Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:30:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

rod tip repair

Started by fiker, April 08, 2006, 07:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiker

I have two rods that need repair.  I have to glue new tips on them.

I've heard that there is a special glue that should be used.  (violin glue?)

Does anybody know?
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

yukonjack2

I never heard of such a glue - I use a hot melt that I also use for aluminum archery inserts.  Seems to work fine so far.  I would take a piece of emory cloth and rough up the surface to make sure the paint coating is off the rod potion to give the glue something to bite on.  I would bet gorilla glue (polyurethane would work well as wel - waterproof and strong.

Jack
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

dartag

read this post and remembered i have to replace a tip on my rod.  just did it while watching Bassmasters.  used a lighter to  heat up the old tip and remove it.  then Hot Glue to attach the new one.

thanks for the reminder. 

ss

Cheetam

You can pick up the glue at Dick's, Gander, etc.  It comes in a stick and you basically heat it up with a lighter, put some in the new rod tip and slide it on the rod tip.  If you want to finish it off and make it look like a professional job, put some two part epoxy around the edge of the tip.
Jeff

fowlmouth

Gorilla glue would work, but it expands as it dries so it may push the tip back off,
you will need to find some way to keep it on until it is dried.

dartag

the stuff i have is ferrel cement i think pflueger made it.,? it is a glue stick you heat up.? used it on my waders years ago and it still holds..

Roy Randolph

I build custom rods and the glue used is a standard 5 min 2 part epoxy by flex coat

You heat the old one up with a lighter then remove it

Next use an exacto knife to remove any of the old glue left on the tip.

Mix your epoxy and take the top and force some of the epoxy in the tube of the top then spread a little around the tip of the rod.

When putting the top on the rod twist it around and make sure the glue is worked in well, it doesn?t take much glue at all to hold the right size top on the rod.

Last some tops will allow glue out near the guide so watch for this not allowing any to get on the guide. Once the top is in place use your finger to remove excess glue, don?t worry if there is a little left you can remove it once the glue dries for 15 minutes with the exacto knife.

TIP: do not apply heat to the wrap in front of the tip, you can heat the tip at the guide and as soon as you see a small puff of smoke use the exacto knife to hook the tip and pull it off. Do not use pliers due to this may crush the tip of the rod.

The top should fit snugly on the rod prior to applying the glue, if there is a lot of play try and find another top that fits better.

I have seen some of these stick glues get soft when the rod is left on the hot carpet of the boat during the summer and the top will turn or even come off.
Help a handicapped angler live his dream!

MBell

I don't like to hot melt glue for rod tips.  I just use plain old super glue, holds better than you'd ever need.  A quick heat up with the lighter, and it comes right off.  Makes for quick changes on the water if you ever need it.  I also don't wrap my tips. 
-Matt