Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:19:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Lowrance VS. Humminbird ??? The SI debate?

Started by bigjc, January 18, 2010, 01:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjc

All right lets have it out, has anyone had the opportunity to use one or the other or both????  I am leaning toward Lowrance as my preference.

REEL_MAN

I was a died in the wool Lowrance user. The main thing they have going for them is Linda Colt in service, but Hummingbird has stepped up to the plate and now their service is equal or better than Lowrance.
I've had the opportunity to see both the side imaging units. I now have the 998si on order. Can't wait till the water is soft!!!!

Reelman
<))))>{

champion_206

I have had my HDS-8 since August, awesome unit, the 8 is on the console and putting a HDS-7 up at the bow, I have had my LSS since Nov and will be installing it within the next month, seen lots of pics of both units and they both look awesome, can't wait to use it this spring
(Certified Evinrude Mechanic) Anglers Marine, Evinrude, Champion Boats,Crooked Creek Pro Staff

thedude

have had great experience with customer service at humminbird. What i like most about humminbird is that they tend to support older models. Last year i got an upgrade patch to my 5 year old matrix that made it work with the interlink. That was awesome.  This year, they came up with down imaging for the 797 i have as well and i can upgrade it for free. I like the direction lowrance is going with the HDS and integrating satellite radio etc, however it feels like they are going to nickel and dime you to death on the features. if you spend 1-2k on a graph, you shouldn't have to spend another 500 + bucks to add the down/side imaging.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

McCarter

TritonTR20

bigjc

Quote from: thedude on January 18, 2010, 11:05:45 AM
if you spend 1-2k on a graph, you shouldn't have to spend another 500 + bucks to add the down/side imaging.

although, you can link up to 3 systems up to one imageing unit, so you spread that cost and it is just about equal

Waterfoul

Quote from: bigjc on January 18, 2010, 05:31:35 PM
if you spend 1-2k on a graph, you shouldn't have to spend another 500 + bucks to add the down/side imaging.

although, you can link up to 3 systems up to one imageing unit, so you spread that cost and it is just about equal

But as was said earlier... with the Humminbird units it's free... no cost to spread around.

I've owned several Lorwrance units and I now have a boat full of Humminbirds.  I'll be running Humminbirds from now on.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

jgip087

I have an HDS-7 and a side imaging and the Lowrance has taken over now with the technology. Problem is though with Lowrance is the HDS units have been getting water logged and failing to work. It will go off on you and never come back, had it happen to us the day of the FLW college regional so we were without a unit on the bow fishing on ledges on kentucky lake on very very specific spots. It was the worst time of my fishing career, knowing giants were down there and not being able to see where we were. Second day they gave us a new unit and the lowrance guy told us about all the problems the HDS was facing, 5 other units had to be replaced as well. Bottom line - don't mount them in the dash, take them off or cover them with a see through plastic bag in the rain. Oh, 2nd day we did have that unit and caught 2 big ones off our deep stuff, if only we had it on day one because we missed the cut and trip to the national championship by 2 or 3 pounds, 1 fish.
www.sure-life.com - please help ensure the
survival of your catch
www.poorboysbaits.com

thedude

whats the max distance on the lowrance? i think its 250' per side?
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Waterfoul

You should also know that Linda Colt quit Lowrance about 2 weeks ago.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

jgip087

Also, to add humminbird just sued lowrance over patent infringement for the side imaging technology you can read about it at bassfan.com. The humminbird units are also a little cheaper once you add the side imaging attachment lowrance uses
www.sure-life.com - please help ensure the
survival of your catch
www.poorboysbaits.com

Got Fish??

I run Humminbird. My father used Lowrance for years on his charter. I guess it depends on how much your ready to spend. I think Lowrance is much more superior

gr@ssmonkey

have had great experience with customer service at humminbird. What i like most about humminbird is that they tend to support older models. Last year i got an upgrade patch to my 5 year old matrix that made it work with the interlink. That was awesome.  This year, they came up with down imaging for the 797 i have as well and i can upgrade it for free. I like the direction lowrance is going with the HDS and integrating satellite radio etc, however it feels like they are going to nickel and dime you to death on the features. if you spend 1-2k on a graph, you shouldn't have to spend another 500 + bucks to add the down/side imaging.

hey dude when u going to run for president,you got my vote....i agree with you all the way on the above post and your post on tournament expense's is my mind thought exactly

the fact that hummingbird is going to upgrade my 5 year old side finder for FREE ;D that say's it all for me

see u on the water ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Duke

HDS units look real good. But I just purchased 2 new units: SI 998 & 898. Humminbird has had some time to work out kinks and for the money, I wanted something I can count on. Hopefully come July, I'm still happy with my decision.
Duke

SethV

Quote from: Duke on January 31, 2010, 07:58:50 PM
Hopefully come July, I'm still happy with my decision.

You will love them!!  How does that 898 look?  I have a 997 now, thinking about another (998si) for the bow - 800 series is a bit cheaper, but not too sure about the smaller screen.

Duke

Its on order now, so I can't say what it looks like yet! They're not scheduled to be shipped until late February. So I need an extra dose of patience.  ;D
Duke

BryanP

The 800 series is the same size as the old 917c and the original 987cSI.  It's the same housing and screen resolution as the 997, but has a 7" diagonal screen instead vs the 8" in the 997.  And it's $500 less.

Erie660

Here our some great comparison pics of down imaging for both units. I'm still trying to decide on which unit to get.

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread/483630-downscan-vs-downimaging-by-fishton