Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:36:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Big Tackle Presence at the Show

Started by WayneC, December 28, 2009, 08:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WayneC

That's great to hear.  Thanks for passing the word about the baits along.  It sounds like you think about fishing all year long well the show won't disappoint you.  There's plenty to do and talk about there.  Look forward to seeing soon.  My booth number is #2251 Xtreme Bass Tackle

karol

not coming up but wer'e gonna have to wait aren't we? :( oh well too hard to fish anyways..karol

WayneC

It's a long trip for you Karol but anyone who knows you can believe you will be there in spirit.  Keep watching this board and my blog at, www.basstothefuture.com to keep up with the event daily.  There will be lots to talk about.

djkimmel

I don't know... this is a great time of year for a road trip!!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Waterfoul

Road Trip!!!

Load up the cars and trucks.  What better thing to do on a winter Saturday than hit a fishing show!?!?!?!?!?
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

WayneC

NEW XTREME BASS TACKLE BAIT PRODUCT RELEASES FOR 2010
Booth #2251

Feature bait: Mayfly
This bait takes in features from more than one species of mayfly seen along the shores of Lake St. Clair.  Once a cream colored mayfly with a chartreuse streak in the wings shows up, the bass feed harder than ever.  This bait has that feature and more.  Available in Drop-shot tube, 4" and 5"

New bait style for XBT:
St. Clair Crayfish Creature Bait/Beaver
St. Clair Crayfish had a strong year in sales which indicates the strength of the bite.  This color has proven itself as a strong crossover bait for largemouth and smallmouth equally.  This style of plastic could indicate that it is going to be a strong largemouth season for some anglers.

Specialty Bait:  Muskegon Goby
Yes, this is my design but the background research was supplied by Cyrus Ruel of Grand Rapids.  Cy got the photos and outline of the characteristics he saw in the field and between myself, Bob Dunlap of Reaper Products and the great folks at the factory the bait matches the elements we look for in a productive bait with fine detail.

Welcome to the XBT family!

thedude

the muskegon goby turned out spectacular!
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

WayneC

Wait until you see it in person...wow!

TCook

Yes I am liking that muskegon goby it looks to be right on with the colors. Now how much does the colors of a goby in muskegon lake differ from gobys in lake Erie? From what I seen on Erie the colors look about the same.
FISH HARD!!!

WayneC

Excellent question...The single most obvious similarity I see is the tendency towards brown in the gobies on Erie.  As they get big the brown becomes more prominent but in a little fella like this Muskegon Lake Goby the brown is more of a highlight.  That comes from my research from several years ago.  

Cy might have a few more things to add but from what he tells me there are distinct orange (sometimes called copper) spots (very small) running through the back which is not something I've seen on Erie.  The belly on the MLG is fairly distinct and the shading stronger as well.

You should get a lot of feedback on this one, (especially from one GLB member in particular I can think of) so this will be fun to see what everyone is seeing out there.  None of this info is adjusted for seasonal differences so there will be some of that to figure in as well.

djkimmel

My first time seeing them too!?! They look great! Guess I better make some more room in the venerable 492VS Ranger!

I might have to see if we need a subspecies variant - the Macatawa Goby since those little suckers are really really dark black with slight brown mottling that is hard to make out?? Or did I just get into a pack of mutants? They were the biggest gobies I'd ever seen so I was thinking mutant anyway?!?

For those that might not know, the drop shot tube is 2 1/2" long.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

WayneC

The drop-shot tube...yeah...well there's a history here but sufficeth it to say, the real spec on those tubes is 2 3/4".  I still struggle with that one Dan because that's the way they were sold to me at first (2 1/2") then along the way someone decided to be more specific.  Anyone ever hear of a 2X4? 

Well, specific is good in this case so what I've done to cover any future changes to the real or perceived length is to just call them drop-shot tubes.  Fini!

djkimmel

Whoops! I must have missed that note in my pro staff newsletter. Sorry.

I always get asked how big (or small) they are.

River Rat

Saw your email while I was on the road earlier and couldn't wait to get home to take a peak.  All I'll say is  - very nice!!!  That MLG could become a player in the "change-up game" when a school cools off.

Nice job, yet again, Wayne!
Scott
Dearborn, MI and Lake Wales, FL

djkimmel

More new tackle news available here - http://www.greatlakesbass.com/forum/index.php?topic=6822.0 and surprise, surprise, it pertains to River Rat / Scott!

River Rat

Thanks for the promo Dan!  I'm looking forward to the show and am jazzed to get this thing rolling!!!

Um, Wayne, upon further inspection, can you save a few days of emailing back and forth about the Mayfly tube?!  I know I bugged you this past year but now you've raised the bar!
Dearborn, MI and Lake Wales, FL

Skulley

I am sure the pictures don't do these new set of baits justice.  I am looking forward to seeing them up close and personal.  I have not been that interested in creature baits to date although I do have some and do catch fish on them.  However, this bait in the St. Clair Craw will be a "must have" especially for the profile. Again, looking forward to seeing them up close and personal Thursday at the show.

BD              ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

WayneC

You won't be disappointed.  The injection process adds a new twist to an already popular and effective color.

karol

hey wayne, that muskegon gobie would also work on the browns and steelheads too right?
  and the walleye wouldn't like it either huh? don't know if the walleye get any size on that side of the state anyways :D

WayneC

It's funny you should mention that.  There are at least two bass baits in my arsenal that have a track record of success on steelies:

4" Skirted Twin Tail Grub - Canadian Mist (You just can't make this stuff up.  It totally saved a 3-day steelhead trip for one of my customers who tried everything else but, until...  They were even taking little pieces of the few they had left and baiting the hook with that)

Tube trailers in white and hot pink - This one makes more sense.