Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:02:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Cody Harris and Danny Sprague fish the JR world championship

Started by motocross269, October 28, 2009, 04:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motocross269

Alot going on this week for Michigan anglers..We don't want to forget about our JR sticks...These 2 guys' weights were key for Michigan winning the BASS Divisional and a new Skeeter boat...Now they are headed down to fish for the World title...

Andy Crawford
John Duarte's fishing skills will be tested against those of other anglers his age, Friday at the JWC. John Duarte Jr. has a big week ahead of him. The 14-year-old aspiring pro bass fisherman has the opportunity to add two big titles to his pro angler résumé, both in the same day.

This Friday, Duarte is the only dual qualifier in the two competitions for young anglers, the 2009 Junior Bassmaster World Championship (JWC) and the 2009 Bassmaster CastingKids National Championship.

"I'd like to do well in both of them," says Duarte. "I've been practicing my flip, pitch and cast for the CastingKids competition, and I've been doing a lot of research on the computer for fishing on Lake Yale for the JWC."

John Duarte Sr., Duarte's father, is confident in his son's abilities. "He's definitely a good fisherman," says Duarte Sr. "He's taught me a lot. We've even fished as a team in some tournaments."

Duarte Jr.'s skills will be put to the test this week in the JWC, where he'll be representing the Mid-Atlantic Division. He will be fishing in the younger group, ages 11 to 14, against Ralston Lusby, Central; Tanner Plumlee, Southern; Lowell Turner, Eastern; Danny Sprague, Northern; and Nick Jakobi, Western.

Each angler will be paired with the other competitor from his division in the other age group. That means Duarte will be fishing with Mid-Atlantic representative Frank Appaluccio from the older age group, ages 15 to 18. Appaluccio's competitors are Craig Conger, Central; Ross Burns, Southern; Jake Sasnowski, Eastern; Cody Harris, Northern; and Jake Cook, Western.

Each pair of anglers will go out on Lake Yale for practice Thursday with their boat captain, who will be either a volunteer from the B.A.S.S. Federation Nation or from BASS staff. The boat captain can mentor and teach the children on practice day; on competition day, Friday, they serve only as boat drivers and safety observers and cannot assist the anglers.

"We want them to learn from their boat captains and have a good time," says Stacy Twiggs, senior manager, B.A.S.S. Federation Nation Youth. "We want them to become even better anglers and be able to move into the adult ranks when it's time."

These young competitors are already very talented, Twiggs says. "They're so much better than when this program first began a few years ago. You can see it in their efficiency, the techniques they use, the weights they bring in, and abilities and skill levels they have.

"It's amazing what they've learned in a few short years," adds Twiggs. "I'm blown away that when the JWC started in 2004, we had fewer than 20 states participate, and now we have entries from every state and some international competitors."

This Friday, the young anglers will launch at 7:30 a.m. at Lake Yale East in Eustis, Fla. They have until 2:30 p.m. to fish, and the weigh-in will begin by 4 p.m. Check Bassmaster.com Friday evening for winners.

Savage

Well I ran into Danny at the awards banquet and he was just busting to tell me about the BOAT that he won at the JR world championship!  He finished in 2nd place, but the kid in front of him was not signed up with the "Alliance" so the boat went to the highest Alliance finished which just happened to be Danny.  Sounds like a nice boat, quite a bit nicer than my first boat and I was 25 when I got mine.

Congrats Danny, and make sure you call me whenever you want some help with a lake.
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

BryanP

djkimmel

That is a good question...

for a tax professional anyway.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

Good article in Bass times in the editorial about Cody and Danny..
Dave Precht rode with them during the Championship...

You know you have hit the big time when Dave Precht includes you in his editorial...He had nothing but great things to say..

Way to represent Michigan, Cody and Danny......

I couldn't find the article on the Bassmaster website, maybe someone with better internet skills than me can pull it up...
The title is "A day on the lake with kids"  By Dave Precht...