Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:08:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

The PERFECT blueguill

Started by joshimoto son, March 23, 2009, 11:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgip087

Eric, (and others lol)

If you liked the old Girons you need to see the new ones. They took some Japanese technology and laid photos onto the lures, hands down sickest looking baits I have seen out of a box. Here is a link to a photo, click on the RT colors. link removed

The photos do not even do these things justice you need to see one if you know stores that carry them, Frank's is bringing a couple in I think.
www.sure-life.com - please help ensure the
survival of your catch
www.poorboysbaits.com

Buckeye

What kind of sink rate do the TT baits have?  Any idea?

Thanks!
Eric

Cheetam

Quote from: Buckeye on March 26, 2009, 12:31:19 PM
What kind of sink rate do the TT baits have?  Any idea?

Thanks!
Eric
They have two versions, a wake/slow sink, and a slow/fast sink.  They come with weights that you can add or remove based on how you want the bait to sink.  Remove the pin connecting the head to the second section and add and remove weights as necessary.
Jeff

TCook

Cheetam your definatly getting good with these custom paint schemes. I wish you had that bluegill pattern back when I was looking for some custom painted Rick Clunn's. When I get some extra $$ I will have to have you paint me up a few baits.

T
FISH HARD!!!

Cheetam

Quote from: TCook on March 26, 2009, 12:58:12 PM
Cheetam your definatly getting good with these custom paint schemes. I wish you had that bluegill pattern back when I was looking for some custom painted Rick Clunn's. When I get some extra $$ I will have to have you paint me up a few baits.

T
Thanks T.  I was working on an earlier version of this scheme when you were looking to have those RCs done.  It's taken me a few tries to get it to where it is now, but so far, I'm pretty happy with it.
Jeff

thedude

all it needs is some drake's mix and hush-puppies.
nice one jeff.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Cheetam

Quote from: thedude on March 26, 2009, 04:40:30 PM
all it needs is some drake's mix and hush-puppies.
nice one jeff.
mmmmmmm.....hush puppies......

Thanks Justin.
Jeff

Wolf_fisherman

Couple ?'s for yah cheetam. Thinking about starting to make some of my own custom painted baits. But dont know where to start and I have 2 new 8ft benches that r screaming to have paint marks on them. Suggestions on airbrush guns, paints and etcs would be great. Second ? if i can get my hands on some of the Rapala Supershad blanks or colors that dont produce can you paint some of those bluegills up for me? I have caught some big smallies and largemouths with those baits but Rapala doesn't have many colors to choose from and my muskie guy charges a arm and a leg to paint em. Thanks Wolf.
Carpe Diem

Cheetam

Quote from: Wolf_fisherman on March 26, 2009, 10:09:26 PM
Couple ?'s for yah cheetam. Thinking about starting to make some of my own custom painted baits. But dont know where to start and I have 2 new 8ft benches that r screaming to have paint marks on them. Suggestions on airbrush guns, paints and etcs would be great. Second ? if i can get my hands on some of the Rapala Supershad blanks or colors that dont produce can you paint some of those bluegills up for me? I have caught some big smallies and largemouths with those baits but Rapala doesn't have many colors to choose from and my muskie guy charges a arm and a leg to paint em. Thanks Wolf.
Wolf- Once you start painting baits, it gets REAL expensive  :D.  You will need a few things to get started (which you may have laying around already). 

First, you will need is a compressor.  I use a 4 gallon pancake style Craftsman that I have had for years, but, if you look around, you can find a good compressor for under $100.  Get one with the biggest tank you can so it won't kick on every 5 minutes. 

I have three airbrushes I am using right now, but the brush I am using more than any other is a PS 1000 from buyairbrushes.com.  There was a deal a while back where if you used the coupon code "bigfish1", you would receive a 35% discount on that brush, or on the PS 900.  Most guys who took the deal bought the PS 900, which cost under $40 out the door (if I had to do it over again, I'd choose that one - in fact, I may pick one up). 

As for paints, I use mostly Createx airbrush paints (they're acrylic paints).  I like the acrylics because they aren't toxic and they wash up easily with water. 

For a top coat (clear coat), most guys use either epoxy (like Devcon 2 ton - or others, there are a few out there), or Dick Nite's Lure Coat, which is what I use.  Pros and cons for both, but I prefer the DNs for a few different reasons, among them are it is chip and UV-resistant, it doesn't yellow over time (like most epoxies), and it cures quickly and evenly (which means you won't have to build a turning wheel for all of your baits as they cure like epoxies). 

Among other things you will end up needing, tape for taping off the lips and making stencils, netting for scales, an exacto knife or two, windex or airbrush cleaner for cleaning out your brush (get some paper towels too, and maybe some Q-tips..they help), hemostats for holding baits and/or clamping down your netting....remember how I said it gets expensive... :D  Don't forget, you're going to want to buy 3d eyes, and some unpainted blanks, and some new hooks and split rings and....ah you get the picture.  As for painting up you baits, send me a PM and maybe we can work something out.
Jeff

bassassasin88

Before you get started check out Tackleunderground.com. Tons of info, and everyone is happy to help with any questions.

bassassasin88

did you use a paint brush to put the red under the gills?

Cheetam

Quote from: bassassasin88 on April 07, 2009, 09:40:10 PM
did you use a paint brush to put the red under the gills?
Yeah.  I typically don't use brushes (except for brushing on my clearcoat), but there really wasn't any other way to get that detail.  I guess I could have used a Micron pen, which is what I have used to outline gills on other baits, but it is so thin it would have taken forever.
Jeff