Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:57:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

What's the sweetest thing...

Started by blakstr1, March 14, 2006, 11:17:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blakstr1

So everybody (at least I think) has a favorite moment or action that occurs while fishing, maybe its hooking a 5lber, maybe its spending time with somebody, whatever...let's hear what they are if they aren't too personal to share...

Mine is going to be the feel of the warm boat carpet on my bare feet on a nice warm day... everytime I feel the sun on my feet no matter where I'm at I am taken back to all those fishing memories...

of course I have a bunch of others too, but this is one of the favorites..
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

McCarter

thats a tough one to narrow down.

I get goose bumps just thinking about the first day i take the boat out.  Where to start.  what to use.  that first bite and hookset of the year.

So many possibilities.  But i think there is one thing that can trump all those feelings.  For me at least.  That would be the night before the first tournament of the year.  I never sleep.  I get all my stuff ready early and jump in the sack usually before 9 pm then i just lie there and wait.  All the while with a smile from ear to ear.  The anticipation of the alarm sounding is enough to get me out of bed 2 hours early so i dont have to put my fiance through the anguish of being spooked by buzzing of the clock.  I always eat a good breakfast and double check everything before i head to the launch.  There is one thing i always forget to do tho.  I never use the bathroom before i leave.  Which means by the time i get to launch you better get out of my way.  No time for stopping and talking when the bladder is full.

We have a tradition in the ABA.  Every year for our first tourament, we lower our hats, place the right hand over our hearts and listen to the star spangled banner.  That always get me pumped up.  Gotta love it.

PoorBoy himself :-\'

Bassman24

Boy this was a tough at first then I realized what it is for me.  I am not trying to get all religious on anyone...but

God's Beauty

Sunrises/Sunsets
Rainbows
Huge fish - musky, Sturgeon
Wildlife
My kids

I have been able to experience so many cool things from being a fisherman (including friendships) and I thank God for many of them.

GT
George Terrien

Champion Boats - www.championboats.com

OPTIMA Batteries - www.optimabatteries.com.

NBAA Motor City Inland Challenge - www.nbaabass.com

Highest Honor - www.highesthonor.biz

K&E Team Stopper - www.stopperlures.com

blakstr1

Quote from: Bassman24 on March 14, 2006, 12:04:51 PM
Boy this was a tough at first then I realized what it is for me.? I am not trying to get all religious on anyone...but

God's Beauty

Sunrises/Sunsets
Rainbows
Huge fish - musky, Sturgeon
Wildlife
My kids

I have been able to experience so many cool things from being a fisherman (including friendships) and I thank God for many of them.

GT

Well said....my wife always gets on me for missing church during the tournament season, but I almost feel the closest to God when I'm out in nature experiencing first hand what a GLORIOUS God we have.
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

frogman

tossing topwaters on warm, humid, sunday, august afternoon, off the deck of the triton, while why my wife reads a book and my daughter is catching some rays on the back deck

DennisB.

Moments like these. Also the feel of warm carpet on my feet for the first time each year.
Sun on my face after a long winter and a tug on the line.

My son caught his first smallie all by himself this past summer on Kent. reeled it in and landed it all by him self. It was great, I looked back at my wife and she was crying wich made me cry a little. If heaven is better than this we are all in for a treat.

joshimoto son

For me believe it or not.... and no matter what is happening, weather I'm fishing a tournament or practicing... it is as simple and un-eventfull as it gets, but it's when I turn around from the trolling motor and sit down on my front deck in between my consouls... and just re-tie.

I always feel this sensation of warmth and relaxation... it's kind of like hitting the reset button.

Stupid huh? But that's it.
for those of you who know me... I'm sure you can see where that would work, and for those of you who don't know me... well... let's just say I don't fish to relax.

Joshimoto son ;D

smbassman

Regular fishing days - its being on a still lake before everyone else is out of bed.  No speed boats, no jet skis, nobody screaming and yelling.  That really is the best part of fishing for me.

On tournament days - it's the deeeeep breath I take after the first cast hits the water.  As I try to slow my body down from the anticipation I have felt since the night before. 

fishstick

puttin the boat on plane on the way to that first spot...its that feeling of not knowing whats gonna happen when you get there...

blakstr1

it's pretty cool hearing everybodies opinions on this, it justs reminds me we are all obsessed!!  ;)
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

5alive

The feeling of anticipation, either making that first cast or idling out in the tournament boat line, there is no better feeling (especially if your on em!). And all that is provided by mother nature. I try not to get too worked up before the event, being it fun fishing or tournament fishing, it makes for a much more enjoyable day.

I also get that warm fuzzy feeling watching and listening to my 2 boys making wagers on who's going to catch what and how big, and then having them try to outdo each other once we get into some fish, then they decide it's them against me and that gets my intensity up.
Jeff Harris

www.quantumfishing.com
www.strikeking.com

Revtro

My favorite moment was also a deeply spiritual one from about 5 years ago.  One evening after sunset, I was making my way down the long canal back to the launch.  I had the whole canal to myself and it was so quiet that you could hear the crickets and frogs.  There was no breeze so the water was completely calm.  I slowed the boat and closed my eyes for a moment and at that moment I realized not only the beauty of God's awesome creation, but I also realized how blessed and fortunate I am to even be able to own a boat and enjoy something so peaceful and wonderful.  That feeling of gratitude has never left me and every time I'm on the water I feel thankful.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

spinninbug

There are alot of things that I enjoy,  I enjoy being with all my friends,  which I have withdrawals from all winter because they are all down in Jackson,  but I think the best for me is the fact that weather I'm fishin and 3 hour or an 8 hour tournament I get my husband all to myself for all that time.  Doesn't matter that I have to share him with the outdoors,  there is just something about being out there with him that makes it special. 

I love fishing with other people too but it's just not the same as it is when I fish with him.  Special.
Wendy

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

225XS4Garza200PXL

My absolute favorite thing about tournaments is that anticipation and rush when the few numbers before yours are being called... and then up comes yours and you blast off... its one of the greatest feelings ever...

As for fishing in general, it has to be the peacefulness of the sport and the time you have by yourself out there is priceless... the currents, the blue of the water, those nice brown fish, the birds, the sun... everything... and we're so blessed to have it... to be able to experiece it... I thank God before, during and after my days on the water...

Jose
Jose Garza

Guide and Tournament Angler - Book a Trip Today!!
www.josegarzafishing.com

Stratos Boats - The Performance Company
www.stratosboats.com

Wonderland Marine West
www.wonderlandmarinewest.com

Provider Tackle - Pro's Choose It, We Supply It!
www.providertackle.com

Nemesis Baits - Hand Poured Goodness in Every Bag!
www.nemesisbaits.com

Mizmo Bait Co.
www.mizmo.com

Hooksetter

The night before the first tournament is unbearable sweet. I check everything at least three times. I can't sleep or think about anything else except the next day. It drives my wife crazy.

The first time I drop the hammer the first time out each year is also a rush.

The BEST thing is when my grown daughters call and ask me to take them fishing. I can't wait until my grandson is old enough to take fishing. He just turned 1 so it won't be long now!
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

EliteFF

Wow. What a great topic to see on one of these websites. At last someone is talking about what it is all about, instead of who did what. This is in itself one of those sweetest things.

For me it all starts with the crack of the Mercury firing up. Then seeing the daybreak on the eastern horizon as I idle through the smoke of the other engines. Those 10 minutes before take off are some of the most precious moments in my life. A time to pray and give thanks that we live in a country where we have this right. Seeing the look in my opponents eyes as we are all full of about as much ambition as we are ever going to have for the rest of that day.
A favorite song echoes in the back of my mind as you here boat #1 shouted in the distance. As I watch  the eruption of the morning arriving as one by one boats disappear into the sunrise.
  I remember that it is a new day and a new start every time I go out whether tournament or not. A chance to become as one with the environment I am in. I love sharing this time with whoever is with me and hoping that they see it just as I do.

Live your life so that the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral

djkimmel

Ladies and Gentlemen, you are all special - this thread is special - what it's all about. Thank you.

I'm pinning this one because it needs to be read by everyone who visits here each day I think. I can smell the water...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

3 A.M. this morning the dog was out barking at the breakwall,  i went out to hear ducks quacking,  geese honking and seeing open water...   the wife asked what she was barking at..  i told her, " Lolas friends were back for the summer.."     we all went back to sleep..
spring is getting closer..

remember today is march 15th   "  The Ides of March "

smbassman

Yep, my pond is about 95% open and the geese, ducks are already back.  We have had the same pair of geese on the pond for the last 5 years.  I know they are the same becasue they are the only ones that ignore me as I yell at them and try to scare them away.  I have also seen mallards and woodies so far.  We should be seeing the buffle heads and hooded mergansers soon, though they do not hang around long.  These two and the male wood ducks are the most beatiful of all the ducks that I know of. 

McCarter

Quote from: smbassman on March 15, 2006, 09:21:43 AM
These two and the male wood ducks are the most beatiful of all the ducks that I know of.

I can relate smbassman.  I used to have a crush on Daisy Duck when i was a little kid.

;D

PoorBoy himself :-\'