Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:58:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

The Mayflies are Hatching

Started by Skulley, June 08, 2009, 09:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skulley

Yesterday when out on St. Clair, I caught a smallie that was spitting up something.  At first it looked like very small minnows or shad.  When I investigated it closer, I found them to be mayfly bodies.  As I fished southward from the Mile Roads into the Grosse Pointe area, I started to see mayfly bodies floating.  At the 9 Mile Tower, I found mayfly bodies floating and as I went further south I found more and more of them. 

BD            ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Rocknfish

Hey BD...
I was fishing around the 9 mile/Veterans Memorial Park area yesterday and caught a particular smallie on a crank and noticed the same thing.Thought the same thing as well.Got a chance to fish St.Clair for the first time in spring this past weekend and what a wonderful fishery that lake is.WOW! Drove up from Cleveland friday morning and fished till Sunday evening.You might have seen me actually.My buddy and I were in my 17' aluminum Bass Tracker with the 25 hp.She's not the biggest boat(in fact a guy at 9 mile ramp told me that i needed a bigger boat)but she gets the job done.Love Lake St.Clair...for many reasons.We did really well on friday and sunday,especially friday.Saturday,not so much.WIND!Made me move from Mile rds. to Fairhaven.Didnt do well at all up there except for some small largemouth wich was fun though.How well does that area fish for smallies in the spring?Caught my personal best and first ever LSC smallie last fall off of Grassy Island.Thats the only expirience that I have in that area.

This was my 3rd visit up there and by far the best.Cant wait for the next.St.Clair,in my most humble opinion,fishes better than Erie and I was in community areas all weekend to boot!Would love to learn her more and find offshore areas to try...guess I need a bigger boat!If you ever have a seat open im more than willing to lend a helping hand.

This weekend was my 36th birthday and I had just found out that Im gonna be a daddy for the first time.:oWas a great birthday gift to myself to spend 3 days on such a great fishery.Oh ya,the report...just like most...tubes and drops.A few crankbait fish and 1 jerkbait fish.Biggest one went 4-4.Some higher 3's and lots of 2#ers.A TON of rockies.I would guesstimate around 200 fish.More rockies than smallies of course.Hey BD,how do you handle the mayfly hatch?I mean does it all together shut them down due to so much food?Seems I never fully understood all that.Set me straight.
Thanks to all for helping with any info on this sight.Good to know that nice people still exist.

Aaron
Rock and fish...thats what I do!

Skulley

Hey Rocknfish, I think I saw you guys yesterday.  You were on the Mile Roads around 10 mile and the tower.  I ran by you in a blue Champion with a gray outboard with no markings.  The mayfly hatch never stops me from fishing.  Bass always eat even when they are not hungary.  St. Clair does fish better than Erie however I always say for numbers go to St. Clair and for consistently bigger fish go to Erie.  Thanks for the compliment.  I appreciate it.  Congratulations on your 36th birthday.....I am turning 50 this August.  And also more importantly, congratulations on becoming a Dad.  I have a 15 year old and an 8 year old.  Never a dull moment when you have kids.  Let me know next time you come up and we'll head out on St. Clair or Erie for that matter.  You can always PM me with any personal info so that I can get a hold of you and vice versa.

BD            ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

bassmandan

i actually saw one flying through the air when i was out there saturday
"dont stop keep fishing"

djkimmel

Congratulations on your future fishing partner RocknFish! :)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

huston

I'll be out tomorrow in that area in the afternoon in the green & gold Astro.