Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 04:09:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Another boat lead.....

Started by Bulletproof, March 30, 2006, 11:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulletproof

I found another fairly good deal.  So now I'm torn and need some direction.

I found a 2002 Ranger 185vs dual counsel with a 150 yamaha vmax.

Only used a couple times the guy wants 15,000.  boat is basically brand new. 

Well, should i do the skeeter or this newer ranger.

I'm leaning towards the Ranger now, I gotta tell ya. ???

Bulletproof :-\'
I am haunted by waters.

McCarter

I would say go with the Ranger becuase in a few years if you decide to get rid of it, the Ranger will have better resale value than a Skeeter.

Both are great boats, but the ranger will be easier to move if you have to get rid of it or want to move into a bigger boat.

PoorBoy himself :-\'

blakstr1

i think poorboy is right, you got to think resale on the smaller boat, especially because you've already had a bigger boat, once you get that new job with summers off  ::) you will want to move it..
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Cheetam

Definitely go with the Ranger if you can afford the extra $6 grand.  Is there any warranty left on the motor?
Jeff

fishon1219

Ranger all the way. That 188 is a solid boat that fishes real big for its size.
Nemesis Baits Pro-Staff
www.nemesisbaits.com

Revtro

I totally agree with the resale value thing... But, also consider where you will be using the boat.  If the Skeeter is a bigger boat and you want to fish St. Clair or Erie a lot, you'll be glad you have a bigger boat for the smoothness of the ride. 

Plus there's quite a difference in HP between the two motors.  Ask questions and test drive it to find out the top end speed of the two boats and see if that's enough of a factor to consider as well. 

As for resale value, if the Skeeter really is a good boat and there aren't any hidden problems with it, you're only paying $9k for it, so resale value becomes less of an issue.  However, you can't go wrong with a Ranger for sheer quality.  I have a Merc 200 EFI and love it, but I used to have a Yamaha motor and couldn't believe how quiet it was.  If I ever buy another boat, I would probably opt for the V-Max. 

Just some things to muddy up the waters for ya.  Drive 'em both.  At least you'll be out on the water doing that while I'm at home waiting for my prop from the prop shop.   :(  Have fun!
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

smbassman

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/6/83298846.htm

I saw this ad and it looks like a great deal for a great boat(and its loaded with options).  Of course more money, but you could keep this boat indefinitely.  I am sure REVTRO can attest that these boats are awesome in the rough stuff, very solid and will hold up better than the other two(at least the Skeeter for sure, but I still believe it will hold up better than Rangers as well).  Most importantly, it would take a lot rougher water to force you off the lake in this over the Skeeter and Ranger.

Just a thought, but I understand the student financial situation.  With that I would also suggest you look at Shermsmarine.com .  He has a Pantera II in your price range and I know you could get a great deal on it from him.  He is also a Mercury Master rated service tech(I think that means he is good??), so he does a thorough engine check on all his used boats.   

Good luck on your decision.  Whatever you decide, you will at least be able to get on the lakes this summer.

Revtro

I'm partial to the PIII since I own one, but I rode in a Ranger on St. Clair this year and was equally impressed with the ride.  If budget is a major consideration, I am certain you'll love the Ranger.  But I luuuuuuvvvvv my BassCat!   ;D
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

djkimmel

Luuuuuuvv is a wonderful thing (especially when that thing is a Ranger ;D or I guess it could be a BassCat too for some people ;D)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Savage

Both boats are fine for anything around your area except the Bay... if you are thinking the Bay and Lake St. Clair, you might want to go bigger than both of them anyway and get a 20 or 21.  There hard to find at a good price, but if you keep lokking you might get lucky.  If I had to choose between the two you are looking at, I'd probably go with the Ranger.  6 years newer for only 6 thousand more.....  that boat could last you a LOOOOOOOONG time!
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks