Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:19:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Where to go near Wixom?

Started by SethV, April 10, 2006, 11:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SethV

Hi guys!  I am looking for a place close to Wixom that I can hit in the evenings for a few hours.  I would like a place that I can take my son (2 yrs old) that we can just have some fun.  If there are weeknight tx's it would be a bonus.  I live in north Wixom, off of Potter rd.

What about these lakes?  Speed limit?  Boat ramp, fees and location?

Wolverine?

Walled Lake?

Kent Lake?

Any others within 5 - 10 minutes?  Short attention span of a 2 yr old, I don't want to go far away if we may only be out 30 - 45 min.

Thanks guys!

Seth V

MBell

Kent, lots of fish and most are easy.  You can also go shallow with live bait for gills, fun for the kids.  The lake has a 10mph speed limit, this is not no wake as some people on the lake think, it's 10mph which in most boats is a lot of wake.  You won't have any problems with boat traffic out there because of the speed limit.  I think it's $44 for you car and boat for the year, this is for all of the metro parks so it's worth it.  If you go out there this time of year they may tell you the lake is down and the ramps are hard to launch on but it's never been a problem for me. 
-Matt

fishon1219

Wolverine lake is also a pretty good lake with lots of panfish action. When I have went there during the week after work there has been no lake attendant so it was free. Also if you have a yearly sticker for your vehicle they usually don't bother to see if you have one for the boat at the metroparks. I have never bought one for the boat and only once have i got the parking ticket($6). I am in no way condoning illeagle activity, I just like to play the system. The signs at the DNR ramps say $? when attendant on duty. In fact last season I never even bought a DNR boat ramp sticker and only had to pay one time all season and it was tournament day on wolverine lake.
The only reason I got caught was I was a little bit late. 
Nemesis Baits Pro-Staff
www.nemesisbaits.com

McCarter

Lower Pettibone lake is another great lake, especially for kids.

Full of gils, bass, and pike.  No fishing pressure.  small lake, lots of docks and drops.

I live in Wixom.  I take my neices and nephews to Pettibone to fish. 

PoorBoy himself :-\'

MaizeNBlue

I used to live in Wixom off of Beck, Cass is pretty good, if you get yourself a map, and take the back roads, avoid the 15 mile to Orchard lake route, way to much traffic. Wolverine is pretty good for pan fish, and has some walleyes in it. Good luck.

Dan

Okay, yes I am a West sider, but where is Wixom???
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Potter

WAY south of here!

Greetings from exit 212 ;D

potter

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

fiker

I always watch the big rock near I-96 bridge to see if the water is up on Kent.

The rock is almost submerged, so the water should be ok.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

McCarter

The water is all the way up at Kent Lake now.  Water temps are 50 degrees.  This is information i got from MaizeNBlew.  I have not been out there in a while.

Hopefully, i will have some time to get my boat all prepped for the season this weekend.  Then, once the season opens up i can get out there and start doing some reports.

But you never know, i might have to get out there and do some panfishing here soon.

dartag

been some guys out in a Nitro this week..  must be crappie fishing.

SethV

Thanks guys!  I think I might head over to Kent tomorrow and check it out.  I hope to find some nice brown "catfish" or some green "crappie".   ;D

I suppose the "catfish" should be starting the prespawn dance now, with that water in the 50's.

Thanks for the info!

Seth V

McCarter

you might see a few brown catfish moving up to stake claim to a bedding spot, but the bulk of them will move up once the water hits about 55 degrees.

my favorite stink bait for this time of year when i am after catfish is a 1/2 oz lazer craw pattern rattle trap.  Burn baby burn.  cover lots of water, keep moving along the shorelines. 

MaizeNBlue

There has been some guy out there in a white Lund, but pay no attention to this man, he is fishing for pan fish  ;), and what may look like he is trowing traps, and jerk baits, well those are really just oversized crappie jigs. Who doesn't fish for pan fish with baitcasters? The DNR has finshed there survey, and pulled all there nets, just FYI.

SethV

Hey Guys-

Thanks for the great info.  I went over to Kent on Friday for a few hours.  Beautiful place for sure.  Takes a while to get around at 10 mph, but I can see why the slow speed with all of the canoes.  Never seen so many people paddlin' around a lake in my life. 

We had a great time, felt good to be on the water and catch a few.

Seth V