Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:38:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

The $$$ and SENSE of the PROFESSIONAL BASS ANGLER

Started by blakstr1, March 27, 2006, 06:40:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blakstr1

Go to the link below to read a great article on Bassfan about how the money really works on the professional bass fishing trails.  Ask yourself, are you ready for that kind of commitment and lifestyle?

http://www.bassfan.com/news_article.asp?id=1666
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

DennisB.

I don't know man, if it where that bad would they be able to have families and homes? I mean I have seen (on t.v.) a few pro's homes (kvd,clunn) they don't seem to hard off. I rather stroke it on tour for 39,000.00 a year instead of wrenching on 30 year old airplanes
6-7 days a week for the 50,000 that I make. also get the winters off. So I would have to go and do sponsor events and talk about fishing during that time, I do that now anyways. I will talk to anybody about fishing. I just can't feel sorry for those guys, when I have to pinch pennies just to fuel up the boat to fish for fun.

Bassman24

Whether these men are accurate or not, being a Touring Pro is not easy.? The sacrifice on your family is extremely difficult. I guess it would be touring 250+ days away and making very little money.  It is a formula for family hardship.  I admire those that can stay married and manage in this profession.

As for the money, I am surprised at the amount of money given from corperate bait manufactures was so small.? $500 a month was a high number.? That doesn't cover fuel for the boat.? You consider hotels, gas, vehicle and food for 11 or 12 events...that's is some major expenses.? Heck, I am saving like crazy just for a trip to Kentucky in May for the NBAA.? ?

I think we all at one time dream what it would be like. Being a Pro bass fisherman. Some even have the guts to persue it.  I would love to be out there everyday fishing for a liven, but I would have to be able to except the costs...and I am not sure I could do that.

GT
George Terrien

Champion Boats - www.championboats.com

OPTIMA Batteries - www.optimabatteries.com.

NBAA Motor City Inland Challenge - www.nbaabass.com

Highest Honor - www.highesthonor.biz

K&E Team Stopper - www.stopperlures.com

MBell

From what I've seen and have heard, the money seems to be at the top.  There are a few guys making good money but many many more just trying to break even.  It does seem to be getting better especially on the flw side.  Not the type of thing I would quit my job to pursue. 
-Matt

bcbasser

The guys most people reference when it comes to fishin success are the KVD's and Clunns....but there are not many KVD's or Clunn's. You have got to believe that with gas at $3.00 and the amount that these guys burn along with every other expense...it ain't easy!!! Maybe for Clunn and KVD who do not have to worry about a win to cash a check but you better believe the Monroe's and Hackney's are livin thin!!!
www.kistlerrods.com
www.championboats.com

Amsoil Synthetic Lubricants www.lubedealer.com/benwallace

DennisB.

I still don't feel sorry for any one that has the opportunity to fish for a living. I have been a ride on mechanic and work a 20 and 10 shift, that's days living and sleeping in the airplane that I was maintaining just to make sure that the fine people that shop at wal-mart could receive their goods in a timely fashion. That's 10 days a month That year I saw my family 134 days. If they didn't want to do it, they wouldn't.
They should consider themselves fortunit

fiker

I like to fish as much as I can.  I'm not the best fisherman on this board let alone the country.  But even if I was as good as KVD, I wouldn't leave my wife and kids as much as he has to to make his living fishing.  It's his dream, and his decision, but it's not mine. 

We all made our decisions as to what we could/would do for a living. 
Watching my kids grow up to me was way more important than being on the water every day.   I've been fortunate and have always been able to be home every night and most of the summers while the kids were growing up.  Now that they are full grown and moved on I don't regret having done it the way I did at all. 

I'm not criticising those that do fish for a livng, it's just not how I've chosen to spend my time.

I saw a piece (I think on ESPN) this winter where they showed how little most of the pros make a year after expenses.   Many guys try it for a few years and have to quit. They can't afford to continue. 

I applaud anybody who has a dream, and works towards it.
I'm thrilled for those who achieve them, and are happy once they do.
For those of you who want to do it full time for a living, go for it. 
I'll watch you on TV cheer you on and say I knew you when.........
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Hooksetter

Before I fished tournaments I was guilty of thinking that the guys that fished for a living had it made. After my first year of fishing tournaments I realized I was wrong. The commitment of time and money just to be competitive on the local and state level is amazing.

I know I have friends and family that don't understand when I tell them how tired I am or how much money I spend on a typical? tournament weekend, especially the ones away from home.

As much as I love to fish tournaments, I could not pursue it as a means to support my family.?
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

Potter

I have a thought on this subject.  Please tell me if my take on this is BS.

I know most of the pros are not making a mint while fishing on the various tours. But, how many of us would consider ourselves "professional" at what we do?  Do we all live a "comfortable" life all of the time.  We all would like to make more money.  During the good years, hopefully we do, and during the bad we may not.  To me that sounds a lot like a touring pro.  Living from paycheck to paycheck, or maybe just a little below the break even point does not put one in a small group of people in this country.  Being a professional angler does not guarantee one will become wealthy, but nothing does!

Please don't get me wrong, I know how hard the pros work and all of the sacrafice and expense that goes along with it.  I respect those guys alot.  I would love to give it a shot someday.  Until then I will just keep pluggin away.

Potter 

raisinrat

Here is alittle bit of a break down for you on just my Ice fishing tournments that I fish.

Entry Fee: $220 per team. ( has gone up every year in the last 2 year)
Bait:  $30 per tournment
Gas$: $150 to $400 (depends how close they are, thats to and from the place not count atv or snowmachine gas, and auger gas)
Hotel for a week: $315 - $500
Food per week: $100-$150
Equiment: $1000 (thats if you have flasher auger and machine already)

Grand total for one season ( five events) is around $6250 you have to place in 4th or better to make that back. And that is without any sponsorship. Only a few guys get that and those guys have not been out of the top ten at any tournment for over 3 years and have one the champship once. This is alot of money for icefishing and I guess the opn ater guys spend alittle more than that
Justin Clark