Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:11:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

spring turkey2010

Started by Got Fish??, January 18, 2010, 03:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Got Fish??

Do'nt forget to get those permits before feb.1-10. Did anyone bag a  gobbler,or has a good hunt story for last years hunt?

fasttrack

Did my app last week for my son & I. Last year I called in two toms on opening evening - shot one - 9" beard. Took my son out before school the next day. We saw lots of turkeys but no shots. As we were getting ready to pack up, a coyote came 'jogging' right at us - my son nearly soiled his pants! I doubt it would have actually attacked, but I made sure of it anyways and dropped him. With school he was not able to go much and did not get his first bird. Maybe this year!
Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil

Got Fish??

That is a great story. Nice to see that you get your son out to the woods. It is vary common to see those pesky animals when hunting for turkeys. I have had them atack my decoys.

Got Fish??

Congratulations to who were successful in the 2010 spring turkey drawing. I wood be happy to help out with any questions you have about setups,calling ,decoys and every thing else you would like to know, to be successful this season. GOOD LUCK!

fasttrack

What do you recommend for a nice slate call? Gonna finally retire a 20yr old one. Just want a soft, natural, sweet sound - not raspy/loud/tinny sounding. Prices are all over the board. I don't want to overpay but am willing to invest a little more in something if its worth it. Should I also watch what kind of striker it comes with?

Got Fish??

There's alot of slate calls on the market. Get one that sounds good to you. Now try different strikers, wood, plastic or glass. Each striker will have it's owen pitch. how the tip of the stiker is shaped or sanded will give you a different sound. Try cupping the palm of your hand under the base, will also fine tune your sounds. I have all three skrikers and a HSstrut slate on one side and glass on the other.You do not have to spend a lot of money. Some thing middle of the road will last. And at least two kinds of strikers. Now start draging each striker across your slate find your sweet spot. When you find that spot work it. I like a soft wood striker on slate and a plastic striker on glass.
s

fasttrack

Thanks - I'll shop around & try some out. Last yr I was disappointed that most stores either didn't have any out to try, or the ones out were so abused it wasn't worthwhile. Maybe this yr i'll have better success with that.

Got Fish??

make sure you get in the woods and setup 40mins.before the birds start to sing. Turkeys will see you walk through the woods, I have found that turkeys have a short memorey that dose not exceed 40 mins. If old tom remembers you, He will take another path to water, his dust bowl or where he is going to feed and avoid you. The moon is going too be full opening week.

1javelin

Bought a split tongue quad reed at Lunkers today, going to try my hand at the diaphragm calls this year, since I'll be trying to kill one with a bow.  Can't get it right, but I assume with practice it will get better.  Any pointers?

1jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

Got Fish??

If you have never used a diaphragm call before. I would start with a 2 reed or a two and a half cut. It takes a lot of effert to master those four reed calls. HSstrut makes a cd/3diaphram pack. Comes with three calls a two reed, a two and a half cut and a three reed split. I got one for my son, he's coming a long nicely. Now lets talk bow hunting! Set your decoys about 15 to 20 yards out. Face them looking right at you. When old tom comes in, he will face the decoy and fan out his tail in display. Now you got time to move and take your shot right where the sun don't shine. It is a tuff hunt. You got to be vary still. When that happens, it happens fast.

fasttrack

Also thinking about using a bow this spring. Hopefully the shoulder is strong enough now after surgery last winter. It wasn't yet this past fall, but I've been working out really hard this winter. Shooting 'em with a gun is still cool but almost getting too easy - never missed one yet and have about 10 under my belt - time for a new challenge! Is a blind a must? If so, do you have a prefered make/model (would also be used for deer in fall). I have a great ridge (roosting area) and nearby field edge/wind row (feeding/strutting/travel area) I could set it up on just prior to the season and leave it there (private land behind my house).

I agree, the quad mouth calls are more difficult. I'm no pro, but I do use mouth calls some. Can even keep two in my mouth and swap them w/ my tongue if I want a different sound or to sound like multiple birds. I'd also suggest a double reed to practice/start with. But keep that quad handy for the future once ya get better! On days when you have a flock located and the birds are talkin a lot, I've even used both hand and mouth calls at the same time so it sounds like a group rather than just a single bird. More times than not, though, limited calling has served me better than too much. Depends on the day-let the birds dictate (kinda like bass fishin!)

Got Fish??

No a blind is not a must. Having your own property and setting your own blind up is an advantage. Make sure your blind has enough room to move around in and has openings designed for bow hunting. Get a blind thats going to hold up and last. 

Got Fish??

Picking the right decoy is key to attracting birds. Decoys that are in positions with their necks straight up are in the alert stance. This may alarm the bird to be cautious and not want to come in. Get Feeding Decoys or a relaxed stance.

fasttrack

I have a strutting tom (w/ tail fan from a real bird I shot) and three different hens. Good point though - the hens are fairly upright so maybe I can put the stake in angled downward slightly so they look like they are feeding - something to play around with!

Got Fish??

The first three years I hunted, I did not use decoys. I found that old tom had a hard time pinpointing my position. On the fourth year I hunted with a friend that had several decoys. It seemed to be more diffcult to bring any turkeys in close.  I believe that with the decoys close to my position, that there is a better chance of being spotted. Any movement will be picked up by the sharp eyes of the birds. I have had Many toms and hens in my lap, 5 to 7 peaces from my position. If they can't see you and they are intrested they will keep looking. I do not use decoys. When I hunt alone.

Got Fish??

A friend of mine asked me if the gauge of shotgun makes a differece when taking old tom? With the advancement of shells and chokes today, any thing between 20gauge to 10 gauge is going to take old tom. It just depends on how much you are willing to spend on shells. I use a 10 gauge HxH single shot. With 3.5inch mag 4 shot and a xfulchoke My son uses a mossburg 500 20 gauge with xxfulchoke and 3in mag 4x6. It really gets out there. The average shot is genneraly 20 to 35 yards, give or take. You realy need to match your amo with your choke. Sometimes having to high of brass and too tight of choke, will give you a pattern larger than you may relize. Just takes a day out to the range.

Got Fish??

There is a great article in march woods-and-water. On farm country gobblers. Three pages of excellent information. Also in field and stream, is a small article on strikers. Being a norther woods hunter, I found that there is a big difference in both of these hunts. With all the pressure in the northern part of the state. Southern farmland may be this years best bet.

Got Fish??

Trying to bring that big tom, or any tom in close can often be quite a task. How many times has tom answered your call, only to hang up just out of reach. Soft yelps of purrs just do not panout. Try this. Most flocks have a domenet hen. She's the one who picks who she will mate with ' usually an adult male. challenging her for the  flock or that mate can bring the hole flock right in too your lap. Get her attention with sharp cuts and clucks in a rapid sequence. Then listen to her as she returns with her calls. Copy those notes to a tee, or as close as you can. When she comes to challenge that strange new hen. The rest of the folk will follow. Because every one likes a good fight.

Got Fish??

Remember that hunting turkeys over a bait pile is illegal. Don't get caught, you could loose your gear and the right to hunt.Plus pay a fine and or spend time in jail. Make sure your bird has a beard. There has been many cases of hens with beards taken , these are legal to shoot.

Got Fish??

Here's an easy way to take the feathers off your bird. Get your self a 4-6 gal. pot. Fill it with water, bring the pot of water to a boil. Add a half a package of paraffin wax, the kind your grandmother used for canning. When it comes to a boil. Take it off the stove and out side. Drop your bird in to the pot of water for about 40 to 60 secends. Any longer you take the chance of cooking the skin .I usually hold it by it's feet. Take bird out let the bird cool and the wax set up some. The feathers will mat and the skin will soften. This makes it easy to get all the feathers off . Evan the small pinfeathers. Leaving the skin on your bird will keep the bird from drying out, when you cook it. Do not let your Bird get cold before you pull of the feathers.