Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:44:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Michigan TBF will be formed

Started by djkimmel, March 20, 2006, 12:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

As many had said before, we will end up with two bass federations in Michigan. The existing federation has voted to stay with BASS as a new Federation Nation affiliate. So a new federation will be started sometime this year to stay with TBF (THE Bass FEDERATION, Inc) and work with TBF's sponsor/affiliate agreements with FLW, BassFan.com and others.

I intend to be involved with the Michigan TBF, which may affect my status with the existing federation since BASS has ruled that state officers, federations and clubs can't also affiliate with TBF. I'm a life member of BASS and like their conservation program, so I expect to stay a member at some level. That will work out as we go along.

In the meantime, I plan on helping service this new organization and our long time and loyal sponsors who most made our existing federation financially viable and successful more than anything else. Some of the existing federation's major sponsors line up more with TBF and FLW as do mine. I don't know how this will all work out yet either, but it will eventually work out.

Regardless, it is more than that. I think two organizations may eventually be better than one, possibly attracting more overall members into organized clubs that can accomplish much more on the youth, conservation and legislative fronts. That is important to me. And I know and trust many of the people involved at TBF and FLW outdoors, along with the major sponsors. It will take some time and effort, but I expect it to be a great organization. I want to be involved in helping build something new and exciting from the ground up, invigorated with new ideas and fresh blood.

If you are interested in being involved in the Michigan TBF, keep watch here and I will post updates and information as it comes my way. Ask any questions or offer any help too.

It doesn't matter if you voted for BASS or not, or if you plan to stay in BASS. Like I said above, I plan on staying a BASS member too in some club or another (I don't know what my club wants to do yet either - BASS Conservation has already stated willingness to cooperate on important issues if I end up doing similar work for the new organization). It just matters that you want to be involved in TBF now.

I imagine the Michigan TBF will have their own web site somewhere down the road, but for now, for anyone reading here, this is a place to find out what I and others know anyway.

This forum board is not a place to debate BASS verses TBF. The vote has happened and each club has had their say. Just because you voted one way or another didn't automatically determine where you would go or stay as far as BASS verses TBF. Individuals and each club can now decide what they want to do because of the vote. There was never any secret about there being two federations after the vote regardless of the results.

So let's just make the best of it, and each organization does there own thing without animosity or infighting... we are all bass anglers with similar interests in the end. That's why so many different tournament organizations exist in the first place. This will not be a competition to see who is the better federation or who can top whom.

There will possibly be sponsorship consequences down the road because of the vote, but none of that should come as a surprise either to anyone. I will not participate in bashing or hating this company or that. We are all adults and should all be able to draw intelligent conclusions about who will align with who, or how much because of real world business relationships. In my opinion, that had to be known and considered long by everyone before everyone voted, so having voted, there should be no surprises that there are certain consequences. That was definitely discussed at the February president's meeting.

So no arguing about those kinds of things here. There are other places to do that if someone feels it is still necessary. I think it will be crying over spilt milk - as my Mom taught me - a waste of time and effort. This forum board is just for talking about, learning about, and being involved in the Michigan TBF. I will not be bashing or holding a grudge against anyone/club who voted for BASS either, and that won't be on this board anyway.

Understand please, I don't expect any of you existing members to be a problem at all. I just don't know all of whom is reading here and I wanted to make sure someone doesn't join just to complain about what is done (spilt milk). There seems to be a few unhappy people out there from what I heard at the shows - That's all.

Let's move forward and make the best of it. Each organization will have its work cut out for it already without wasting energy talking about each other. Like I said, I intend to try to stay a member of both. Thanks for your time.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

fiker

Well put Dan.
As always you're the gentleman, and statesman.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

yukonjack2

Dan - politically well put as always!

Anyone reading this thats wants help in getting this off the ground, contact me here!

Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

raisinrat

Ok fill me in on what happen I have not in BASS for a few years, I had to cut somethings out a while back.
Justin Clark

djkimmel

Search the general discussion board for several threads on the issues.

Summary - all of the state federations except Texas formed a regional rep group called THE Bass FEDERATION (TBF) about 5 years ago. These 7 people (mostly presidents from various state federations) were supposed to negotiate with sponsors for the state federations, and communicate with BASS too.

Most of the BASS national federation sponsors do not give anything directly to the state federations. They are BASS (ESPN) sponsors. We get only whatever benefits BASS gives us from our dues and towards certain events like the divisionals and the national championship.

Lately, relationships got bumpy and TBF got offers from FLW Outdoors and BassFan.com that they presented to the state federations instead of staying affiliated only with BASS. It was nice to have other major organizations feel the state federations had real high value. It's nice to have competition too.

Some existing state federations have voted to stay with TBF and accept the TBF affiliation offers, while others have voted to keep their BASS affiliation which BASS now calls the BASS Federation Nation. BASS did increase their federation support in response to state federation questions and the competition possibly.

BASS has made it clear that clubs and state federations can not affiliate also with a competing company, so federations that vote to stay with TBF (again, all state federations except Texas were shareholders in TBF) can't be a BASS federation. For all intents and purposes, state federations that vote to stay with BASS are probably out of TBF.

What this is doing is creating two federations in most states either way because both BASS and TBF are starting a new federation with the clubs in each state that chose them. There's always a few anglers no matter what that want one or the other in each state.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

fishon1219

Dan,
I am looking to join a club using TBF as their platform. Do you know of any in the southeast michigan area.
Nemesis Baits Pro-Staff
www.nemesisbaits.com

Revtro

Our club isn't affiliated with either, although we do have guys that participate in FLW/Everstart events.  There's a chance that eventually we may choose to affiliate with TBF.  Regardless, we have an awesome club here on the Eastside if you're interested in checking us out fishon.  PM me if you would like to know more.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

djkimmel

I think TBF is busy in Minnesota at the moment. As soon as they get finished there, I expect things to start up here. So no clubs yet, but we may get some of the 18 who voted TBF. There will probably be others. I'll keep everyone posted. I have heard from national TBF, but someone passed me a virus this weekend and I'm not really into conversation at the moment. More into sleep and coughing. It's dangerous to shake a lot of hands... (I didn't even get up until 5:22 PM today - yuck!)

PapaChris

Thanks Dan,

I am a BASS Life member as well but the same year I joined Operation Bass ( now flw outdoors ) as a Life Member also . I think it is very important going into this that no one Bashes either side on this and we keep everything moving forward. As you said there is a place for both organizations here and we can help make that happen.

Keep me Posted I would be very interested in the New Michigan TBF

bcbasser

www.kistlerrods.com
www.championboats.com

Amsoil Synthetic Lubricants www.lubedealer.com/benwallace

5alive

Count me in too!! Would like to see something pretty quick, as I believe that there is going to be some JR Championship stuff this year during the FLW Championship.
Jeff Harris

www.quantumfishing.com
www.strikeking.com