Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:11:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Do you full spool flouro?

Started by LipRip, March 02, 2010, 03:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishmael

I use braid as my backing because it doesn't get memory like mono, so I don't have to change my backing for many years.   It has really saved $$ for me. 

I do use mono for my main line when using topwater and sometimes with spinnerbaits (although I must admit I don't throw these often).  However, there really isn't many advantages to mono over flouro for me other than it floats.

t-bone

The only problem with braid as a backing is it can slip if not tied well. I had a very bad day with this one year. Lost some big fish, couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting a hook in them and then saw the braid was slipping on the spool.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

TritonTR20

If you use a arbor knot on the spool it won't slip!

fasttrack

Worked at Al & Bob's 20 yrs ago. Filled thousands of reels with line. We had string (kinda like kite string I guess) we always offered to use as backer. I've used a backer on my reels ever since, even before the fancy/pricey lines came out. But that's just the Hollander in me showing thru!
Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil

stackenem

If you just tie on 10 Ft of mono then tie on your braid it won't spin. Found out the hard way with walleye on the Sag river one spring.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

Hooksetter

I always use backing, always mono. It's cheap. I've never had a problem.

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

Frank

I use mono fill on all of my reels.  1/2 mono, 1/2 Fireline.  then when my fireline gets old i fill 1/2 of another reel with mono, then reel the fireline from the first pole onto the second.  that way the old line is in the middle of the reel and fresh fireline is on the outside.  I only use 4 feet of flouro and have found that a uni to uni won't work because Fireline slices through the flouro.  I use a very small ball bearing swivel to join them together.  I don't like casting just flouro because on spinning equip it seems to spool off on its own.

Frank

REEL_MAN

The proper installation for braid is to put on mono first then attach the braid. I've had quite a few guys bring me their reels saying that the drag can't be locked down. The first question - did one use mono for backing? The answer is always no, I didn't know I needed too. The spools are so slick braid just won't grip. Besides braid isn't cheep either. I don't know many people the fish the bottom half of the spool, so I just change the top half.

REELMAN
<))))>{

fishalot

If you are using braid as your main line and have had issues with slippage,A simple trick I have used with success.Just put a couple of wraps of electrical tape on the spool before spooling ,Has worked well for me.

t-bone

This is exactly the lesson I learned. Buy some cheap mono - then attach braid. My wife gets a kick watch the spooling process of mono, then braid, then floro leader. Crazy but cost effective and a great setup.

Quote from: REEL_MAN on March 04, 2010, 06:37:48 AM
The proper installation for braid is to put on mono first then attach the braid. I've had quite a few guys bring me their reels saying that the drag can't be locked down. The first question - did one use mono for backing? The answer is always no, I didn't know I needed too. The spools are so slick braid just won't grip. Besides braid isn't cheep either. I don't know many people the fish the bottom half of the spool, so I just change the top half.

REELMAN
<))))>{
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

LipRip

so what lb mono do you guys use for ur backer?

djkimmel

I buy bargain bin bulk mono 10 or 12 lbs test for my backing for any bass fishing. Fill all my spools about half way with that and just leave it on for the good mono, fluoro or Spectrex. Saves a bunch of money on line. I use different knots depending on how big the main line attaching is.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

STEELERBOY29

I too use mono backing for all me reels.  I like to use Cajun Red as it's cheap plus it's easy to see when I'm getting low on my clear mainline.

Redbone

Watching Jimmy H. on tv today.  Saying he uses a Blood knot to tie on his backer.  Looked like a pretty good not. I might give this one a shot.

Revtro

Ditto.  I use the cheapest mono I can find and spool a half reel of it, then the rest with floro.  On reels with braid, I spool half reel with mono, the other half with braid, and use the Floro leader.  Saves lots of $$.  Uni-Uni seems easiest and I've never had one fail.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]