Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:58:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

? on lizards

Started by Wolf_fisherman, February 25, 2009, 10:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolf_fisherman

Hello bass world. Thinking about trying out lizards in the spring here on my lovely lake st clair. Never used them before but overheard some guys talking about em. Any suggestions on basic colors,sizes, rigging options? Dont wanna walk into Bass pro this weekend during the spring sale with the deer caught in the headlights look...well thats gonna happen regardless. Does every year. Thanks all
Carpe Diem

MadWags

I have fished lizards for both largies and smallies. On LSC I would recommend fishing them on a Carolina Rig. Use smaller size lizards as they can be rigged on a 2/0-3/0 wide gap hook. On LSC you can not go wrong with Green Pumpkin color for any plastics. In addition to Green Pumpkin you could have red or puple fleck or even a chartreus tail. Watermelon color works well too. In addition to lizards on your Carolina Rig try some Case Plastics (a GLB sponsor) Beavers. I slayed the El Salto Bass with them on a Carolina Rig Good luck!
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

djkimmel

Examples: http://www.caseplastics.com/Products/Lizard.htm

Green pumpkin is a great all-around color. I like the green pumpkin chartreuse maybe better, especially for darker water, or smallies. For real clear water, watermelons can be really good - had my butt kicked a few times that way (once really bad on Lake Okeechobee).

I use a green like above, and a dark most of the time - like black, dark smoke or Junebug. If you have a green and a dark, you can cover many waters.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

csfishslayer

Good topic. I have often wonder how they work on LSC never used them my self any input from guys that have fished them. how well do they work.
S.W.A.G. Jigs And Custom Paints.

Cheetam

Dan and Wags pretty much summed it up - green pumpkins, chartruese tails, watermelons if it's really clear.  I throw em on a c-rig like Wags said, although I do like them on a t-rig or stand-up jig head (like a spot remover) as well (especially during the spawn when working beds).
Jeff

MadWags

Also when bed fishing, try them on a dropshot. Nose hook em on a 2/0 Octopus style hook.

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

AMAST77

I agree natural colors, but more importantly (to me anyway) is the size. I throw a zoom 8" almost exclusively. They look big but dont be intimidated, even with smallmouth.

Skulley

I have never used lizards in Michigan.  However there seems to be testimony that they can be a hot bait here.   I have heard of guys having great success using them.  I have only used them down south. 

BD         ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

csfishslayer

I use them on the inland lakes and they work well just never tried them on the great lakes.
S.W.A.G. Jigs And Custom Paints.

MadWags

Ok, I am going to confess right here and now................
My wife's nickname used to be Lizard Lips.
Now I am not going to elaborate on it.
Just take it for what it is.
And for the record, that's not her nickname anymore.

Lightningboy

Ya'll got me thinkin' about the past with lizards.  Back in the mid 80's nobody had lizards.  I had read about them being used instead of worms or french frys (remember those?) on a carolina rig.

Only place I could find any at the time was Barlow's tackle in Richardson Texas.  Sleek black ones in 4 & 6 inch.  Never used the carolina rig because I mainly fished weedy northern lakes; but I did throw them on a texas rig.  Used to love 'em.  Everbody else was throwing worms, culprit was a big name back then.  But I could roll up behind most guys and nail bass they had fished right past.  The lizard shape was just different enough to tempt those jaded bass.

Then they became all the rage on the pro circuit, and everyone was throwing them.  They became just another plastic shape in the box like the others.

Been a while since they've been popular, maybe they might be worth a little trip down memory lane...

MadWags

In Mexico they pronounce it "Leeeeezhard"  ;D

fiker

I've had good luck with smaller black lizards, with green tails carolina rigged on bedding fish.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Durand Dan

Well, I was at Meijers today and wouldn't ya know they had Zoom 6" Lizards for $1.74 a pack. I have a Lizard stash now!!

Wolf_fisherman

Thanks for all the help guys! Much appreciated!
Carpe Diem

TritonTR20

Lizards can also be a killer topwater bait if fished weightless and swam across the top!

MadWags

That is so true. I once got on a killer top water bite in a Northern Lake around Clare, MI. Dragged weightless lizards across the top of lilly pads and slayed the Largies.