Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 10:46:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Non-boater looking for some time on the water.

Started by jonnymcsavage, January 11, 2009, 09:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeeterman190

One of the guys i fish with throws a frog on a heavy spinning rod and braided line. I think he catches more then me on it too?? i got that whole hand to eye coordination too fast i guess. I always fish boat docks with a spinning rod and usually dont have too many probs. oh wait Tim thinks im the granddaddy master @ losing big fish so maybe i should take a closer look?? rock on spinning rods!!!!-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

skeeterman190

I would agree anytime spent on the water is a plus. You learn something new everyday! Fishing with as many new anglers as possible is also a plus. we all have our own little tricks and tips that are different from the others. alot of them your not going to hear about on here but from the certain person himself. I wouldnt recomend thrown the frog deal on a spinning rod. As Eric said a high speed baitcaster is a must in tons of situations. spinning rods are just too slow! i have to teach myself to skip with a baitcaster and ill be set. Dont go the road that i went and try to learn all these things on your own its frustrating and at time you just want too give up. talk to as many anglers possible and fish with them just as much. it will make you a better fisherman period!-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

thedude

i'm down to 2 spinning rods.... dropshot and a shakey head/split shot rig.
turns out a rod blank doesn't care if its built as a spinning rod or a casting rod... and they make these weeee little baitcasters in japan that would work great for drop shotting.. so hopefully i'll be down to 1 soon.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Cheetam

Spinning reels are getting faster (just like baitcasters).  4.7:1 is probably the most common right now (or close to that), but newer reels like the Shimanos have 6.0:1 and 6.2:1.  You'll be able to crank in the smallies a whole lot faster now. 

Just for fun, here's a comparison, a new Shimano Citica 200 has a 6.2:1 gear ratio which brings in 27" per turn, and a new Symetre with a 6.0:1 gear ratio brings in 35" per turn (2500 size).  Which is faster?  The slow gear ratio reals (4:7.1 like a Daiwa Tierra) bring in roughly 28 to 32" per turn.
Jeff

skeeterman190

Very nicely played there cheetam. got 2 of the new citicas and want a few of the new symetres. ive got the old ones and love them. from what ive looked @the new citicas bring in just as much line per turn as a curado or calais.. id much rather pay 120 bucks then 200-400? Symetre is also an awesome reel. i think what most are getting @ its the power u have with a baitcaster?? im a huge spinning rod guy like yourself.-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

Cheetam

Quote from: skeeterman190 on January 14, 2009, 08:16:01 PM
Very nicely played there cheetam. got 2 of the new citicas and want a few of the new symetres. ive got the old ones and love them. from what ive looked @the new citicas bring in just as much line per turn as a curado or calais.. id much rather pay 120 bucks then 200-400? Symetre is also an awesome reel. i think what most are getting @ its the power u have with a baitcaster?? im a huge spinning rod guy like yourself.-skeeterman-
Here's the funny thing...I'm not really a huge spinning rod guy (unless I'm fishing with Dartag, then I have to pick it up  :D).  I'm a "power" fishing guy born and bred.  I'd rather burn a trap, minus 1, buzzbait, or anything else that makes my arm and shoulder burn at the end of the day then throw a shaky head or finesse jig.  I just wanted people to look past "gear ratios" and pay attention to the amount of line taken in per turn, especially when comparing apples to oranges (or in this case curados to symetres).
Jeff

skeeterman190

Well you duped us!! but point well taken. i dont believe in high dollar things in fishing. yeah i fish lucky craft and want a few c-flash crankbaits.but when it comes to certain things i think most are insane to pay price likes that to get the same thing with a few less bells and whistles for less cost. I dont want a 650 dollar calais that going to make me cast better with digital control...what bul****. ill buy 4 of something else and have a more readily available rod for a certain bait. too many people get caught up in the latest things. yeah the hummingbird things great but you still have to catch them on the same place you found with your Lowrance @ a much lower cost! plus it makes u frustrated cause you can see them there!!!-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

Lightningboy

Each is a tool suited to different jobs, based on lure & line size.  Baitcasters are an advantage in that they don't produce line twist.  They also provide greater retrieve power for the force applied, since it's a straight line retrieve without the friction of a 90 degree bend around a roller bearing.

But baitcasters require lure weight to induce spool spin.  If the lure is to light, it can't overcome the resistance of the spool to spin.  Spinning allows very little resistance to line release.  The fact that we usually use light line for this is to reduce resistance too. 

Baitcasters can handle light line just fine, we just can't manage a casting system that will get distance with light lures.

If you want speed, you need a big spinning reel.  But the line twist is terrible.  Sorry for the tech trip, but I was a physics major.   ;)

McCarter's right.  (did I say that?) Pick out a technique or two, and constantly make an effort to keep chucking it all season.  You'll get soooo much better.

Sorry we kinda hijacked your thread.   :(  But do like was said above; put up a post when you're available.  Odds are great somebody will be going out somewhere.

thedude

lightning boy nailed it... only thing i can add is the hookset is different between a spinning and casting rod.
we hold a spinning rod in our strong hand (typically if you're right handed) with you palm facing down. Your hookset utilizes your triceps & biceps and you can give it a firm, quick set. With a baitcaster your palm is up... now you're only using your bicep to set the hook.

Also when fighting a fish, the butt end of a spinning rod is braced against the outside of your forearm, allowing you to hold the rod out away from your body when fighting a fish - a casting rod you bring it into your gut or side for stability.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

skeeterman190

Wow where getting in depth here and yeah sorry we highjacked your post. And lightning you said McCaters right!! I love that guy!! any ways.dude your giving physical tips maybe we should all go out and get that gym membership to build up those muscles. i got mine just to run on the treadmill to look at the nice little fanny running in front of me. yes they are all tools thats a given. each has its own place. we have our flippin rods,our drop shot rods and our other tech specific rods. its alot of playing with things and experimenting.-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

jonnymcsavage

Well I guess my thread got hijacked but I am glad that I got lot of useful information from it. I have used spinning gear my entire time fishing and I am very comfortable with it, but I need to learn baitcasting to learn all of the right techniques. To put all of the guesswork aside, I am going to put the gear I am currently working with this season so here it goes.

Baitcasting

6'0" Berkley Cherrywood graphite MH with a Shimano Callisto C50-100 6.2:1 gear(spooled with 50lb test Spiderwire stealth braid(12lb dia.))

Spinning

DS- 6'6" Okuma ReFlexions M Fast Action w/ Shimano Solstace 2500FI 6.2:1 gear(spooled with 8lb Vanish fluorocarbon)

General purpose- 7'0" Daiwa Strikeforce M w/ Daiwa Samurai 7i- 2000 5.1 gear(spooled with 10lb Vanish fluorocarbon)

That's all I have right now but I saw a nice Quantum Accurist baitcasting combo for $99.00 at Gander Mtn. tonight that I might pick up in a few weeks. Well If I had to pick two things that I would like to learn, it would be the lipless cranks and jig and pig. I really appreciate all of the feedback guys and I couldn't be more greatful!

cr

WOW ! This is why I love this forum, all great stuff , and where else can you find this many people willing to share their techniques like this . Now how about finding fish on new water ? Deep cranks ?

jonnymcsavage

This is a really great place and I can't wait to hit the water and catch some monsters this year. I want to try for a DNR Master Angler patch as well. Hopefully with some luck I can finally nail it. As for cranks, I would love to learn how to throw them eventually. I am actually kinda curious about a lure my girlfriend bought me at the end of last season. It's a Jackall Giron in Ghost Bluegill color. At the very least I want to attempt to use it this year.

skeeterman190

Thats a good girl 2 buy that bait keep her!!  Im glad youve picked up some good info from this post.. im sure if you put more posts we'll all chime in and give more info. Crankbait fishing?? im not a master at this but can give you a few tips.. dont just throw it out and crank it back in.. pay attention to the graph and pick a bait accordindly. if its 6ft. throw a bait that runs 6ft and root up the bottom. unless the weed growth limits you. then throw something accordingly. Stick to McCarters input.. find something that works and master it. I would say a jig an pig or stick bait(senko). 2 of the best bass catching baits ever made.. the senko will give you tons of confidence it ALWAYS catches fish. Jig fishing is an art and takes some time. Pick up some terminator finesse jigs and start. throw them on a spinnig rod. another good one is the Zorro finesse jig. small trailers the Zoom baby chunck. it will teach u how to decipher things. jig fishing is all about feel!!-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

jonnymcsavage

I will definitely pick some up when I can. The lake I normally fish is full of slop during the summertime so it will be a challenge fishing some of these baits. I was thinking about maybe trying to do some topwater stuff on that lake because the weeds are so dense they pretty much choke out the motor on my girlfriend's grandfather's pontoon boat. Lots of lily pads and milfoil to be had so I was thinking about throwing some RageTail Toads on top of it to really bring out the bigguns'. So much stuff to learn, such a short season...

skeeterman190

i would go with the Spro Bronzeye frog!! U can fish it a little slower and get more strikes!Slop fishing is an art in itself.. you can pitch a jig or a soft plastic creature. but bring a big weight. 1oz for most situatuations. if theres boat docks around skip a stik bait under them!!!-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

Cheetam

I wouldn't necessarily say your post was hijacked, although you did get a little more info than you asked for  :D...My point was you don't HAVE to have/use specific equipment for certain techniques.  It can really limit your thinking.  A lot of what we consider basic/common techniques started because someone decided to do something that was outside the norm.  I didn't see this point, and if it is in here somewhere, I apoligize...If you are looking to master a new technique, bring one rod and nothing else.  It forces you to really focus on learning that technique/bait.  When I wanted to get the hang of carolina rigging, I think I brought two rods with me, one rigged with a 1/2 oz weight, and one with a 3/4 and only had a handful of baits to use.  You definitely won't have the temptation to put down the rod and fall back on what you know best.
Jeff

jonnymcsavage

I completely agree jcheetam. I know spinning gear the best so I think I may need to get another baitcating set up because that's what I really want to learn most of all and I am really not good at it.

FOB

I know I may be out of line here, but I thought I would reply to the original post.
I would suggest joining a local bass club.  For example, our club, Avid Bass Anglers of Michigan, Pinckney, MI., is always looking for new members, boaters, and non-boaters alike. We hold 6 local club tournaments yearly.  One of the rules is you can not fish with another club member more then once.  This allows non-boaters to fish with 6 different boaters, learning from each other.  Here is the web site with contact information. ( Dave McGlaughlin is the club president, and will be more then happy to answer any questions )
www.avidbassanglersofmichigan.com
If you need any other information, you can always pm me.

Ralph Blasey
Wonderland Marine West  734-417-5550

t-bone

Quote from: jcheetam on January 15, 2009, 09:01:28 AM
I wouldn't necessarily say your post was hijacked, although you did get a little more info than you asked for  :D...My point was you don't HAVE to have/use specific equipment for certain techniques.  It can really limit your thinking.  A lot of what we consider basic/common techniques started because someone decided to do something that was outside the norm.  I didn't see this point, and if it is in here somewhere, I apoligize...If you are looking to master a new technique, bring one rod and nothing else.  It forces you to really focus on learning that technique/bait.  When I wanted to get the hang of carolina rigging, I think I brought two rods with me, one rigged with a 1/2 oz weight, and one with a 3/4 and only had a handful of baits to use.  You definitely won't have the temptation to put down the rod and fall back on what you know best.

I agree with this completely. When I've tried to learn a new technique, I'll try it for an hour and then get frustrated and switch to what I'm good at just to catch something. You really can't do that. You need to stick it out, have a friend with you that can work with you on the technique. At least you can see that they are catching it and its not impossible. Might allow you to stick with it longer. You have to build confidence it the bait and not give up. Its all to easy to set it down and pick up a worm but your missing the opportunity. One rod or a couple with different flavors of the same bait is the way to go.

Last year I forced myself to learn to crank and now I'm loving it. It is finally something I have confidence in throwing. I got so confident that my friends in the backseat were begging for a crankbait as I'd be up 10 to 1 on them.

Jerkbaits and Jigs are this years projects!
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250