Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:51:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

The next Adventure of a Lifetime Begins strangely

Started by djkimmel, January 16, 2010, 07:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

After talking with KVD about Amazon peacock bass fishing at the big Ultimate Fishing Show, I was almost too excited to work this week. But I gamely made a show of it Monday through Thursday. Even got some work done. Friday was jeans day - special because it is not our normal day - but the big boss decreed we would take all of the $2 per person collected and send it off for Haiti relief to help out.

I was thinking Thursday night that jeans day would help me a little getting through a day where concentration on medical data would be more than a little challenging. Didn't have to worry about that though.

At 4:44 AM I woke up sick to my stomach. Upon running to the bathroom, I found out someone had tilted the bedroom floor about 30 degrees. I made it. Barely... Tried to stand up from the porcelain throne only to find out it wasn't the floor that was tilted, but me. I fell back down. Couldn't stay on my feet.

No matter. In very short order, I needed to be by the old commode anyway as my late night snack decided to leave me the way it came, leaving a burning trail up my esophagus. About every 10 minutes, another episode of heaving followed by several minutes of getting my breath.

I had a 7 month bought with vertigo years ago that I will never fully forget. My wife came in to find me on the bathroom floor translucent pale with a light green shade. I told her I couldn't walk because I kept falling down and since she is half my size... she asked that I not fall on her. Please.

On the third wave of worsening vertigo, having waited about 2 hours for something else to happen, where I actually thought I might prolapse my stomach (I bet that hurts) when that nausea hit me, she called the ambulance.

I did not enjoy that ride much. I don't recall all those bumps and curves before... Besides, they stuck needles in me and asked a bunch of questions I mostly don't recall. Apparently, I had a confusion problem too. More than normal.

In the Ingham ER, they were asking more questions. Some I answered and some I just looked at my wife. Everyone seemed confused there, but after I had my next bought of nausea, the doctor quickly started giving me various pills and injections. I remember he said something about how I was starting to make him sick and he would not stand for it.

At some point, they gave me an injection of valium. Never had that before... don't remember much about having it this time. They say I had a CAT scan during that time, but all I remember was part of a ride down a hallway.

Then seeing a strange machine.

Then I was back in the ER again. Seemed like it took about 3 minutes, but they tell me it was a 'little' longer than that. I just took their word for it. A 'minute' later I opened my eyes and somehow it had become 9:45!?!

After the last round of pills and another injection, I started to feel like maybe I could stand up without the floor slipping or being pulled out from under my feet... the best way I can describe it.

They said I could go home. Call the doctor. Tell him what happened. Take these several pills with you and hope for the best on your flight. I spent most of the day I was supposed to be at work (wife called them and said, "Dan won't be in today. He can't walk or drive.") and then doing the final packing, in bed trying not to look at the ceiling.

I was thinking maybe, after all this waiting, I won't be going to Brazil after all. I'm not enough of a writer to adequately describe that feeling. How about 'bad' for now.

When I got up late last night, I could wobble to the bathroom (not to toss my cookies though, big improvement) without falling over. I still felt pretty queasy so I set the alarm clock for early this morning, took some more pills and thankfully fell asleep. No middle of the night runs to the lavatory either.

Got up this morning and felt a flicker of hope. While every time I moved my head too quickly up or down, or side to side I would lose my sense of balance, otherwise I could walk and I was able to eat some breakfast and keep it with me. As it should be.

So I made the call. Put me in coach! I can do this! Finished packing. Remembered almost everything too.

Then off I go to Gerald R Ford International Airport. Even got there in pleny of time (unlike one of our group who might not make it eeeek!).

I'm sitting in Atlanta right now. My final opportunity to talk to all of you. I'm doing pretty good. My worst fear was that I would be the passenger everyone talked about. Instead, I felt pretty good on the flight. The pills seem to be working. I have the occasional misstep, but so far haven't fallen once. And no tossed cookies...

We are flying out at 9:40 PM to Manaus Brazil before heading up the Rio Negro River to meet up with the boat that will be our home for the next week. I'm still pretty dizzy. Walking down the hall, I take an extra step to the side now and then, but so far no kids staring and pointing. Just looks like I've had an extra beer too many maybe ;D

Most of the guys are here now. I think we are missing two yet. I think I'll make it and just from the stories I've heard so far, I expect to have many more bruises on my stomach than I did last year in Mexico!!!

Everyone should get a chance to do this. Vertigo (great song by the way - U2) or no vertigo. I'm traveling again with Ron Speed Jr's Exotic Outdoor Adventures. If all goes as planned, I hope to lose about 6 pounds from sweating and collect a few hundred pictures of beautiful peacock bass and a bunch of video. It won't be quite the same as being there, but you'll get some feel for the awesome adventure this type of fishing is. I got that promise right from KVD himself!

With me are Randy VanDam, Don Stevens, Nic Owings, Dave Gizzi (I won my first federation tournament out of the back of his boat over 20 years ago), Terry Gizzi and some new friends Jim, Rick and the others I haven't met yet. It's like an 'old-timers' federation reunion (don't tell them I called them old-timers though).

FYI - I'm planning a GreatLakesBass.com return to Mexico next winter. That was the most fun I've had fishing so far. Probably go to El Salto this time. If you are at all interested, start saving your change and drop me a line. You will not regret the adventure!!! I guaranty it!

Couple new guys just showed up. I remember one was with us last January in Mexico. Pat and Jeff. I'll have to find out who else.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Check out the peacock bass information page at Ron Speed Jr's site and see if this doesn't get the fishing juices flowing!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

If you want to get to some exotic fishing with me in the future, check out Ron's Mexico bass fishing page also. That might help you make up your mind about coming down with me next winter. I took some of the pictures that are rotating on the page.

Skip Johnson

good luck down there Dan...I hope your 100% better by the time you set the hook  :)
Go Big or Go Home!

djkimmel

Thanks cnb. I've found good fishing often works better than modern medicine. Hopefully this time will be no different.

djkimmel

Well... 11:40PM and still in Atlanta at the 4th gate. Last plane 'wasn't safe' according to the overhead lady. We were supposed to leave at 9:40PM. They tell if something or other doesn't happen we'll be out at midnight. Fingers crossed.

djkimmel

Shoot! Jinx... The overhead lady just announced our pilots are too tired and now we have to wait for new pilots. 1:40AM departure now... Manaus is about 9 hours away now.

Cheetam

Good luck with everything Dan.  It will all work out.  And I hope you packed that Sebile.  And, I hope you throw it.  And, I hope it gets all torn to crap and you come home with a big smile on your face.  Oh, and after reading your little post, I have decided that, if I ever form a heavy metal band, I will call it "trail up my esophagus".
Jeff

djkimmel

Saving the Sebile for Mexico. Still in Atlanta. Flight now departing at 3:30AM. Maybe...

They did bring water and pop. Then they gave us a bunch of food vouchers. Only 1 place open in the whole airport. They did some business! Manaus now 9 hours away...

djkimmel

3AM and we are finally getting on Delta flight 557 to Manaus.

fiker

Sounds like you'll be there for the evening bite.

Good luck.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

MadWags

Jeesh! I got sick reading this. :o

Stay healthy my friend.
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

River Rat

Um, when you wrote and mentioned "unplanned excitement" in your email you left out a detail or two!  I know you're fishing now but wish ya the best, sir.
Dearborn, MI and Lake Wales, FL

Team houston

I have had vertigo before. Not fun. I have also fished for Peacocks before, VERY FUN.