Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:07:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

tackle you got suckered into buying

Started by bob o, February 12, 2010, 10:12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waterfoul

I have one... Don gave it to me to try.  I used it for a full season and I really liked it.  It was one that Don had used for quite some time so it's been fished a LOT.  Still works great.  If I didn't get such a deal on my current boat load of Symetre's I'd surely buy more Wavespins.

I tried to return the reel to Don and he told me to just keep it.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Mike S.

See there, Don you have to give everyone of us a reel to try.  You can't give to one and not the others.  You can call it the GLB Wavespin charity.  PM me and I will give you my address for shipping!  HAHA, I kill me.

macbass

i hought this post was about things you got suckered into buying....stackenem you did not buy tha reel it was givin to you at the 2007 dk open on st clair....i gave that reel to dan to do with what he liked...also that was not a production reel it was one of the first 1000 made and if I am not mistaken it is numbered as such if you look at the bottom of the reel seat...so it amazes me how something free doesnt work the way you think it should...

IF ITS NOT A CAT ITS A DOG: BASSCAT PERFORMANCE BOATS www.thedropshotdenny.com www.hookednhunted.com

stackenem

I am not saying that they are bad it just did not seem to perform well for me. I used it all that summer and did not care for the way that it performed. That was just my opinion which I am entitled to. Yes I did win it at the DK open and I also gave it back to Dan to give to somebody else at the fall DK open. You say that they do not birdnest but the one I had did several times and I felt that it did not handle as well as some of my other spinning reels. As I said before that is just my opinion. Just because I won it doesn't make it good. 
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

stackenem

Mcbass, Also I was just giving an opinion to the gentleman that asked about the wavecast if you read several posts above mine.

Bill
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

sinkersanddinkers

I used a friends rod last year a couple of times with one of the Wavespin reels on it. Needless to say, that is why I am going to be buying 5 Wavespins before the season starts. Ive had the higher dollar shimano and daiwas and have still gotten birds nests and major line twisting. After seeing these reels in action, Im buying enough for all my spinning rods. I dont think that there is any way you can find a better performing reel out there, especially in the price range of Wavespin. And like some people have mentioned on here, they do exactly what they say they do, plus they are a very smooth casting and retrieving reel. What more can anyone ask for????

LGMOUTH

Quote from: mikeszr800 on February 17, 2010, 07:38:11 PM
See there, Don you have to give everyone of us a reel to try.  You can't give to one and not the others.  You can call it the GLB Wavespin charity.  PM me and I will give you my address for shipping!  HAHA, I kill me.

Well if your REEL nice I would not be against letting anyone borrow a used reel to see if they will like it. But I will have to put a two week trial period on it since I only have a few to do this with. Just PM me and I will see what I can do. Some how I think Mike talked me out of that reel not sure exactly how he did it, he must be a salesmen.

Stackenem,
If it was one of the first editions I would of said the exact same thing as you did. Even the second edition had its quirks but all is good now. Just an FYI that was when they were wavecast, since then they have changed their name and took care of all the issues.
When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

thedude

I have 3 spinning rods/reels in my boat... i feel like i got suckered into buying those every time i reluctantly pick one up....
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Waterfoul

Quote from: thedude on February 17, 2010, 10:57:42 PM
I have 3 spinning rods/reels in my boat... i feel like i got suckered into buying those every time i reluctantly pick one up....

Now that's funny right there I don't care who you are!!!  LOL!!!   :D

As for the Wavespin I got from Don... it has a LOT of miles on it... but if someone else wants to try it out your welcome to borrow it for a week or two.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

Jumping to conclusions without all the facts, reacting too quickly to others' comments... usually not good. Please remember that.

stackenem had one of the early reels that had a sharper edge and seem to grab some lines at times. I found the same thing on one I used (and still have). Keeping the spool filled up well helps. I was glad to see the company worked to improve their product to meet or exceed their expectations. It shows they listened to customers and truly wish to make a good product people will continue to use and buy more of.

I would not consider that I was suckered into the reel since it was given to me to try and to reward a member also. I have not tried one of the new wavespin reels, but knowing they have changed them just by looking at them AND by going by what LGMOUTH and others tell me, I would also not give my opinion of the reel I have regarding the spool to someone considering buying one now. The reels are obviously different now and I trust LGMOUTH and others when they tell me they're much better now.

I would definitely go by what someone sponsored says if they are someone who I know has integrity, honesty and is smart enough to know if they spread a bunch of manure around you won't be growing anything nice. Soon, most people would know you're full of it and smart companies don't want to sponsor someone many people know are full of it.

Sure, there are some out there who'll say just about anything, but many sponsored anglers do not behave that way. If you listen to the honest, decent ones (I think most of us are capable of recognizing the difference) you'll see they don't blow a bunch of smoke up your skirt. They tell you what is positive about the product they rep and don't embellish. I actively seek out the advice of people like that because they will have first hand experience with the product I don't have yet. They can answer my questions based on that experience. If you listen you'll see they don't make claims they can't back up, or that you know are hooey.

That's different than watching an infomercial that has you ending up buying a lure that flaps!! ;D Heck, sometimes the people in those infomercials are using the featured product for the first time. Even on many of those, if you listen you'll see they often make generic comments that you can't really say aren't true.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

mikesmiph

Bender

I get suckered in when there is stuff on big sales. I bought 17 Spro FatCrank 20 crankbaits the other day because they were one sale. I've never even seen one before. Every once in a great while this works out, but normally it is just more stuff I never use.

I might buy one of those Wave Spin reels, I have been looking at them. Not sure what size they are. I thought the best feature was the split spool so that you can take line off quickly. Now that is smart!
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

Durand Dan

Has anyone bought any Lazer Lures? I see Icconelli pushing them, so they must be great!

djkimmel

I looked at the Lazer lures, but my own (secret ;D) research has not lead me to buy them at the moment. But research continues...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Waterfoul

Martin bought one of the lazer lures last year at the GR show... not sure it's even been wet yet.

Mike S.

I was checking the Lazerlures out last summer when the family and I went to D&R to start figuring out what a new boat will cost us.  I was actually upset that I didn't see any at the show in Novi.  I was dead set on buying one.  That was the only thing I really wanted to buy other than my Grandt rod.  That just left more money to spend on those Nemesis baits that i am hearing don't catch fish. ;D  Just kidding, those will be the first jigs that get wet this year.

detroit1

Back when Senkos were new, i got suckered into knock-offs. Now it's a Flash or Senko only. I love my Bandit flat max shallow and deep divers, and when they came out with the 700 (?) (dd22 type) i had to have one. Hate it, and it will never see water again. Back in the early 70's i got a Johnson Sprint spincast reel with money from my 12th birthday. It was to be the fastest spincast reel on the market at that time. 7 fishing trips later the thing just turned to junk. Nothing this year though...
WAVE THERAPY

Mojo

Quote from: TCook on February 17, 2010, 01:10:29 PM
Quote from: mojo on February 17, 2010, 12:47:16 PM

- Im going to agree with a chatter fad and $20 swim baits. WTH ??  

Oh and PS: I combined the Berkley Gulp! minnow with Nemisis 2" gobies to win a tournament in 08 on Drop Shot and they were the only two baits I used and it was the only  stick I held. In the rivers and outfished my partner who used tubes, poor boy goby, and all the other top baits - so give ol Nemisis a break they have great fish catching product ..........

I was being sarcastic about Nemesis baits not catching fish, they are excellent baits. News flash swimbaits are not a gimmick and when did Nemesis start making 2" gobies?

oppps ! Clipping off an inch ? Did I just give away THE biggest secret I found out last summer  !! ??  :o  Seriously our budrow has a goby bait that has no business being in a "Sucker lure" posting. Agreed ?

Member guys - and my point was - The magazines are designed to recycle some NEW technique that won tournaments somewhere and sell that new technique hoping it catches on. If you havent noticed - lure prices are escalating - example: $6 - $8 ... for a frog ?!! They were $3 bucks 10 yrs ago. So they add longer strands and changed from (american made) Eagle Claw to a Japanese hooks and that makes em marketable at $5 bucks more ??

Maybe Im wrong. There are true high $$$ fish catchers. I wasnt a believer in $15 jerk baits til I caught 6 1/4 and 5 3/4 lb smallmouths on consecutive trips ... and guess who wont buy another jerk bait other than that one ... me. But it seems weird to me that $20 swimbaits came into the market by storm on the heels of a California boy winning a big tournament out east ??

Another example, Red Crawfish in the pre-spring ? Shoulda never caught on in Northern States but marketing did its job, we ALL went out and bought em, and when you run a bright rattle trap in prespawn, prolly any color would catch fish, but because all of us have a story of a good size fish on Red, its now a Northern color too.

SO like Fiker said, one mans junk is another mans treasure.

PS: I'll report back on my latest mispurchase, I meant to order a LC 85 waketail (fish catcher) and instead got an LC Kelly J prop.

Does Anyone have a story on this bait ??

Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan