Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:50:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

25 lb Largemouth Caught in San Diego

Started by Cheetam, March 20, 2006, 07:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheetam

Jeff

stackenem

Sure like to see a picture of that hoggggggggggg.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

cwinsiii

By the article he has some problems on it being a new world record. He snagged it and didn't measure it.

I read last summer they said to be registered as a new record the fish has to die so they can properly verify the fish. What is everyones opinion on the fish having to die.

I think for a record that has not been broken in 74 years and with all the money involved the fish would at least need to be x-rayed then released.

I think this is the third fish in the last couple years that could have been a new record if the person would have followed procedure.

They say the new record could be a million dollar fish.

Cheetam

Jeff

Cheetam

Here's a discussion about the fish and some insight on the 3 guys who were there...apparently they know what it takes for a fish to recognized as the world record...and that's why it was only weighed on a handscale and realeased...

http://www.westernbass.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12663
Jeff

raisinrat

Justin Clark

yukonjack2

thats not a pig,   it looks like it swallowed a pig.

awesome fish!

Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

djkimmel

I would have called it a mutant... pretty hard on a bass that big to only hold it by the lower lip - OUCH!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

I call these 'anti-exciting' catches because there's questions, confusion and issues, and George Perry keeps his record. Almost drives me crazy and I not even involved in the catch. Looks like a massive bass, but in the end, George Perry keeps his record anyway. I don't know that I could take the stress of the world record bass hunt??

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

MBell

As far as I'm concerned George Perry's record has been broken at least twice.  I'm glad they didn't kill the fish, I doubt George Perry had to jump through hoops to get his record.  He ended up eating the fish!  I looked into submiting some line class records for Michigan earlier in the year, it was ridiculous.  You had to pay just to view the records and then pay again to submit an application.  Congrats to the angler.  Anyone know if a snagged fish is legal in CA?
-Matt

Cheetam

Jeff

blakstr1

I'm smiling after reading that last article he said he felt a bump (kind of like stubbing your toe on a dumptruck)  what a fish!!  i say give him some kind of record, because IT IS!!  if they won't make it official, put it in the books with the dreaded (*) by it.... what a fish...
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

bosshawg

it is huge!!! couldn't even imagine a bass that size on the end of my line.....and these guys catch those huge toads all the time out there.  road trip!!
if it feels good - SET THE HOOK!!

Michigan Bass Busters

MBell

I read on bassfan that it was on a bed in gin clear water.  Apparently a lot of people knew about this fish and were waiting in line when the park opened.  If he snagged it on a bed thats horrible.  A snagged fish is one thing but intentionally snagging a fish is a whole other issue.
-Matt 

Hooksetter

That is a monster bass! I'd like to see the video they took when they were weighing her.
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

djkimmel

I've read what was linked yesterday and it looks like they tried to catch it, but accidently snagged it in the process. Who knows for sure. The record hunt out there is brutally competitive...?

They either knew they couldn't claim the record, or had the integrity to not try in questionable circumstances, so they let the fish go. I imagine they figure they can try to catch it again under proper circumstances, maybe off the same bed?

It's too big an issue now to not be done under pristine conditions and the scale they used could not possibly be considered certified anyway. I would wonder if they had a tank of some kind available to keep it alive for view by a fisheries person?

I think I recall seeing that a foul-hooked fish caught in CA is not legal similar to the regulation in Michigan - a fish must be hooked in the mouth to be a legal catch.

cameraguy

One of the articles I read about this monster fish said that it was illegal to keep a foul-hooked fish in California. 

cameraguy

Also, it appears that he did not snag it on purpose.  Why would he when he offered a guy $1,000 to move off of the fish?  He knew what was at stake and, by his behavior, knew California regulation about foul-hooked fish.

And...as Dan said, that is a poor way to hold a very large bass if you intend to release it.  Several articles I've read over the last few years (and, I believe, Scott Moody, the biologist at BPS) make a good case that holding a large (5+ lbs.) bass by the lip can be detrimental to the health of the bass.  The jaw can be dislocated to the point that it can't feed properly.

Pkleppert

Read the book "Sowbelly" by Monte Burch.  It's about the chase for the world record Largemouth and describes in length how those guys in San Diego chase the record.  The guy who caught the fish and his buddies are part of the book along with Bob Crupi, Mike Long and others.  Its a great book.

PK

Pkleppert

Whoops, my bad.  The author is Monte Burke. 

PK