Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:21:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Reel Cleaning Success!

Started by Durand Dan, December 23, 2009, 07:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durand Dan

I've finished cleaning 2 baitcasters and 1 spinning reel so far and no extra parts left over! ;D One observation so far. The Johnny Morris Baitcaster had very little if any dirt and grime in it comparied to  the Diawa Baitcaster and the Stradic Spinning reel. It will be interesting to see how the others clean up.

LAPORTE

Dan

Let me know when you get real good. Ill send over a dozen or so... lol   Practice makes perfect.  ;D  Merry Christmas

Don L
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

fiker

Is there a place, a school, or whatever where a guy can go and learn reel maintenance and repair?
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Bender

Here's an article about it: http://www.probass.net/protips/Articles/reel-cleaning.php
And the official documents from Shimano: http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/customer_service0/reel_maintenance_instructions.html

That's a pretty general cleaning, if a reel needs heavy cleaning or repair I'd send it to Reelman. He did a bunch of mine last year and they were great.
Also for Shimano reels you can download all of their schematics here: http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/customer_service0/Reel_Schematics.html
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

Durand Dan

Quote from: Bender on December 23, 2009, 09:39:57 PM
Here's an article about it: http://www.probass.net/protips/Articles/reel-cleaning.php
And the official documents from Shimano: http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/customer_service0/reel_maintenance_instructions.html

That's a pretty general cleaning, if a reel needs heavy cleaning or repair I'd send it to Reelman. He did a bunch of mine last year and they were great.
Also for Shimano reels you can download all of their schematics here: http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/customer_service0/Reel_Schematics.html

Thanks for those liinks Chris!

REEL_MAN

Taking reels apart is theasy part. The thing is, is to get them back in the correct order and the right orientation. The other thing is is proper lubrication. Different brands require different lubrication, especially when it comes to drags.
Another area many neglect are their rods. Now that it is winter you can check all the guides and reel seats. Make sure that the guides are crack free, wrap is intact and tight to the blank. The reel seat should also be tight.
Now is the time to get the equipment ready and don't forget to take inventory.

Merry CHRISTmas
Reelman
<))))>{

djkimmel

I always seem to put something back on backwards... or upside down.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

fiker

There's that, and also why are there always extra parts left over?

Durand Dan

Quote from: REEL_MAN on December 24, 2009, 08:55:03 AM
Taking reels apart is theasy part. The thing is, is to get them back in the correct order and the right orientation. The other thing is is proper lubrication. Different brands require different lubrication, especially when it comes to drags.
Another area many neglect are their rods. Now that it is winter you can check all the guides and reel seats. Make sure that the guides are crack free, wrap is intact and tight to the blank. The reel seat should also be tight.
Now is the time to get the equipment ready and don't forget to take inventory.

Merry CHRISTmas
Reelman
<))))>{
You got that right! I try to make sure everything is laid out correctly and either oiled or greased to spec. It's amazing how many ways they can go together! I am learning the tricks as I go. Your also right about the drag (or lack of, depending on how you treated it). Nothing that 20 years of experience won't cure

Durand Dan

Quote from: Durand Dan on December 24, 2009, 08:10:16 AM
Quote from: Bender on December 23, 2009, 09:39:57 PM

Thanks for those liinks Chris!
It sure is nice to be able to blow up those drawings 200 to 300%. Easy on the bi-focals ;D

fiker

A couple of winters ago, I purchased a reel cleaning kit at Cabelas. 
Comes with all I needed to do "normal" maintenance on my baitcasters, and spinning reels.  Along with pics on the web it wasn't too bad.

I did however get into a problem with my JM baitcaster and couldn't fix it.

I sent it off to Reelman, and he took care of it in great fashion.

Waterfoul

How can I get ahold of Reel Man?  I tried a PM but no answer.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

fiker

Although Reel man visits here, he doesn't post very often. 

Another member Seth, is his son.  You might try contacting Seth.

E-mail Address(es):   seth.valentine@gm.com

REEL_MAN

The best way to get a hold of me is just to PM me. I try to get back as soon as I can but was a bit slow because of the holiday

Reelman
<))))>{

mikesmiph

What brand of care items do you guys use? I like Ardent because the are a US company. Also, how do I know, from brand to brand, where and how much to lube? I have the schematics for my Shimanos, but I have a bunch of (Phlugers) spelling? too. First time I've ever tried to clean reels, so HELP guys. Thanks

Durand Dan

Quote from: mikesmiph on January 06, 2010, 08:38:56 AM
What brand of care items do you guys use? I like Ardent because the are a US company. Also, how do I know, from brand to brand, where and how much to lube? I have the schematics for my Shimanos, but I have a bunch of (Phlugers) spelling? too. First time I've ever tried to clean reels, so HELP guys. Thanks
It really won't matter much if this is the first time you've done it. They won't ever work again anyway! ;D ;D

Durand Dan

Mike,
As a rule, as in most machanery, you oil bearings and grease gears. The two big exceptions are drag components and the line travel guide. Always use oil on the travel guide. The drag varies from reel manufacturer to manufacturer. Try to ascertain what was on it when you disassemble the reel. Always have the schematics on hand and if possible view them on-line so you can enlarge them.

LipRip

whoops! i put grease on just about everything except my drag disks. For some reason my anti reverse isn't working how it should, i can go in reverse for about a quarter turn. I dont know, it might work itself out!!!!!!

at least i didnt have any left over parts!

Durand Dan

Quote from: LipRip on January 06, 2010, 08:01:05 PM
whoops! i put grease on just about everything except my drag disks. For some reason my anti reverse isn't working how it should, i can go in reverse for about a quarter turn. I dont know, it might work itself out!!!!!!

at least i didnt have any left over parts!
A lot of reels have a one way rachet. Most likely you installed the anti-reverse ratchet upside down(backwards). It will not work itself out, unless you use a monkey wrench! ;D

REEL_MAN

The schematics are very good to have but the one thing they don't tell you is where, what type and how much lube. I find most people use way to much lube and wrong type. Gun oil is very very bad! Also WD40 will attack some materials. If oil comes with your reel use it. Most manufactures send enough oil to last the life of the reel. A pin head drop of oil is about all you need in most locations, especially bearings. Also, applying oil to the gears with the grease helps the feel, just don't go over board on the lube.

Reelman
<))))>{