Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:23:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Jerkbaits

Started by McCarter, October 04, 2009, 06:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McCarter

if you are not throwing them right now, your missing out!

McCarter himself :-\'

karol

hey mcCarter,what do you do when the fish are 12ft down over 30 ft deep hanging out from the dropoff? found a lot of that saturday in 60 degree water and also at birch lake in 70 degree water on the 12th of september.
do you throw cranks or jerkbaits at this time? thanks ..karol

Lightningboy

LC Staysee, or Jackal DD Squirrel.  Both hit 8-10 feet on a long cast, and have great action jerked deep.  Both are modern versions of the old Rebel spoonbill minnow, the first deep jerkbait.

The LC Bevy shad will give a more shad like appearance.  Looks like a cranks, but it's really a jerkbait.  Real sleeper.

I throw cranks if I'm gonna make any kind of bottom contact.  Jerks for working open water.

McCarter

I would start with a lucky craft pointer 100 as that is my jerkbait of choice, or an XRAP, Rogue, Squad Minnow, whatever your fav jerkbait is and if i couldnt get them to come up for it, i would start messing with deeper running jerkbaits like pointer dd or xrap dd.  if the water is clear they should come up for a regular 100.  if the water temp is cold you will really have to pause the bait for long periods.  you want that thing hanging over there heads for a long time.  i am convinced that deeper fish will come up and eat a jerkbait simply because they are sick of watching it dart around over top of them. 

thedude

the hard to find spro minnow45 is an ultra-slow floater, dives 4-5'. I've caught 10 fish to every one i've caught on a pointer.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

PIGSMALLIE

Throw them now until ice up!!!!!!!!!! They will hit them!!!!!!!!!

TritonTR20

karol
On Birch lake those suspended fish could very well be trout. Although that lake has schools of small bass that chase minnows in open water every morning till the water cools off.

TCook

I cant wait to start jerkin
FISH HARD!!!

McCarter

LOL.  I bet you cant

McCarter

We need to find you a woman

karol

hey mcCarter , do you use mono or braid with a floro leader for jerkbaits like the pointer and x-raps? 7ft medium heavy spinning be good for this? thanks again..karol

thedude

don't go too heavy on the rod. you want something like a crank bait rod, but with a little faster action. I prefer a moderate action crankin rod so a moderate to fast action on jerkbait rod. good rule of thumb, the LIGHTER the power, the faster the action you can get away with.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Bender

I have been using braid with a fluoro leader on a lighter rod, 6'6" Crucial Medium and 10# Fluoro on a 6'6" MH GLX for heavier jerkbaits, seems to be good combos, both casting. The Crucial is probably ideal, it is pretty light action but with the braid you can still work the bait.
I am thinking about trying a steel leader on mine, the pike around here are fierce. I know it would be visible but might help keep the nose down a little. With jerkbaits costing up to $30 I can't afford to lose any more. Anybody try this?  
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

McCarter

i will use mono most of the time (10 lb unless the pike are present in which case i use 12lb big game) but will use flouro if i want the bait deeper or if fish are slashing at the bait.  flouro has less stretch and will help you hook more fish if they are half assing it.

I never use braid, you want some stretch in your line becuase it helps you to not over work the bait.  plus, when you are dealing with treble hooks stretch is key to not pulling the bait away from the fish or out of the fish.

i base rod selection on the jerkbait itself.  for pointer 100s i have a st croix avid rod.  its a 6'6" medium with a fast tip.  pointers are pretty big baits and have a stout lip so i feel that the medium fast is just enough rod to pull that bait.

for smaller jerkbaits, like rogues and xraps, i use a 6 ft medium light fast action rod.  it doesnt take much to move those smaller baits and this rod works perfect for me.

remember when you are fishing a jerkbait, you want your line to do most of the work.  in other words, use your rod to work your slack line rather than pulling the bait on a tight line.  it gives it way better action...and when a fish is waiting for you on the other end, you will feel him long before he feels you giving you plenty of time to sweep into him.

Lightningboy

I'm gonna give a minor dispute on the low stretch fluoro.  Studies I've seen show fluoro stretches just as much if not more than mono.  In fact, I quit using triple fish fluoro because it seemed too stretchy.

What fluoro does very well is transmit bites.  It's more dense than water, and substances with greater density transmit vibrations better.  Fluoro will help you fell those bites that come when the line is semi-slack; a common thing with a jerk bait.  The fluoro will also sink, so baits run a few feet deeper on fluoro.  I do most of my jerkbaiting with fluoro.

Braid has such low stretch, that its easy to pop the bait too hard.  You can make up for it by using a softer rod.

My jerk rod is 6-9, cut from a Rogue 7llSJ3 blank.  I guess I'd have to call is a medium for comparison.  I like my jerk rods similar to a topwater rod; slightly stiffer than a cranking rod.  I can't seem to get a similar darting action when using a softer rod.

If they don't eat my pointer tonight McCarter, you'll be getting 20 lashes with my jerkbait rod.   ;D  I fully expect to come to weigh in tonight after wearing out my arms with the jerk to find you were killing 'em on something else.  LOL

McCarter

if you want proof that flouro (at least seaguar carbon pro) stretches less than mono, go drop shot the st clair river with both.  good luck getting a hook into a fish in 45 fow with mono ;D

btw, when fishing jerkbaits.....ALWAYS WATCH YOUR LINE!!!!

i have a good story to share with you later, but right now i have to give fish the KLBA.

motocross269

I have read also that Flouro has as much stretch as mono....Either way..I think the benefits of flouro are that it sinks..This gives you a straighter line between your lure and your rod...With less slack the rig is more sensitive...
KVD is constantly praising the benefits of Flouro with crankin and Jerkbaits, but I have seen it argued both ways...Personal preference should rule out..If you are confident with it, use it..

baggerslimm

Can you guys tell me what kind of sticks your useing??  I've never thrown jerkbaits before...  Thanks Slimm
04 BassCat Cougar Ftd..

djkimmel

Lucky Craft Pointer 100 and DD 78, Rattlin' Rogue, Husky Jerk, Bomber Long A. Variations of the above and a few more lesser known brands of jerkebaitsl

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

McCarter

as long as they suspend, they will catch fish.  some are easier to cast than other, some have better 'walk the dog' action than others, some have better finishes and color selction than others, some suspend better than others, some cost more than others and vice versa.  but if they suspend, they will catch fish.