Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:02:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

D&R Mike Auten

Started by Dan, April 01, 2006, 02:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Just got back from going down to D&R Sports in Kalamazoo to hear Mike Auten talke about Kentucky and Barkley Lakes. Very interesting. My fishing buddies were there to get info for tournaments they will be fishing down there. If you are interested PM me and I will send you a copy of my notes. Haven't started writing them yet but soon will. The really cool aspect of the trip was our lunch afterwards. We asked the girl at the checkout where a good place to eat was and she recommended a new sandwich spot not too far down the road. We went in and were placing our order and in walks Mike Auten. We said hello and welcomed him to join us. He sat down and said he was meeting KVD there. Shortly in walks Kevin with his two boys. The seating there is a snake like counter. It's a sandwich/ice cream spot. Kevin was quite cordial and they proceded to make paper airplanes out of their place mats. Kevin and Mike chatted and one of my buddies had fished with KVD up in Traverse in a charity event and they exchange cordials. I couldn't help but ask Kevin about what happened on Santee with the DQ. He readily admitted that he had broken the rule. There was some confusion with the  rule and if it did pertain to practice. He said as the article on Bassmasters had said that his charging system had failed and on the way back to the ramp early they drove over the flat for a quick look. They went right by another angler and he was the one who turned him in. He didn't say who that angler was. I told him I thought the "punishment didn't seem to fit the crime." He said that the call was up to the tournament director. Without saying a lot more I got the impression he was not happy being disqualified and like a lot of us felt it could have been handled differently. He was saying that it was not so much the DQ as how the DQ was handled. The rationale was he obtain information that would help him over the course of the tournament. ???? Driving over one flat, come on! In this case KVD was screwed and of course he handled it as a gentlemen and a true professional. In my opinion, many people want to see him fish and he should have fished. He could have lost a half day of practice, etc. and that would have fit the infraction and would have been a better consequence. He looses 300 pts. in standings and that really dampens your enthusiasm to continue. I wish him the best and hope he can use this in a positive way motivation wise to kick some butt.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

bcbasser

And BASS continues to blunder!!!! >:(
www.kistlerrods.com
www.championboats.com

Amsoil Synthetic Lubricants www.lubedealer.com/benwallace

Bassman24

Dan,

What a thrill to just hang out with the likes of those guys outside the fishing arena.  We tend to put them on such a high pedestal it is easy to forget they live normal day to day lives too.  I mean it is Kevin Van Dam.  Compared to other sports...he is the Jordan or Gretzky of fishing.  I am sure some won't agree.   :D

The whole KVD thing has many questioning the operations of BASS.  I think withthe past history of infractions levied on Ike, they had to handle KVD the same way or you would have seen some screaming he received favoritism.  The cool thing is (at least in the public eye) Kevin has been a true sportsman about the whole thing.

Dan, I will have to look for your buddies down there.  I am heading down there for NBAA Classic.  I am looking forward to a good time.

GT
George Terrien

Champion Boats - www.championboats.com

OPTIMA Batteries - www.optimabatteries.com.

NBAA Motor City Inland Challenge - www.nbaabass.com

Highest Honor - www.highesthonor.biz

K&E Team Stopper - www.stopperlures.com

dcain

Anyone needing tips for KY or Barkley let me know. I lived and fished tournaments there for 4 years. Know some hot spots and what they like to eat. I know the areas on the TN/KY border the best.

Dean

djkimmel

That's great to know! I've only been there twice. Was at least around a bunch of bass the second time (both fall trips with low water). I'm sure I'll be back somewhere down the road.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.