Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:26:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Trying to put together the best tournament possible for you guys

Started by sterk149, December 19, 2009, 10:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waterfoul

Open for sure.  You don't have to run to win.  Ask Neilson.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

macbass

senkoluvr if your boat is not quest registered you should consider doing so...There is other quest sanctioned toournaments in the state that you are eligible for quest money in if you are registered...all quest sanctioned tournaments are posted on the basscat web site...also boat doesnt have to be purchased from a specific dealer to qualify for quest money. just has to be quest registered...

IF ITS NOT A CAT ITS A DOG: BASSCAT PERFORMANCE BOATS www.thedropshotdenny.com www.hookednhunted.com

senkoluvr

Quote from: Return On Investment Outdoors on December 27, 2009, 12:21:36 AM
I VOTE FOR OPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

ESPECIALLY WHEN THE GRAND RIVER TOURNEY IS LAUNCHING OUT OF HARBOR ISLAND WHICH IS MAYBE A 10 min. RIDE TO LAKE MICHIGAN.  NOT TO MENTION IT WILL BE GOOD PRACTICE FOR WHEN THE BFL COMES BACK IN 2011 8)

RUNNING IS A CONCIOUS DECISION AND ANYONE WITH A BOAT HAS THE CHOICE - the arguement can flipped around as well guys with the smaller boats can go in places the bigger boats can't so where does it end.

I thought ROI was about protecting the lakes and the fish? Conservation minded. Why do you guys think Places like the Grand and Mona are down compaired to what they used to be, I think it is from to many tears of fish being taken from those lakes and not returning!

I don't care if it is open or not just wondering.

oldjigger

I think your dreaming if you think very many have run from Muskegon to portage.  I think all lakes cycle. White lake used to be big on smallies.  there were times when if you didn't run out of the grand you couldn't probably win or place and seven years later if you didn't run to the grand the other was true.  I have did this game for 33 years fishing bass tournaments.  I say close the big lake and keep every one on an even playing field.  on the west side we have that opportunity which they don't have on the east side because of the vast rivers and lakes all connected on the east side.  

Dick

Waterfoul

Well if the lake is going to be closed then there is NO reason to launch from Harbor Island for the Grand tourney.  The ramp at the entrance to Stearns Bayou (an indian name which escapes me at the monent) is a better ramp anyway.  And cheaper!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Ranger5Smallie

Keep it open!  Especially on the Grand.  If you are gonna launch dowtown Grand Haven you might as well let them run.

macbass

old jigger you been doing this longer than most of us have been alive. shoot you started when most boats still had oars...

IF ITS NOT A CAT ITS A DOG: BASSCAT PERFORMANCE BOATS www.thedropshotdenny.com www.hookednhunted.com

senkoluvr

Quote from: Waterfoul on December 27, 2009, 11:13:03 AM
So you're saying if you run, you cheat?  I beg to differ.

Waterfoul makes a good point, Keeping the lake open increases the chance of a team cheating! Just ask Oldjigger he knows first hand..... He caught a couple of guys that were cheating.

oldjigger

Mac Bass
you were there two, in the 80's when Redman would pull 150 boats as a draw indiv,  then team Mi would pull 150 as well as tri state with a waiting list full at 150.
   Redman would start in Ind at wawasee,  the Grand, Saginaw Bay, Muskegon,  Wixom later replaced by St Clair.  At that time there were more guys or equal from the west side fishing.  but with todays schedule of BFL and all tourneys over there It's definitly an east side tourney whom fish smallies all the time.
this is always fun but it doesn't represent the all- around fisherman in Mi.

JohnBoy

Maybe you should put up a pole and see what the percentage will be. Looks like 4 to 2 in favor of open right now.

I dont believe people will cheat any more or less whether its open or not. I know it probably happens somewhere but I like to think most tournament anglers are trustworthy.

ROI Outdoors

Quote from: senkoluvr on December 27, 2009, 03:02:44 PM
Quote from: Waterfoul on December 27, 2009, 11:13:03 AM
So you're saying if you run, you cheat?  I beg to differ.

Waterfoul makes a good point, Keeping the lake open increases the chance of a team cheating! Just ask Oldjigger he knows first hand..... He caught a couple of guys that were cheating.

If a guy is going to cheat he is going to cheat no matter what body of water the tournament is on; until someone has the money to put cameramen on every single boat and uses instant reply to review every fish caught we will have to rely on the fact that most the guys participating are sportsmen.  Like JB just said - it happens but most tournament anglers trustworthy.

If water is connected it should be fair game; if you close of a certain area with the goal of "leveling the playing field" then why not close off areas like T-Cove because it isn't fair for the bigger boats that can't get into those tight areas.  Running has it's risks and rewards - it costs a TON of money in wear and tear, fuel, and time lost.  Closing of Lake Michigan CONNECTED waters to "Level the playing field" only amplifies potential problems; what about the guys that can't run up river on the Grand, or get into shallow areas?  If you have a jet boat then you should be able to use it, if you have a 22 footer with a 300HP you should be able to use it as well.

From a conservation standpoint if a fish gets taken from Mona and released at Muskegon it does affect Mona negatively but affects Muskegon positively so it equals out.  What about all the BASS & FLW tourneys they have on fisheries with locks?  They don't discriminate because the fish still live.  If water connects and you can get there without getting out of your boat then it should be fair game.

All that said I know the Tournament Director Chad Sterkenburg will make the best decision with only the best interests of putting together the best tournament possible for us.
Luke A. Winstrom - Founder/President
Return On Investment Outdoors
luke.winstrom@roioutdoors.com
Direct Line - (616) 366-1395
Visit us Online @ www.roioutdoors.com

macbass

you are right old jigger i was there and i figure i can catch just as good of fish on muskegon as i can in the grand or white. and dont have to run to do it...and it is a lot safer also just have to pick and choose your day to run....but you just put all the smaller boats at a disadvantage....because common sense will take over and there isnt a green thing that swims wirth taking a life for....and again if there is 150 boats you have to run because muskegon will get awful smalll in a hurry...but you need to walk before you run....

senkoluvr

If you let them run why go to 4 differant lakes, just go back to muskegon then let them go where they want, It just gets back to the ROI part of the tournament Return On Investment. Fishing a 12 boat tournament against someone that is going to run 30 or 40 miles and have a lake to themselves is not smart economics you pay 2 spots on 12 boats looks like you are fishing for 2ND place to start the tournament.....

I think that if you are trying to bring a new group of guys to fish the lakeshore shuting the lake off would get some new blood to fish your tournaments.

You have to do things other than "BIG PAYBACKS" to get guys to fish, You have to look at the guy that may not win a dime all year, what dose he want in a tournament.

I hope that you do not make the same mistake as most all the tournaments in the area by listening to just a  small group of friends to make decisions look at what the tournaments around you are doing wrong and do the opposite. and don't let your personal opinion make the decision for you. Talk to some of the guys that have been around for years like Dick, he has seen a lot more than most of you will ever see he is a wealth of tournament knowledge.

macbass

senkoluvr you are correct if there is less than 50 boats why run...if you get to the point the lake starts fishing small because of to many entries open it up....but at this time it doesnt seem to be an issue...

sterk149

Quote from: sterk149 on December 19, 2009, 10:12:01 AM
I am running the ROI Camp & Cruise Lakeshore Elite Series this year, I have 20years of tournament experience and have fished just about every tournament that has come and gone through the years! I am not going to make inflated statements to you guys about payouts or prizes in these tournaments - I will only give you facts and  what will happen!not pipe dreams of the someday we might be able too's -Last year the ROI tournament were run POORLY ( I am not saying anything bad about what Luke was doing - He just didn't have the experience needed to run a tournament  - He is better at getting sponsors participation) So here is the FACTS about this years ROI.

1. The best dam run tournament that I can do.
2. Keep it simple ( Sign-up -fish -weigh-in -win your money and have fun doing it )
3. Give back MORE MONEY than they paid in entry fees  ie. over a 100% payback!!
4. Weigh-ins - will be consistant - and professional ran - that's what you and I expect.
5. I will not disrespect or talk trash about anyother tournament circut - No one intends to run a bad circuit some just do it better than others.
6. I will not take money out of the entry fees to pay for me running these tournaments. In my position the more guys come and fish and hopfully support the sponsor the more it will help me - ie. boats sales, service and accessories - that's were the gain is for myself.

So there you have it guys! plain and simple -  I want the same as every guy out there - something better. With hard work I know that's what you will get.

Also Please support  ( Lake Drives tournaments ) They are working very hard to give you guys a Great payout !!!! that's why you will see that their 3 tournaments and our 4 tournament do not over lap on each other - Between theirs and ours, guys will have a full years worth of great paying  - well run tournaments.

ROI Outdoors  presnts
Camp & Cruise Lakeshore Elite Series

$90 Entry Fee with an Optional $10 Big Bass
$81 pays back per entry
$ 9 goes towards the Classic Fund
Paying 1 for 6 entries paid
$10 Membership

Go to www.roioutdoors.com to see the full payback table or open the attached word document.

This is a 100%  +  Pay –Back  tournament circuit

Ice Mountain Team of the Year Award = $1000
*At the first tournament of the year 1 lucky team will be drawn for  $2500 "Rigging Your Boat Right Prize"
1.  Minn Kota 80# 24V Fortrexx
2.  Humminbird 798SI Fishfind/GPS

And this is just the beginning of what ROI has planned for this year: The will be gift certificates and other prizes to be won at every tournament.

Camp & Cruise - Sales
RDT- Reel Deal Tournaments - Owner/ tournament director

Chad@campandcruise.com

JohnBoy

I'm not saying anything to put down or bash anybody or organization but with all the talk about 100% payout I think that is bit  misleading. What it should say is 90% payout at the ramp. When everyone talks about payouts they always talkabout the payout at the ramp. If you are going to praise 100% + payout lets take Alick at the rest of the tournament circuits. BBT pays out around 70%at the ramp and 90% if you count the classic and then add in all the prizes and its 100%+. NBAA pays out 70% at the ramp and well over 100% if you include the classic. Same with BFL, etc. I remember CATT payed out 90% at the ramp and gave away a boat at the classic which would make them well over the 100%. I just think it should be stated that its a 90% payout instead of a 100% payout on the flyer. I also think this makes it like most of the other tournaments out there other than Little more payout at the ramp and less at the classic than most. YES THESE ARE MY OPINIONS AND DONT TAKE THEM THE WRONG WAY. Just stating some facts that need to be cleared up. I know Chad is doing all this for free and I appreciate that I just think it should be stated correctly.

JB

TCook

BBT pays 63% at the ramp and 83% when its all said and done. They pocket some decent cash for running that circuit. From what I can tell BBT counts all the prizes (probably all free from sponsers) that most guys dont want as part of the payout and pockets the cash. Someone on here also said that Russ and the 4 guys that help run these tournaments fish for free. This puts that number up to 70% at the ramp but in reality its 63%.
FISH HARD!!!

JohnBoy

Quote from: TCook on December 28, 2009, 02:03:00 PM
BBT pays 63% at the ramp and 83% when its all said and done. They pocket some decent cash for running that circuit. From what I can tell BBT counts all the prizes (probably all free from sponsers) that most guys dont want as part of the payout and pockets the cash. Someone on here also said that Russ and the 4 guys that help run these tournaments fish for free. This puts that number up to 70% at the ramp but in reality its 63%.

Ok BBT is a little less but you get my point.

Monkey-Man

JohnBoy,

I down loaded the attachment : The tournament pay out table : and this series seems to be paying out way more money - not just a little more ( on a $90 tournament ) than anyone else I can find, anywhere though-out Michigan. As for the stated 100% + pay out - I can't find anywhere that they posted that said it was at the ramp. The flyer on the attachment shows where all the money is going, and who else has a $10 membership - I don't want to sound like I am talking for the ROI guys but DAM it sure looks like their trying hard to make a good tournament " Thanks Guys "

JohnBoy

Yes it does look like they are trying run a good circuit. All Im saying is if these other tournament circuits put on their flyers that they payout 100%+ they would be hammered for doing so. No it doesnt say at the ramp but when most circuits put what they payout it is at the ramp. If you want to get right down to it then NBAA pays out way more than any tournement circuit in Michigan. If you want to talk about at the ramp then ROI would be right there. I wasnt saying they dont pay out more at the ramp because they do, all I was saying is they only payout 90% at the ramp and it should state that.