Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:13:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Jigs???

Started by bassbuster, August 08, 2009, 07:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassbuster

I was wondering what jig you guys prefer. I've bought some that made sense and looked good to me and then a rather good bass guy showed me a couple that he uses (he has them made) and explained to me where and how the eye sits in relation to the action of the bait...............generally when being drug across the bottom. He even bends his hooks out a little bit for a better hookset?

fiker

I just started with jigs this year.   I"ve been using the Nemesis jigs w/ a tiny paca craw as a trailer.   I sometimes use additional scent. 

I don't know the Nemesis names for the colors, but I've got a 1/4 oz, black, and green combo skirt that works pretty good for me. 

I like the way the eye is on the Nemesis jigs.  Makes em slide through the grass better I think that a football head. 

Their jigs are hand tied, and there's a screw to help keep the trailer in place. 

Been working for me. 
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Manxfishing

You can't go wrong with the SK bitsy bug
I throw black or the camo (black/brown)
And there cheap if you get allot of bite offs

The other jig I like is the Jewel Eakins' Jig
It's still a finesse jig but it has a nicer skirt then the bitsy bug

I'm useing the Net bait Paca chunk and my partner is useing the Berkley chigger. So far were about the same on catching fish
The Berkley might be better with the SM thou

dartag

how much of the weed guard do you leave on. i cut i back flush with the hook.  do you remove any strands . 

i fished lake oakland yesterday and lost a couple nice fish when they jumped and threw the jig.  thought i gave them a good hookset.  the pike sure love them. 

thedude

McCarter's jigs are top-notch - some of the best i've fished.  I also like poor-boys jigs for fishing in weeds.

in non-weed cover i also like fishing a jewel finesse jig (eakin's jig) or a booyah - melonug.

edit -
ahahahaha I put int "boo bug" with no space, the vulgarity filter changed it to "melonug". thats great.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

MIBassKid

I used to only fish the Bitsy Bugs. But Brian and Chris have produced a jig that is modeled after a Bitsy Bug and it works fantastic.  Nemesis has the screw on trailer holder that works like a charm and keeps your chunk fixed where as when I'm fishing the bitsy bug the trailer needs to be fixed sometimes.  Nemesis also has some awesome colors and can custom make about anything for you.  Good guys and their customer service is second to none.
-Luke

Manxfishing

Quote from: dartag on August 09, 2009, 06:23:01 AM

how much of the weed guard do you leave on. i cut i back flush with the hook.  do you remove any strands . 

i fished lake oakland yesterday and lost a couple nice fish when they jumped and threw the jig.  thought i gave them a good hookset.  the pike sure love them. 

I trim the guard so it's a little higher then the hook
And I remove about half of the strands.

i myself like to keep the bass in the water (keep them from jumping)
If I think the fish is coming up I'll put the rod tip in the water

bassboss

Anyone remember Mango jigs from Nicholas? I only know of a couple shops that carry them here in west MI, so i order from the website. The bullet shape of the head is good for swimming and comes through the grass nice. I use a lot of browns and greens match with zoom chunks for a winner. The hook is large and wide with a softer than average weed guard. I fish the grand a couple times a week, always get a few on a mango.

djkimmel

What if bassbuster is talking about tube jig heads?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Team houston

LOL  good point Dan.

bassbuster

I was actually talking about the others, not the ones I use for tubes although I wouldn't mind hearing about those too.

I finally caught a couple of nice fish this weekend with a 1/4oz booyah jig. First one I caught was a 4.65 largemouth and the second was a 4.25 smally . I have to tell you I was more than a little excited  ;D about it especially since they are the 2 biggest fish I've caught so far. Up until then my personal best was just a hair under 4lbs.

djkimmel

Nothing like catching big bass on jigs!!!

Looks like everyone of this forum is pretty smart - all guessed correctly the first time. Way to go!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.