Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:03:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Your go-to Drop Shot Hook

Started by LAPORTE, December 31, 2009, 04:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAPORTE

What kind of hook do you use when throwing a drop shot. I used a gammie 1/0 wide gap finesse hook most of the year(for larger baits). The smaller baits I use a number 2 wide gap finesse hook.  I started off the year before with the hook with a kick stand on them. which ones are better do you think.... Board

Don L   
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

Waterfoul

1/0 Owner Downshot hook.  I like the longer shank.

Edit: I should add... they are sharper than HECK.  Just look at them wrong and you'll be bleeding!!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

TCook

I think your right on with your hook selection Laporte. Thats the two hooks I use for different sized baits and they work great. I dont like the standout hooks to bulky and as long as you tie the knot correctly the regular finesse hooks stand out parallel.
FISH HARD!!!

fiker

Owner mosquito hook.  #1 or #2 depending.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Durand Dan

champion_206

those stand out hooks are junk, as long as you run your tag end back through your eye, all the hooks stated above will work great
(Certified Evinrude Mechanic) Anglers Marine, Evinrude, Champion Boats,Crooked Creek Pro Staff

Skip Johnson

I use 1/0 Gami drop shot hooks but I lose about 1/3 of the hook ups especialy from the first jump that them Erie smallmouth do so often from deep water, I fiddled around with stand out hooks and Owner and Laser Sharp and a couple more then I had a light bulb come on.

I learned how to drop shot over 30 years ago in California and we didnt use these little rounded finnese hooks very often, we were usualy worming on deep boulders and brushpiles on points in cold water months slowly shaking a 6" worm with a 2/0 or 3/0 offset worm hook and I didnt have near as many of those fish throw hooks.

This last season I started using my 1/0 and 2/0 Gami offset worm hooks and they have had a way better catch ratio, they look a little big and sometimes Im not nose hooking a little finnese bait Im threading it through and out the back.
Im certain Im losing some of my finnese approach but when I set the hook I can put the hurt on them and not worry about tearing out that little hook.

I plan on experimenting Much more with this  ;D
Go Big or Go Home!

dartag

Owner 2/0 Mosquito hook in Red for me.  I use the 3/0 when fishing the Gulp Goby.   
think spring.

thedude

i use the 1/0 or sz 1 or 2 gammie dropshot/finesse hooks also. standouts are junk, i agree as well.
i don't loose hardly any fish on my dropshot rig (granted i don't fish smallies very often) but i use a 7' ML action rod - its rated "fast" but its really quite moderate and i think that helps a ton. A rod that bends down well into the mid-section will really help a lot with not losing fish.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

FishermanJohn

I have been using the Gamakatsu 1/0 (majority) or #2 drop shot hooks (for the very small stuff) and have had a lot of success with these.

Waterfoul

Palomar knots!!  Stand out hooks are for people who haven't learned the Palomar knot yet!!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

dartag

I give up   what is a stand out hook.

Waterfoul

thedude

nice pic mike. a standout hook ironically tied with what appears to be a palomar knot :D
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

SethV

Good topic.  I don't loose many fish with a drop shot, but in 3 of the 5 BFL events I lost at least 1 key fish that cost me. 

I use either the Owner Mosquito in 1 & 1/0 or the Gammy #1 Drop shot hook - depends on the size of the bait.

I plan to spend some time this spring looking for better hooks.

Does anyone use a regular straight-shank hook?  I feel that often the circle-type hook points don't get good penetration in a larger fish.  2 lbers, no problem, but I need to keep the big ones hooked up.

Seth

Waterfoul

Quote from: thedude on January 03, 2010, 03:34:11 PM
nice pic mike. a standout hook ironically tied with what appears to be a palomar knot :D

Right... but the picture is from the Bass Pro website... so it was probably tied by a ... ahem.... Bass Pro.  LOL!!!

fiker

Some of the guys use an Owner straight shanked hook.   Old fashioned worm type hook with a wider rounder bend in it.

I use it with the bigger baits.  I don't remember what size though.  And frankly, it's too cold to go outside and look through the box to find out.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Team houston

When I first started playing with the d-shot a few years ago I put on the only thing I had, which was a small #1 or #2 Gamakatsu offset worm hook. After playing with a bunch of different hooks thru the the years I keep coming back to it. I would guess I lose about 1 out of 10 hookups. So that puts me in the same camp as cast n blast.

Cheetam

Gamakatsu 1/0, #1 or #2 Split Shot/Drop Shot.  Love 'em.
Jeff

dartag

Quote from: jcheetam on January 04, 2010, 09:13:31 AM
Gamakatsu 1/0, #1 or #2 Split Shot/Drop Shot.  Love 'em.

Cheetam talking about drop shotting.   What is this world coming to. ;D ;D