Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:52:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

The $$$ and SENSE of the Local Angler

Started by Bassman24, March 27, 2006, 12:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassman24

After reading the previous posts I started thinking about this with different perspective on a more achievable level or scale.  I have asked myself many times, "Why I do I do this?"  We all are involved at different levels in this sport. It is funny but if you look at the time we spend at this level and compare it to the pro who do it for a living, the ratio of time spent involved and away form home is very close to the same.

Some of us have local sponsors, some have corporate.  We are all looking for the next logo we can display on a shirt or boat.  We look for the Pro Staff status at local dealers. We spend countless hours with our tackle. Some are directors.  Many work the boats shows as salesmen, vendors, seminars, etc... No matter how you look at it we are heavily involved.

Please don't get me wrong, I do all of this and love it...but the question I ask is why.  It takes many hours away from the family (like the pros), we spend a ton of money (like the pros), many of us spend more than we win (like the pro's), gas is the same, hotels when we travel, most buy are own fishing shirts...

The similarities are there. 

I have yet to find a great answer to my question.  I have played sports all my life...football, basketball, softball, hockey...I still play... but no sport, not one compares to the rush and the excitement I get preparing for a tournament or even just a day of fishing.  I tell people I have one addiction... ;)  And gentlemen, it is pleasure to be part of group that share the same addiction...

"Hi, my name is George, I am a fishoholic.
George Terrien

Champion Boats - www.championboats.com

OPTIMA Batteries - www.optimabatteries.com.

NBAA Motor City Inland Challenge - www.nbaabass.com

Highest Honor - www.highesthonor.biz

K&E Team Stopper - www.stopperlures.com

bcbasser

www.kistlerrods.com
www.championboats.com

Amsoil Synthetic Lubricants www.lubedealer.com/benwallace

Revtro

Hello George, my name is Tom and I am a Fishaholic.  But not interested in F.A.  ;D

One answer as to why I allow this addiction to rule much of my summertime is that it is my only recreation.  It is the only regular source of relaxation and peace that I get.  I live in a busy, busy world with countless stresses.  Fishing, even competitive fishing, brings me peace and allows me to escape the world that I must live in the rest of the time.  The cost of the tackle, the gas, and the supplies are all worth it as you indicated.  What makes it even better for me this year is that I will get to spend much of my time on the water with my new fishing partner...my wife.  Not sure it gets any better than that.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

fiker

I can't tell you why.  I can only tell you that when a fish pulls at the end of my line it's like

YES!

Sometimes I sound like Roland Martin.  "Oh nice fish"  "Monster Bass".   Or maybe that good ole boy from Tennesse "Oh looka heyah looka heyah", "Busta".  sometimes I've even been known to laugh like Jimmy Houston.

I just love it.   

My name is Rick, and I too am a fishahaulic.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

raisinrat

Hi my name is Justin and I to am a fishahaulic.

I have yet to get into the bass tournment thing but I'm working my way there. I fish Ice fishing tournments and do all right. I spend way more money on fishing than I should but it ids the only way I can destress. You can tell when I haven't been fishing just asj the people around me.

And I'm a pround member of FA.lol ;D
Justin Clark

Hooksetter

I too am addicted to fishing. I get antsy when I haven't fished in awhile. I'm antsy now. Fishing, more specifically tournament bass fishing, is how I reduce my stress level. When I am fishing I am more relaxed than almost any other time, yet the adrenaline is flowing like Taquammenen Falls. It's hard to explain to someone who doesn't get the same thrill from doing something they love.

That being said, the money I spend on fishing is a part of my everyday budget. I build in a certain amount for it. When I can, I work a part-time job to add to the fund. I'm fortunate that my wife also enjoys fishing, she fishs at least one tournament with me every year. She understands what I get out of fishing, so she let's me do my thing as much as possible.

Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

yukonjack2

Hi - my name is Jack, and I am a fishoholic and prolific tackle collector!

Its not just the serene calm morning, its the adrenaline of the nascar like green flag at 6:00 running 70 miles to a fishless spot - gidde up!

Its the disappointment of that 5 lber breaking off your $15 crankbait, and then continually jumping nearby with it hanging from his mouth just to remind you - nothin like it. 

Ithink I am incurable, trainable - maybe!

Jack
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.