Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:58:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

2010 Schedule???

Started by skeeterman190, October 12, 2009, 05:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bshaner

But they are ok with overlapping their own Stren Northern division (which will draw Michigan boat/co's out of the BFL's) twice.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

Jighead

Not so much that it overlapped with BASS, but rather that it was on the same (connected) body of water.
www.YUM3x.com
www.BooyahBaits.com
www.XCaliburTackle.com
www.BomberLures.com
www.SilverThread.com

djkimmel

Right. On the same water same time. FLW has always held that their tiered system is designed specifically for anglers who want to work their way up through the pro ranks, not so everyone can fish them all. I expect that costs them some boats sometimes, but I do like the system of working your way up without having a huge gap of cost between the bottom level and the top level with nothing in between for those anglers who want to make a go of it.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

bshaner

Dan I understand your statement and agree with it.  It is a valid statement, but it really doesn't provide any reasoning as to the point I was trying to make.   Had I complained about them overlapping a BFL with a Series or Tour event date then ya, a BFL is at the lowest rung of the ladder with mid level trails inbetween.  The Strens, however are still a regionalized closer to home trail and overlapping the states in the same region just doesnt make good sense.  Especially when those states are struggling for numbers.  I know several guys who fish Strens and BFL's but will choose Stren over a BFL.   Our numbers are struggling and they know it, why add another reason for the numbers to go down?

B

EDIT:  I just eyeballed it so I might have missed a date or two but I dont see a single Stren, Series or Tour event that overlaps dates amongst all 3 for the entire year.  So, technically, someone could fish them all.  I wonder if that was pure luck, or specific planning?
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

dashaver63

Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but even though FLW has moved one St. Clair tournament to the Detroit River, Isn't there still basically 4 tournaments you could fish St. Clair? Just a more centralized launch where anglers have a choice to fish Erie too. I also saw where the Stren is going out of Erie PA. for their Erie tournament next year. I wonder about how having 5 big tournaments in the same area will affect the fishing as the season goes on, 4 of them going out of Elizabeth Park.

Mark117

Didn't we have this same talk last summer? I was talking about a regional at Detroit river and sending 12 anglers to the ALL-AMERICAN from the MI division? Whatever?
eastside/westside FLW does not care? I said if the BFL had a REGIONAL EVENT AT THE DETROIT RIVER in Oct. fishing for a NEW truck and boat. They would draw 150+ boats at every tournament. PERIOD!!
Skeeterman and ebond said no problem fishing against locals at Ft. Madison. Now I hear people talking about how 5 locals are going to the ALL-AMERICAN fishing their home water?

FISHING THE DETROIT RIVER 3 or 4x's?
BASS TIP: Put 3 gallons of gas in boat and never leave the Trenton channel? Can you say retreads!

To anyone that cares I have been calling it the "smallmouth division" for the past 3 yrs!

I perdict the Burt/mullet bfl will draw less than 100 boats? sad but true? no state fish off on Sunday, 22 1/2 lbs to cash a check, and Chad pipens going for 3 in a row???  HELLO MUSKEGON!!

djkimmel

I would imagine FLW Outdoors would prefer to not have any conflicts with their own circuits, or even with other circuits if possible, to maximize potential turnout. They seem to try. I know I would try to do so myself. Not always possible though.

I still think overall, we have not had a regional here because of a combination of facilities, local community support and the risky weather we have that time of year here. It's just easier for them to go elsewhere probably.

I know several times BASS or FLW considered us for bigger and better things, a lack of the local community support they can get elsewhere was just enough to kill the deals including the first time BASS considered us for the Classic way back when Blanchard was governor.

I'd love to see more large events here in Michigan. We just have additional challenges trying to make that happen that many other states do not have. Things have improved, but still have a ways to go.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Team houston

I dont consider Erie Pa the same area as Elizabeth park. I am quite certain that if a place like Guntersville can handle tons of pressure, that Erie can.

rufus

No doubt about it, Erie has no problem handling the pressure. I have been to a lot of fisheries and Erie is the only one where you can find a school of bass that can hold up for 4 days. I was on three schools of fish this year in 30 fow that literally caused my H-bird to misread the depth!!!! You would pull one up and 30 smallies would be with him, you just gotta love that lake. It really shocked me that the overall weights were down this year out there, because Erie was fishing like it did 5 years ago as far as fish being everywhere.
As far as Elizabeth Park being on 3 times, I do like that. I don't know why, but I just like Erie better than St Clair. I have somehow gotten lucky and managed 3 top 10's on St Clair the last 3 years, but Erie is more my style.
Don't get me wrong though, I absolutely love fishing the West side of the state and have always told BFL officials that I would love to see at least one if not two over there. I prefer Muskegon over the Grand, just because you have more options, but I don't care either way. I just like to go fishing and I cut my teeth on these little natural Indiana lakes. I love jerking a largie out of a weedmat with only 5 feet of line.
As far as regionals on Kentucky Lake that will be very nice. I know that we will still be facing some local knowledge, but at least we will be on a fishery that has the fish available. It will be our own fault if we don't find them. If we were going back to the river my father-in-law has already told me I would be prefishing alone  ;D. At least on Kentucky when we could not find the bass we can stop at some feeding 'gulls and catch some stripers or whiteys. The only thing I could pattern on the Mississippi were the drum (I know Sheepshead ;)). Anyway, I hope to see you guys all next year and the season is not over the bite is red hot!!! on Erie right now if you want numbers and the chance at a smallie of a lifetime. I took a buddy over last week because he is a smallie addict, but only fishes for them around home and had yet to catch one over 5. Well, his best 5 (he weighed all of them :D) went 26-4 at days end. He had 2 5-8's, a 5-6, a 5-1, and a 4-13. Not bad for 7 hours of fishing and he has called me 3 times this week wondering when we are going back. Now he wants a 6!!!!
God Bless Everyone!!!!

Team houston

I can't wait to get back to Kentucky lake again also. Knock wood.

Jighead

Quote from: Team houston on November 18, 2009, 02:40:58 PM
I can't wait to get back to Kentucky lake again also. Knock wood.
Knock, knock, knock..... ;D
www.YUM3x.com
www.BooyahBaits.com
www.XCaliburTackle.com
www.BomberLures.com
www.SilverThread.com

djkimmel

I did like Kentucky Lake the 2nd time I went there (only been there in low water fall events so far). I actually found the right spots / pattern. Just didn't hold my mouth, but my 1st day co-angler made it (he gets a double on largemouths and than a nice keeper smallie in just a few minutes) and two boaters near me made it. The guy who almost won was fishing the same pattern and one of my spots part of the event so that felt good anyway.

I have to get down there in the spring sometime yet, and try some of the fall ledge fishing once I figure it out.

Team houston

Care to mention that pattern Dan?

Jighead

If I remember right, Dan and I were fishing the same creek for at least most of the first day  8)
www.YUM3x.com
www.BooyahBaits.com
www.XCaliburTackle.com
www.BomberLures.com
www.SilverThread.com

djkimmel

You were in there too, weren't you Jighead?? I can barely remember that already like it was 20 years ago. I remember a couple other people I know were in there... I think? I believe Nowyorkas was even nearby? I had found several similar spots that were pretty good in practice, but tough in the event. Of course.

Team houston, carry your map in your back pocket so the next time I see you, I can point it out. Of course, it has been several years now so I have no idea what it's like at the moment. I'd tell you now, but I can't remember what the heck the name of it was. Honest. Jighead is younger. He probably remembers, but may not want to spell it out in the open...

I think that was the year I watched the guy run his ancient bass boat across a road bed that was so shallow, it practically looked dry. He must not have had a very good vision plan?? He didn't have much of prop either after that... crunch! ;D

Jighead

I'm quickly approaching 47  :o  I don't know that I'm that much younger.

I remember what creek it was.  But that's gotta be going back 6 or 7 years.  I guess the grass has really taken off again since then so I'm trying to wipe my memory bank clean in case I get back there again. 
www.YUM3x.com
www.BooyahBaits.com
www.XCaliburTackle.com
www.BomberLures.com
www.SilverThread.com

djkimmel

Holy #@#$@$!@@#$%!!! You ARE old. Not as old as me still. You must be living a good life... You still remember the name.

Team houston

BFL entry starts next week. Anybody need a co-angler to sign up with for all 5?

Team houston

Nobody needs a co-angler to sign up with for all 5?  Registration starts today.

mikesmiph

I cant do them all, sorry.