Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:37:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Santee Cooper... Here I come!!!

Started by joshimoto son, December 19, 2005, 12:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshimoto son

Well... I've been talking about it for the last year and I finally did it.
I registered for a Bassmaster's Open event down on Santee Cooper.
I registered as a non-boater for a couple of reasons.
1. It would be the first time out on the water since October and I won't be on top of my game.
2. I've never been there before and don't want to get my rear end (PG- rating) handed to me.
3. I don't quite have the $1500 entry fee to be a boater.

But what a way to start the season.

If anybody has any experiences they would like to share. I would love to hear about them.
I'm also going to try and find somebody to ride with during the practice days so I don't have to
bring my boat down there. It would save me a bunch of cash if I didn't have to haul that TR-21 down there.
First things first.
I have to wait for the letter notifying me that I'm in.
But I talked to a guy named John Stuart (sp?) with BASS and he told me that registration was on
a first come first serve format and that none of the fields were filled.
I registered within 5 minutes after talking to him, so I have to believe that I should be in.
I'm so pumped up for April it's not even funny!

Any info would be greatly appreciated

dhuff

Sounds like it should be fun.  Just hope you get paired with some good boaters.  It would suck to travel that far and get paired with a crappy boater.  But at that time of the year you should be into some big fish.

5alive

Should be a great spinnerbait bite along with Horny toads and senkos. I used to fish these when it was the top 100/150 trail, and had a great time. Just hang around the launch and ask for a ride from one of the pros and you should get some pre-fish time. I was fortune enough to do this on more than one occasion, plus I stayed at the hotels were most of the fisherman were staying and made arrangements the night before. Good luck and enjoy it.
Jeff Harris

www.quantumfishing.com
www.strikeking.com

joshimoto son

I was just on the Bassmasters message board, I think I might have just screwed up.
I was under the impression that if I was to sign up before the field was full I would be in automatically.
I was just reading a few posts... and I didn't sign up with a boater.
This probably means I stand a chance that I won't go.
Does anybody know for sure?

djkimmel

I'm not aware of how they pick anymore. Used to be highest priority went to anglers who signed up for all events. Lots changed since then. Should be spelled out in the rules. I think they are not getting full fields at times now, so if there are enough boaters, you could get in. You might want to solicate a boater on their message board if you do that after the fact and if it does matter based on the rules.

I've been to SC that one time in March and the bass were just starting to come on to beds in shallow bays and pockets. Floating worms/stick worms were great for this.

There were almost no weeds when I was there. I found a tiny amount of hydrilla they hadn't killed, that  held bass. I also found native water primrose - which is like heavy duty vines - that held some bass. A real challenge to get one out since you can't just cut that stuff with your line.

I didn't do that well around cypress trees. I did okay around some laydowns and backwaters pads, although that slowed when we were hit by a big front. I fished a lot of stumps for few bites, but the right ones can win the tournament. Same with brush piles. You will be later, so those might be better.

I creamed them on blue/chartreuse War Eagle buzzbaits 3/8 oz before that front. It was awesome - prespawn cruisers. That bite almost vanished after the front. I got some better quality on red spots/traps. Spinnerbaits could be good, but I was fishing real shallow and doing some sightfishing (Blacks Camp, Angel Cove, bays of the connecting channel).

You probably don't want to use your boat the first time. That place is littered with lower units and outboards. Everyone I talked to had knocked one off. Tons of alligators too although more small ones than in Florida. There are a few big ones and one busted my lucky spinnerbait.

It should be fun, especially if you get one of those locals who runs the cypress forest in Marion.

Oh, I forgot, I kicked my co-anglers butt (well, it wasnt' that bad) flipping black/blue Zoom Brush Hogs (the big one) on 20 pound test with 1/4 bullet sinkers.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

joshimoto son

Thanks Dan... that is some great info!!!
I'm currently posting for a boater to sign up with on a couple different sights.
I might do the same here, but I think that everybody that reads this already might know I'm
looking for a boater.

joshimoto son

Well... my confirmation letter came in from BASS last friday, I just payed my balance and have my official entry form in the mail.
I am lock in to go fish my first Citgo Bassmasters tournament.

April 3rd seems so far away!!!!
I will be posting maybe here and LSCN to try and find somebody to split costs with.
I will be on the Bassmaster site for sure trying to do the same thing.

All I know is that I can not explain how excited I am on this website do to the fact I'm sure it would mean
my immidiate dismisal.

Let's just say... I'm Happy!!!

djkimmel

You'll have a great time I bet.

You could say you are ecstatic!!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

smbassman

Congratulations!!!

I hope the pairings go well for you.  I think I remember an "angler on tour" show with a BASS tournament on Santee Cooper.  You might see if you could find a copy of that show as I believe it was around the same time of year - just a thought.

Again - congratulations and good luck!

Savage

Good luck man, if I come across anything about SC that time of year I will let you know.  If I had to get ready for that tournament I would take Jig-n-pigs and creature baits (beavers, norie bugs) but that's my comfort zone.  They are always solid for bites, any time of year.  Any idea what phase they will be in when you get there?  Spawn?
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

Savage

Okay, that didn't take long....? Bassmaster event rolled through SC back in Late March 2004, it's the tournament Swindle won AOY at.? ANyway, here's a link to get you started after that one:

http://www.citgo.com/Sports/BassFishing/TournamentResults/Tournament2004SanteeCooper.jsp

Maybe yopu can look at some back issues of Bassmaster or BASS Times from that time frame to get more info.? Good luck, and I'll keep looking around.? Team GreatLakesBass won't let you go down there unprepared!

Looks like they were there in 2003 at the end of March, too.  Spinnerbait bite was good, guys keyed on grass and the cypress trees.  Here's another link:

http://www.citgo.com/Sports/BassFishing/TournamentResults/Tournament2003SanteeCooperReservoir.jsp

One guy here on the board who is good at finding info online is Blakstr1, you should see if he can find you something.? I swear, he can hunt down the oldest most obscure thing, he never fishes one of our tournaments without doing the research.? Luckily he's my open partner. ;D
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

joshimoto son

Yeah, didn't Zell Rowland do well down there a few years ago.
I've heard as much as I need to about norie bugs.... I'm going thave to check them out.

Oh... and by the way... (sniffle..sniffle) thanks for your support.
I'm truely touched.

McCarter

Aww screw it, Ill go too.  Signing up tomorrow.

Good times!

PoorBoy himself :-\'

yukonjack2

Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

djkimmel

That can be an awesome fishing spot in the spring - in practice the time I was there I wore out a couple buzz baits.

McCarter

Its official, i am signed up.

The best part is, i made a call to my boy K Dawg aka fishon1219 and he set me and Josh up with Jeff Kreit and company to pre fish with.

So instead of fishing with the Pros for 3 days, we will be fishing with the Pros for 6 days.  Gotta love it.

Plus, we get to see the E50 weigh ins.  How cool is that?  Pretty cool if you ask me, and i should know because i myself was cool once.

McCarter

I meant we get to watch the Elite Series weigh in, there are too many changes.  I cant keep up.

dartag

learn lots and that guy on the other site won't call ABA guys " Bad Fishermen "  or whatever he was saying????  he must have lost a bundle on the game yesterday...

good luck we will be watching...

ss

fiker

Godd luck you guys.

Josh, if you need somebody to boat sit that Triton, just let me know.     lol   
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

joshimoto son

Fiker50,

No problem, she need some new electronics while you're at it... want me to give you the list.
29 days and counting.

We should have some good pics when we get back.