access it.  I do have one link for anyone who wants more information:

http://www.waynecounty.com/mygovt/doe/depts/wqd/newburgh_lake.aspx

jcox7

Before the work was done on the lake which needed to be the lake was full of studs.  When they drained the entire lake for the rehab there were five smallies over 7lbs taken out they killled everything in the lake and planted it with all new fish this was a long time ago.  I was a kid back then and use to fish there all the time probably what is wrong with me today.  I will tell you this since I was like 13 or so I know of three people who have died in the lake near the dam or while working on the dam so maybe it is the lake just has bad Karma

fuzzygrub1611

Newburg was a good lake but the weeds have taken over. Lots of Bass, Pike, catfish, bluegill,crappie, and carp. If you can find a clear spot to fish give it a try. they do have a ramp but no way to back in because of parking lot.

WayneC

If you are there early enough or on a slow day and the parking lot isn't full you can back in.  At least I was able to with my 18' 6" Champ.

fuzzygrub1611

You were lucky Wayne. Have seen that lot fill up fast. Did your tubes do any good there? May try it again this year.

WayneC

Sorry about that...I've been off the board for a few days.

It was such a tough day that there was no way to get a read on any specific bait except for the presentation next to the floating scum by the dam with a wacky rigged X-worm.  I think color was a lot less important than the slow fall in this case.  If I were to go back and "get lucky" with launching again my two top largemouth tube colors would be rigged up: Great Lakes Perch and St. Clair Crayfish.  Of course the creature version of St. Clair Crayfish would be on as well as would something in Canadian Mist like a skirted twin tail grub.  All of those would have to share the water equally with a buzzbait though.

fuzzygrub1611

Thanks Wayne. Any more creature baits coming out? Love your stuff.

WayneC

The creature is such a great design to play with both on the water and for blending colors in a pseudo laminate mix.  There aren't any plans this year to do more but we will see where sales fall then see what can be done next year.  Thanks for asking.  If it were possible I would do all the colors.