Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:24:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Licenses For Mich BFL

Started by skeeterman190, March 29, 2009, 09:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeeterman190

Hey guys was trying to get things in order for the upcoming season. This is gona be the first year fishing the BFL(boater) what licenses and other things as far as paperwork do i need? thanks-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

cr

Make sure you have your proof of insurance in the boat ;D.

motocross269

Going as a boater you will control your own destiny....I would say Canadian for sure, and you can decide as you go if you want Ohio or Walpole....

2 years fishing as a Co I have bought both Ohio and Walpole and never needed them..

cameraguy

Isn't one of the tournaments being held at Sandusky Bay.  If so, you need an Ohio license.  The other licenses you should have are;

Michigan
Ontario
Walpole

FOB

FYI for everyone - if you are purchasing a Canadian lisc. this year, or in the future, you will also need to purchase a Ontario Sportsman card for I believe $9.00 ( good for 3 years ).  This will put you into their system, and then by this fall you should be able to purchase your lisc. over the internet.  I talked at length with the Conservation Officer from Ontario at the Grand Rapids Show about this.  Pain in the rear up front, but will be worth it in the long run.  
Word of advice though.  If you use a third party to get your lisc., and any of the information is wrong, you are responsible.  I plan on going across the border for the first one just to be sure.
Ralph Blasey
Wonderland Marine West  734-417-5550

REEL_MAN

not sure where it stands right now but it might be good to have your passport or passport card if you plan on crossing over to the Canadian waters. I have mine and I'm planning on having it on board just in case.

REEL MAN

Buckeye

Just from experience last year, if you go to the ferry in Algonac, you can take the ferry to Canada, and the Conservation Officers come right to the ferry to sell the licenses.  There fore, you never step foot on Canadian soil, and therefore, won't need a passport. 

"but"....

If you set foot on Canadian soil, you will need one.  I plain on getting a Canadian, Michigan, and I already have my Ohio license.  I'll have to think about a Walpole license.

And, having been a co-angler in the old Buckeye division that fished Erie, I drew a boater who dindn't know if he was running to Michigan or not.  Thankfully, he didn't, but I showed up to the ramp on day 2 of the super tourney and he says to me, "we're running to Michigan".  I said, I don't have my license and you were supposed to call me last night if you were going to run to Michigan so I could purchase a license.  It was messed up. 

I urge everyone to talk at length with their boater.  Get an idea what you might need, and buy it.  This division's tourneys are mainly on water where you might need 4 licenses.  Who wants to sit in the back of the boat and not fish because you don't have a particular license?

Eric

djkimmel

Don't buy the conservation license from Ontario either. Last I knew, you could only creel 2 bass with that license. You want the full non-resident fishing license.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dashaver63

I had an officer from the Ohio Division of Watercraft inspecting boats at our last club meeting and I asked him about fishing in Canadian waters. As long as you do not anchor, land at a Canadian port, or stop within 15' of any vessel, (that is to say that if you come close enough to pass any kind of parcels, he said mostly the drug traffickers) then you do not need to report. In other words, I would have the passcard, or passpprt or what ever you need.

motocross269

Quote from: cameraguy on March 31, 2009, 10:09:53 AM
Isn't one of the tournaments being held at Sandusky Bay.  If so, you need an Ohio license.  The other licenses you should have are;

Michigan
Ontario
Walpole

That's right I forgot that I didn't fish Sandusky bay last year...It wasn't on my Radar screen

Mark117

can anyone tell me why the michigan BFL's have the fewest anglers and have the greatest waters to fish?  oh ya? we need 4 different licenses, we travel from northern michigan to sandusky ohio, we fish two different states (ohio/michigan), and two different countries!!!!! maybe the bfl's should listen to the anglers? hello grand river?

i heard the ohio anglers didn't want to spend the extra money fishing michigan or canadien waters......smart anglers?

let michigan travel to ohio?

MARK 1:17
p.s. michigan bfl " the smallmouth trail? "

REEL_MAN

I fished as a co-angler for many years and purchased all the licenses needed for the MI division. I never asked my boater if I need this or that license. It wasn't his responsibility. Now going as a boater I'm not going to ask if you have the proper license, I'm not a baby sitter, and I won't change my plan because you didn't get a license!  I've spent to much time and money to change because you didn't prepare. I don't like sounding gruf but the responsibility is yours not the boater.

Dave V

skeeterman190

Thats my concern. Ill have all them. but what if my co doesnt?? do I tell him he cant fish cause hes not got this one?? my main concern would be if i could get in trouble if he doesnt have one. i would hope most know to have all this stuff.
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

Mark117

i loved going to the westside to fish the grand river ? now we have to travel to ohio to fish sandusky bay.... booooooo!

i hope the wind doesn't blow?

REEL_MAN

I love the Grand and I hope we go back next year and forget Sandusky. Large mouth are just as much fun as smallies.

REELMAN

csfishslayer

You can get a 3 day in Ohio for like 11$ if you don't fish there much that not a bad deal and you can pick when it's starts. or you can buy a non res for like 40$.
S.W.A.G. Jigs And Custom Paints.

bshaner

I wonder if launching out of Sandusky but fish entirely in Canada, do you think a person would need an Ohio license?

I dont plan on fishing Ohio waters at all during the Sandusky BFL.  I dont want to spend the money for the Ohio license.

What would be the outcome if I got stopped on Ohio waters on the way back to the launch?  Would the officer believe me when I told him I didnt catch the fish in Ohio, but I possess them in Ohio.

I hope we dont fish Sandusky ever again. 

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

motocross269

That is a good question???  I was going to say as long as you didn't have rods out you would be good, but I forgot about bringing fish back into Ohio waters for weigh in...HMMMMM

csfishslayer

I would not chance it. I would think b/c you are weighing the fish in ohio you still have to have a tag to posses the fish in ohio waters.
S.W.A.G. Jigs And Custom Paints.

bshaner

The way my season went last year, I wont have to worry about possessing them in Ohio anyway.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844