Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 10:08:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

What's the best clear coat?

Started by TritonTR20, March 29, 2009, 05:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TritonTR20

What's the best clear coat for crankbaits?

AMAST77

I am just getting in to this myself. I have done alot of research and most people say devcon 2 ton epoxy is best. If your not into mixing resins and hardener the next best thing is dick nites lure coat.

lots of info on tackleunderground.

Cheetam

For me, Dick Nite's Lure coat.  Chip, Scratch and UV resistant.  Very good stuff and it doesn't yellow over time.  It's self-leveling, so you don't need to build/buy a lure turner, and you can re-coat a bait within an hour or so (although some people will wait 24 hours).  No need to mix it either.  But, whether it is etex, devcon, or Dick Nite's, you are going to see people that prefer one over the others.  If you contact Dick Nite, he will send a sample out for you to try.  Like AMAST77 said, check out tackleunderground.com and you will find lots of info and opinions of each of them.
Jeff

TritonTR20

how many coats do you normally use?

Cheetam

Quote from: TritonTR20 on March 30, 2009, 10:31:00 AM
how many coats do you normally use?
Some guys dip their baits.  Some guys spray their baits.  I like to brush it on my baits.  I feel like I have more control on how evenly and consistently I can apply it.  I brush on two coats, which is plenty for bass fishing.
Jeff

smbassman

What about automotive clear coat?  Just curious because I just had to do some body work to my truck and have a little clear coat left.  I haven't got into lure painting yet either, but I hope to next winter.

TritonTR20

Cheetam

Quote from: smbassman on March 30, 2009, 11:57:41 AM
What about automotive clear coat?  Just curious because I just had to do some body work to my truck and have a little clear coat left.  I haven't got into lure painting yet either, but I hope to next winter.
I have never used automotive clear, but some people do.  Check out tackleunderground and do a search for automotive clear and see what comes up.  There should be at least a page or two of info on it.

"how do you reseal the can?"

I don't open the can.  I tap it in the bottom with a small screw and only take out what I need to get the job done.  When I get what I want, I put the screw back in and it reseals.  It reduces the amount of air that gets in the can and helps it last a lot longer (I have had my pint can for over a year now, and it is still fresh).
Jeff

bassinman#1

I am an auto painter and have been using automotive clear on my baits for years. Its has never faded, or flaked off. The clearcoats they use now has a uv protection and very durable. I use DC 3000 with 3085 hardner which is a PPG product. You can buy it at Finish Master or Painters Supply. It comes in Quarts or gallons.