Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:04:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Non-boater looking for some time on the water.

Started by jonnymcsavage, January 11, 2009, 09:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonnymcsavage

Hey guys. It has been quite a while since I posted on here last but I am getting the fever again after being to the fishing show in Novi this past weekend and I am itching to get out on the water this year. I am really interested in learning new things to make me a better bass fisherman. I am willing to pay for gas and willing to get up early as well. I wouldn't mind entering a tournament either. If anyone on here would be so kind as to get me out this year I would really appreciate it. I live in Northville at the moment and I am willing to drive out to where ever I need to to get out and really do some fishing!

Bender

Starting the first Tuesday evening after opening day the KLBA will start up again on Kent Lake. It's not a high dollar tournament, $40 per team with 100% payback. It is more to get out and fish and have a good time. Kent can be an incredible lake (if you can find them) and the springtime and late fall are the best times. I know last year there were several people that ended up fishing alone because there were not enough non-boaters so keep an eye out for when those start back up.
Also be sure to check out the EBA, their area is down the page under TBF clubs. It is a great way to meet people and get to fish a lot of different waters in a noncompetitive manner.
Also hit me up when after the opener because I try to get on the water as much as possible and a lot of times I end up out there by myself and would be happy fish with somebody.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

jonnymcsavage

I appreciate it bender and I will keep that in mind after the opener. I am looking to get a bass boat within the next year or two, but I really need to get out there more. I am getting tired of shore fishing LOL! I will get back to you for sure when the season starts.

Bloomer

Also look into the ABA, if you are interested in tournament fishing. Don't need a boat, sign up as a non-boater get paried at the tournament. Great way to fish out of a lot of different boats and get a feel for what kind of boat you would be really interested in, not to mention learning various different techniques. I know that group was always short of non-boaters last year.

t-bone

Does the KLBA have a website or is it word of mouth. I've been looking for a local night tournament and this is close since I live in Wixom.

Terry
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

SethV

Check out the BFL trail.  It is a great chance for you to see some of the best fishing in Michigan at a reasonable cost.  If you sign up with a boater it gives you priority entry.  You won't fish with your boater that you signed up with on Tx day (random draw), but many boaters like to have a practice partner.

http://bfl.flwoutdoors.com/

You could always draw someone like me (average guy), but you also have the chance to draw some of the best guys in the area (Modrak, Clapper, Baylog, ect)

Seth

t-bone

Cool - I'll talk with Brian. I met him at the show, he lives nearby and bought some of those great gobies off him.

Thanks for the info

Terry Bone
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

fiker

Nemesis Gobies don't work on Kent.  Don't buy them for Kent.  Once bought, don't use them on Kent.  If used don't set the hook.  If the fish hooks itself, don't land it, shake it off.  If it won't shake off, land the fish, and immediately let it go.  Do not put it in the live well.  If put in the livewell, don't bring it to the weigh in. 

This advice also applies to the Klk (Kent Lake Killer) color of stick worms. 

Now I guess Nemesis is also producing shakey worms.  For goodness sake, save your money.  Don't buy those either!

I will purchase any Nemesis baits at a much reduced price from you though.  Just so you can now go out a buy a bait that works. 
Glad to do it.  Cause that's the kind of guy I am.   All heart.

Oh, yeah.  And don't buy any of their jigs either.     
lol
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

skeeterman190

I would for sure check out the BFL's if you want to fish in some tournies. I dont fish out that way but Brian McCarter will definately point you in the right direction on the KLBA tournies. The BFL's would be a great learning experience. Like stated before you could draw one of us or a true legend on those waters. I have 2 buds that have fished with Clapper and said that it was truly amazing to just be in the boat with him and see the way he fishes. -skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

skeeterman190

Ive got a grudge too write on something. I dont care how good your are! how can you look down upon another person?(thats for the boater out there thats think there superior to another person that sets foot in there boat). im sure im gonna get some hate mail on this. its the whole boater, co-angler deal. were all human and maybe some of us have more time and money then others and maybe its talent. I commend Eric.. His Co got a 7lber last year @ Burt.if he had that fish he WON!! only one he got and his first BFL hes ever fished, it made his day and prolly hooked him for life!!  Any Co that steps foot in my boat is appreciated and will be treated like an equal! -skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

skeeterman190

That wasnt aimed @ u Eric just some others ive heard that treat people like S***... No need for that.-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

Lightningboy

Sparky and I would be happy to take you out.  We get around a lot, and run into many types of bites.  Some are easy, others difficult. 

So give us some idea of what you have experience doing.  That way we can pick trips that suit your level of experience.  We can also do something you've never done but wanted to.  If you've never dragged jigs on the mile roads it's a cool experience; or you might be interested in drop shotting on Erie. 

So expand a little guy...

skeeterman190

Get into the DK OPEN spring edition. Sounds like its gonna be on St.Clair. you'll have an awesome time. get to meet all the people here and learn invaluable info on fishing from the best of the best from this area.-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

jonnymcsavage

Well to give you some idea of my experience I picked  up drop shot last year and I am getting pretty darn good with it. I have the basics of bass fishing more or less mastered and I am looking into getting into something a little more advanced to really take my fishing to the next level. I would consider myself an average angler. I am also learing how to use baitcasting gear because I have used spinnning gear all of my life so I thought it was a time for a change. I don't have much money for gear but I do what I can.

TCook

The basics of bass fishing require using casting gear, so you might have a ways to go. I am assuming you dont throw jigs, spinnerbaits, cranks, texas rig, jerkbaits, frogs, buzzbaits, spoons, bladebaits, or topwater on a spinning rod because in most cases that would be a bad idea. I think you are heading in the right direction though by signing up here and attempting to get out with some experienced anglers. If you have no tournament experience then I would recammend you join a local club or try finding a boater that will fish small local events for atleast the first year then move up. The DK open would be a great idea to start out the year and meet some of the guys here, not to mention you would feel at home with your spinning gear on st clair and likley catch a load of smallies.
FISH HARD!!!

McCarter

Pick one or two baits and/or techniques you want learn or improve on  and then concentrate on those for at least one season.  my problem when i first started getting into bass fishing was that i wanted to do everything that i seen the guys on tv doing.  But i had no concept of where, when, and why they were using specific baits and techniques.  If you try to do too much at once, you will end up learning very little about any.

Its sounds like you have a good grip on DS fishing.  Thats a good technique to know.  But there are a couple other big ones that will help you catch more fish.

I would suggest learning to throw a jig and pig (or pork) as it is one of the most versatile and productive baits out there.  With learning a jig, you will need to learn a few techniques that accompany the bait.  Flipping/pitching being a big one.  Also, swimming a jig has really started to catch on and can really put fish in the boat under the right conditions.  Spend some time with a jig this year and I guarantee you that you wont regret it. 

But really, concentrate on learning, really learning, just a few things each year rather than trying to get a feel for everything at once.  Its counter productive in the long run.

And as everyone else is saying, make friends with people who fish and get involved as a co angler in tournaments or in fishing clubs.  the EBA is a good club to look at.  They are local and they are all out there to learn and to help each other.  Talk to Tom Ouwellen(sp?) also known as Revtro on this forum.

McCarter himself :-\'

Mojo

;D ;D

Happy New Year Folks !! Y'all knew I couldnt stay away! From the sound of this board y'all have cabion fever or something. Nut jobs..... all of ya. Let the Mojo help this fella out here .....

Well McSavage - I know how you feel - completely. You caught the same virus I caught just a few years ago. Good luck partner, cause if you get around these addicts you're going to become even more hopeless !! Not having a boat (me too) gives you many positives, however, First - you're going to meet awesome people. Our EBA club lets non competitive NBs group with boater for the express purpose of learning different techniques from experienced boater. I fish alot with one fella and you will too. But being able to swap out boaters, like the EBA does (we even switch at lunch) lets you see how other guys attack the water. Your learning curve will go off the charts.

Next - I noticed NOONE mentioned a local NBAA tourny - if you post on this site come MArch or April and post what lakes you like to fish, chances are, someone with a boat who needs a NB will find you. About $42 bucks a boat plus gas, once a week. Some go for 10 - 14 weeks. But thats with one guy all year.

Third, Nemisis baits are a touch softer bait, but rock on LSC. Was my best DS bait last summer - 3 inch goby in 12 - 32 ft of water. I am trading the softer but more action for less resilience .... fish after fish. But hey, if a bait is getting smacked 4  - 8 times per hour, maybe $4 - 5 bucks for the day is worth it  ??? Cmon guys - They last unless the fish are fighting to get to it, and at that point, if you found the school, they'll hit bubble gum so move to a similar color DS plastic and save the Nemisis gobage to attract the next school !!

Fourth, Eric is refering to me. I can post in public he GAVE UP his spot on the championship team last year so WE could have a positive tournament day. What does that mean ? Means, for 8 hours we hunted bed fish on the front deck together, he taught me color and pitch technique, what to look for and how to sneak up in 2 feet without scaring them girls. I bagged 1 or 2 fish and so did he, but he easily coulda back boated me, landed 5 fish in 4 hours and maybe even caught more once I had the boat. Hats off to that gentleman. Will you get that kind of love from up front JonyMcSavage? maybe once in a hundred. Most times you get what you give, and once in a while you land the jockstrap who grows with each fish he lands .......

But I'll tell ya this to answer your question:

*  Join the DK open and youll get paired up to start and end the season.
*  Join the EBA and you'll meet a dozen great humans with no cocky ahole drivers
*  Sometimes just post a day you can get out and you may get several brodoskis who'll PM you and set something up.

Have at it ..... and there is no cure for what you got by the way.

Mojo
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Cheetam

Quote from: TCook on January 14, 2009, 01:23:07 PM
I am assuming you dont throw jigs, spinnerbaits, cranks, texas rig, jerkbaits, frogs, buzzbaits, spoons, bladebaits, or topwater on a spinning rod because in most cases that would be a bad idea.
I throw small jigs, texas rigs, jerkbaits (hard and soft), frogs (soft plastic - believe it or not, although not all the time), spoons (I'm referring to jigging, not dare devale style), bladebaits (assuming silver buddy style) and topwater on a spinning rod.  I also throw senko style baits, dropshot, tubes, and other stuff I'm probably forgetting on a spinning rod.  They are pretty versatile with the right set-up.
Jeff

TCook

QuoteI throw small jigs, texas rigs, jerkbaits (hard and soft), frogs (soft plastic - believe it or not, although not all the time), spoons (I'm referring to jigging, not dare devale style), bladebaits (assuming silver buddy style) and topwater on a spinning rod.  I also throw senko style baits, dropshot, tubes, and other stuff I'm probably forgetting on a spinning rod.  They are pretty versatile with the right set-up.

On a spinning rod finesse jigs yes, but any other jig never. texas rig almost never I like alot of backbone to set the hook through the plastic. jerkbaits only the 78 size with light line under certain circumstances. frogs I never use spinning again you need alot of backbone to set the hook. spoons and silver buddies I never use spinning, I like a shorter MH baitcasting setup for virticle jigging. topwater can go either way but I without a doubt prefer a short medium casting setup. senko's, dropshot and tubes or any soft plastic with an open hook I use on spinning gear. Just my opinion though. :-\'
FISH HARD!!!

Cheetam

Quote from: TCook on January 14, 2009, 03:33:06 PM
QuoteI throw small jigs, texas rigs, jerkbaits (hard and soft), frogs (soft plastic - believe it or not, although not all the time), spoons (I'm referring to jigging, not dare devale style), bladebaits (assuming silver buddy style) and topwater on a spinning rod.  I also throw senko style baits, dropshot, tubes, and other stuff I'm probably forgetting on a spinning rod.  They are pretty versatile with the right set-up.

On a spinning rod finesse jigs yes, but any other jig never. texas rig almost never I like alot of backbone to set the hook through the plastic. jerkbaits only the 78 size with light line under certain circumstances. frogs I never use spinning again you need alot of backbone to set the hook. spoons and silver buddies I never use spinning, I like a shorter MH baitcasting setup for virticle jigging. topwater can go either way but I without a doubt prefer a short medium casting setup. senko's, dropshot and tubes or any soft plastic with an open hook I use on spinning gear. Just my opinion though. :-\'
Definitely finesse when referring to jigs and texas rigs etc (I forgot to mention split shot rigs, and shaky head as well...I knew there were more).  I'm not flipping or pitching to mats with big jigs and texas rigs on a spinning rod.  :D The frog thing always throws people off when they see it, but I sometimes use a MH spinning rod that lost some of its tip in a little accident.  A lot of backbone on that sucker, absolutely no problem sinking a hook, and I can throw a frog a LONG way on 30 pound braid (I'll use this setup in shallow, clear water and fish are cruising and spooky).  I'm not saying any one way is the right way or better than the other, only that a spinning rod doesn't have to be limited to drop shotting and tubing.
Jeff