Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 09:33:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Braid?

Started by Ryan, April 11, 2006, 08:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan

First of all, I want to say what a great site this is.? I have been watching it nearly everyday since last summer and have learned a ton and have enjoyed many interesting posts.? I really like to just sit back and read what everyone else says but while getting my poles rigged up for the season, I decided to spool one with braid.? I have never used braid but figured that it was about time to try it out.? My question is this, In what situations does braid really shine and is there anything I need to know before using it?? I have heard something about it not holding knots well but I don't know if I am just confused.

Any help would be great! Thanks

-Ryan

canvsbk

IMO braid really shines when you're throwing a spinner bait. I think alot of times it gives you too much feel, maybe the fish feels you.
The stren knot works quite nicely, I know of no others.
Braid kinda comes and goes in my life, currently we're not on speaking terms.
Look past what they want you to see.

fishstick

it really works great with carolina rigs, frogs, and flipping. I have found that you can do anything with it as long as you vary rod action accordingly or go with something like fireline as it fishes different then braids do. I havent had any trouble with using the palomar knots with braid. I'm a big fan of the stuff

Dan

Ah yes, braid. Got to have a mono backing or it slips on the reel. Use a double uni knot, no blood knots or nail knots. If you use six pound braid and tie a flourocarbon leader use that same uni knot and always match leader to braid. 6 lb braid use 6 lb. floro. etc. My hook knot for braid has always been a polamar. I use it for most everything except cranks and top water.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

djkimmel

I don't know that I've ever had a knot slip, but I leave a little longer tag end on a Palomar knot. I sometimes tie a small overhand knot on the tag end with heavier braid on large hooks. Been doing it for so long, I just keep doing it. Maybe because I have heard of the knots slipping.

I like braid for flipping/pitching, slop, skipping under docks and some deep current fishing to name a few off the top of my head.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Cheetam

I use braid on all of my rods for all applications.  Smaller diameter means deeper presentations for crankbaits, less drag when fishing the river/channels, etc.  I like the fact that there is no stretch, so you can feel everything from the thump of a spinnerbait blade to the shimmy of a crankbait.  Where it really shines is when throwing a jig, a worm, a carolina rig, and any other application where "feel" is needed.  It also is great for topwater (since braid floats) and is the only thing I would throw when tossing a buzzbait or frog through heavy weeds.  I use a flouro leader when necessary, but I bump up the diameter of the leader.  For 6-8 pound diameter braid I will tie on a 12-17 pound flouro leader (I had problems at first with the flouro leader breaking when matching it diameter to diameter with the braid and haven't had any problems since bumping up the braid diameter...but that's just me).  Like fishstick pointed out, having the right action rod is the key to fishing braid in some applications (like crankin').  I use a palomar knot when tying directly to the bait and a Stren knot when connecting braid to a leader...Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Jeff

Revtro

Welcome to the Forum Ryan!  One note about fishing in current... Use a leader.  Mono or Floro, it doesn't matter.  But you'll be glad to have a leader to break off when you snag in heavy current.  So if you fish rivers with heavy current, use one.  Also, don't waste money by spooling up your entire reel with braid.  I spool half mono and half braid.  You'll likely never spool off enough line to get down to the mono anyway, so it's a great money saver to use a backer line.  I always use a Palomar knot on the business end.  I've never had a Palomar slip with braid or any other line.  There is no other knot IMO.

Again.. Welcome.  Hope you enjoy posting!
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

MaizeNBlue

I love using braid line, I use it most when fishing tubes in St. Clair, esp deep, or when using a sweet beaver. When I spool it on, I always wrap a piece of electrical tape around the spool first, if not, it will slip, I promise. Also I use a palomar knot when using it, hope this helps, and welcome to the board.

Andy

fire line rocks just use a mono backer a palomar knot and hang on.

yukonjack2

Ryan:  welcome to the boards - I echo many of the posts above, all have some merit in your decision.  My $0.02 - I use braid for slop/frog fishing, dock fishing and carolina fishing with a fluoro leader, and jerk baits.  Note of observation - definately use a mono backing on your spool for slippage and spacer, as you only need about 100 yds of braid on there.  Secondly, After using fireline and stren braid with success albeit limited - wind looping around the rod tip was a continual problem, as well as the line digging into the side of the spool.  One of the FLW pros told me to try Power Pro 65 lb or higher.  It appears to be a little stiffer- no wind looping, and did not dig in at all.  This was for baitcasting applications.

For spinning applications, the wind looping is still a problem, but I think you could get away with 50 lb for more finesse techniques and still be satisfied.

Welcome aboard!

Jack
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

Revtro

I have had good success with the new Spiderwire Stealth.  I use 35lb. and don't seem to get much line digging or looping.  I had a real rough time with Fireline, although it is pretty tough. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

fowlmouth

while we are on this subject I have a question also, all of my spools are drilled and when I put power pro on I fed the line through the holes and did not tie it on, am I doomed?
I have always done this with mono and have had no problems, does the braid slip that much?

P.S.-Welcome Ryan! I am new here too and really value all the brains we get to pick!

fiker

Everybody already told you everthing!
I've used Fireline, and now use mostly Power Pro. 
Keeps my hands cleaner.

The tips about putting a backing of either tape or mono on the reel are very important.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

stackenem

If you do spool your entire reel with the fireline once the front half gets worn out just tie to another reel and spool it on with the front half as the back half double duty. I do this all the time as fireline has no memory it makes it easy to get twice the use out of it.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

Ryan

Wow!  Thank you all for such informative and quick responses.  That is what makes this site so neat.  Thanks again.

-Ryan

MaizeNBlue

How tough is Fireline? Well let me tell you a story, was running back to the launch with all my rods in my rod locker. Some how my rods got a little tangled up in there, A rod with 12lb fire line got wrapped around another real, my Quantum PT real, and acted like a ban saw, dam near cut in in half, not sure if I should tell Berkly about how tough there line is, or Quantum about there quality???

MaizeNBlue

O and I put the electrial tape on my spinning rod spools, I don't use braid on any baitcasters. I'm a lite line fisherman, don't think I have used anything heaver than 17lb test, even in tourney's. May explain a few things *rolls eyes* However 2 years ago, in a tourney on Cass,  I did catch a 4lb smallie on 6lb fireline using my ultralite rod, sure it took about 10 mins to land him, and my boater shook his head the entire time, o did I mention the lure I was using??? Mepps #3 Black Fury, yea that's right, but dear god what a fight! OK I've rambled on enough!!!

stackenem

Hey Maize don't feel bad about the lite line thing I use mainly 6 and 8lb mono. Try 4lb smallie on that heart attack city.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

fiker

I"ve used Fireline, Fusion, and Power Pro.

I like the power pro the best.  It's round, it doesn't leave a mess on my hands, and it's green.
Fireline is a very close second.

I use a Palomar knot on everything, and I've never had a problem.

When I'm in a situation where I wonder/worry about hiding my line, I use a snap swivel at the end, and use a Fluorocarbon leader.

I buy the braid, and I seem to get away w/ a less expensive rod, but have the sensitivity.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

MaizeNBlue

stackenem, that's my idea of a good time!!! Sure beats pulling one in on piano wire, no skill involved in that.