Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:57:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Caught me some fish (not Bass but fish)

Started by fiker, April 18, 2006, 04:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiker

Got out today on the Portage chain in Washtenaw/Livingston counties.

Was great to wet a line. 

Caught a mess of gills.  Dinner tomorrow!

While catching one of the gills, this big ole 4# Bass surfaced by the boat, splashed the water's surface and me.   

I think that is how fish must laugh.   Either that, or they laugh after they splash us. 

My sonar unit must be wrong.  The temperature in the canals was 57o.
:D
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Cheetam

Fish have a sense of humor.  I was out fishing with PB one day and I had a big fish blow up on a buzzbait.  I had her on for a moment before my line broke.  We motored up to where the fish hit to see if it was relating to anything special (a rock, some sand, a hubcap...whatever).  I looked down and saw this big, knarly looking stump and told PB to come look at it.  We both looked down, looked at one another and said something to the effect of "that's one big knarly stump" and then looked down again...but this time, there wasn't just a stump.  Next to the stump was my freshly broken off buzzbait.  To this day I swear that fish waited until we looked away, spit out that buzzbait as if to say "nice try punk", and then left....laughing all the while...
Jeff

djkimmel

I've heard of fish like that... I think it was on 60 Minutes... "Bass, and the Anglers They Laugh At"

I would not be surprised by 57F in a canal after the sun we've had.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

joshimoto son

I've got a story like that too!

Last year at a club tourny on Cadillac/Mitchell, my non-boater who is new to bass fishing was throwing a "killer" spinnerbait that another guy in the club gave him. He was sooo proud of that thing.

I noticed that his line had been wrapped around the bend of the spinnerbait quite a few times and told him that he should un-wrap it. Once he did that, his line line looked like a cork screw.

I said, "You should retie that thing" .... "Naw, It'll be alright" he replied.

In which he immediately stood up, turned around and made a long cast.

Then got a tremendous hit and held onto the fish for a mere second or two before he broke off.

I had to give him the "I told you so" and then proceeded to give him some more crap as what is required in the "what a good buddy should do" hand book.

To make it worse, as he sat down to find another lure to tie on, a nice three pounder come clean out of the water and jingled that spinner bait as if to say "I got your "killer" spinner bait, what are you gonna do now B$%^h!"

I'm never gonna let him forget about that one!

And you can bet I have a lot of fun telling him to re-tie at a moments notice, cause he isn't going to let that happen to him again.

joshimoto son ;D

Duke

I got a funny one that is 15 years old. I was bluegill fishing with my brother when we were in high school. We didn't own a boat, any nice tackle, and had NO idea what we were doing. We just rented a row boat and normally got frustrated before calling it quits. About 4 hours into it with nothing but frustration, bugs, humidity, and too much heat I picked up a rapala plug and began casting. Then something happened: I caught something! Only problem was, it was my brother skull. It went right through his hat, two barbs went into his head.  :o

Pictures this with me, because this is when it gets funny. My brother is 6'5 and I'm 6', we're in a 12' rowboat with a cooler, useless bluegill tackle, bait bucket, and $9.99 Zebco rod/reel combos laying around. I was leaning over him trying to get the hooks out of his head and taking on a barrage of verbal insults (most not suitable for this website) when I realized that he had a bite on his bobber. I didn't know to tell him or not; I told him. He said put his hat on right so he could catch his fish. Well, that bobber then when right under water just as he was ready. He reeled back on his rod and set the hook. The battle ensued then for 1-2 seconds before it came unbuttoned. That was the only bite of the day... Try convincing me that the fish wasn't messing with our minds.

He still reminds me of this.

Duke
Duke

dhuff

I have been seeing 62 degrees in some canals and some main lake areas with 60 degree water so you are not wrong on what you have been seeing and i have seen this on more than one lake.

fiker

So does that mean we'll be site fishing bedding fish on the opener?
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Dan

I was out with my son on Duck Lake in Interlochen and I made a long cast with a spinnerbait. Reeling it in a fish hit it and when I went to set the hook the line broke. I could tell it broke way up the line and as I pondered why my son said he saw the line floating. We trolling motored over to it and picked it up and hand lined a nice 3 lbder. I retied the spinnerbait and cast a second time and had another hit. I set the hook and again the line broke. Suspicious I checked the last eye and sure enough the ceramic was broke out and the eye when I set was cutting the line. Well my son always would cast right where I caught a fish whenever I caught a fish. As I was looking at my tip the fish jumped and he threw at it. Immediately he said he caught the fish and I assure him he didn't catch "my" fish but another that was swimming with it. Nope! Reel in his fish and sure enough his spinnerbait snagged the balled up line off my spinnerbait. Never even hooked the fish. We unhooked my fish and tossed him back. Two fish on one spinnerbait that broke off twice. Never will that happen again. Weird.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

smbassman

Quote from: joshimoto son on April 19, 2006, 08:36:29 AM
I've got a story like that too!

Last year at a club tourny on Cadillac/Mitchell, my non-boater who is new to bass fishing was throwing a "killer" spinnerbait that another guy in the club gave him. He was sooo proud of that thing.

I noticed that his line had been wrapped around the bend of the spinnerbait quite a few times and told him that he should un-wrap it. Once he did that, his line line looked like a cork screw.

I said, "You should retie that thing" .... "Naw, It'll be alright" he replied.

In which he immediately stood up, turned around and made a long cast.

Then got a tremendous hit and held onto the fish for a mere second or two before he broke off.

I had to give him the "I told you so" and then proceeded to give him some more crap as what is required in the "what a good buddy should do" hand book.

To make it worse, as he sat down to find another lure to tie on, a nice three pounder come clean out of the water and jingled that spinner bait as if to say "I got your "killer" spinner bait, what are you gonna do now B$%^h!"

I'm never gonna let him forget about that one!

And you can bet I have a lot of fun telling him to re-tie at a moments notice, cause he isn't going to let that happen to him again.

joshimoto son ;D

Fishing a BFL as a co-angler, I set the  hook on a fish and while fighting it I told the boater that I was worried about my line.  Though I had just re-tied, I had my jig snagged on some rocks or zebra mussels and I got the bite when I popped it free.  Sure enough, as I finished telling the boater this and was loosening the drag, the fish charged and broke my line.  I was trying to save face and telling the boater that "it didn't feel very big!" and all of a sudden this 6-7# smallie comes flying out of the water trying to throw the jig still stuck in the corner of his mouth.  That one was tough to shake off and regain composure.

djkimmel

I think that fish took the jig away from your original fish (does that make you feel any better :))

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.