Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:53:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Kent Lake report 3-28-06

Started by McCarter, March 29, 2006, 08:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McCarter

Water temps: 42-43

Water Clarity: good (visible to 5 feet)

Wind: 5 mph east

Time fished: 4:45 pm - 6:30 pm

After fishing activities: Hooters 8)

It took some talking into ( not too much ) but i convinced MaizeNBlew to get his boat out on Kent lake last night.  He had already spent the day on Belleville Lake and was on his way home when i talked to him.  I needed to get out there and 'break the cherry' before i headed down to South Carolina.  Jose Garza was in the area after fishing Kent with some other friends and decided to meet up with us for round 2.

We started on a small sand point near the east launch.  This point is almost always good for at least one fish at this time of year.  The point extends out into the old river channel and the fish seem to be here year after year.  It held true as i caught my first fish of the year on my third cast of the day.  Nothing to write home about at a mere 1.5 lbs, but it was a fish none the less.  The cherry has been broken.
The keeper took an XCaliber Twitch bait in Chartreuese Shad.

Next we moved over to the channel swing where Jcheetam and Maize christened there season the weekend prior.  I got a slap on the jerkbait but lifted up to find nothing waiting on the other end.  As we drifted along the channel edge, i traded the jerkbait for a carolina rigged Zoom baby brush hawg in watermelon purple.  After a few casts to find the stump row, i was locked in.  Just as we started drifting over the edge of the channel, i had another taker.  This one was a little bigger at about 2.25 lbs.

Since we had blown off the edge and out of position, we idled back over to the channel swing and started again.  This time it was Jose's turn.  He was dragging a Chompers spider grub in 10 feet when he swung on a nice 2 lb smallie.   By now, all 3 of us were dragging bottom.  But we would have no more luck at this spot.

I had an idea but was pretty sure it was still too early in the season to work.  But we tried it anyway.  We made our way over to the I96 bridge and set up shop in 10 feet of water.  There are some nice rocks in this area that produce a little later in the spring.  Dragging bottom produced no bites. 

Next we headed to the south shore on the west end of the lake.  Jeff and Grant had caught two keepers in 5 minutes here last sunday.  And it took Jose about that long to call up his second keeper of the trip.  The spider grub struck again.  I am about 50% sure that i had a strike here on the c rig but i swung and missed and will never know for sure.

That was about it.  We hit a few more spots as the daylight disappeared and then called it a day.

You may have noticed that there was no mention of Maize catching a fish.  There is a good reason for that.  He didnt.  ;D  So after all the razzing he gave me about skunking on sunday, sweet revenge is all mine.  For the time being anyway.  Way to go Grant.  You succeeded in not catching them once again.  Enjoy your zero :D

PoorBoy himself :-\'

MaizeNBlue

*hangs head* it's all true
I did you back the next day got 3 keepers, DNR was out again, checking there nets, had to be very careful.