Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:10:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Winter Gear Storage

Started by Langer, November 26, 2008, 01:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langer

Do any of you store your baits and plastics outside in the garage over the winter? picked up a couple nice cabinets to use in the garage and was saving a couple shelves to keep my tackle on. Will the cold harm the soft plastics at all?
Wayne County Bass Anglers
-2008 President

Cheetam

I have no choice but to leave all my gear out in the garage.  I have bags and bags of soft plastics I have stored out there for 3-5 years.  I haven't really seen any difference in them come spring time.  My only suggestion is to make sure they aren't stored near any gas cans or other stinky flammable things that may leave an unpleasant smell on your baits.  About the only thing I do with my equipment now a days is loosen all the drags on my reels before I put them away for their long winter nap.
Jeff

cr

I'm glad you started this discussion because I was wondering the same thing about my scented soft baits . I took all my baits that were in the boat into the basement when I cleaned it out to put it away, but I balked at taking all my baits in the garage inside . I think I will now though , just in case .....

dartag

i pile everything in the garage in the corner.   I did bring my Gulp baits in the house because i read the cold destroys them.   Them 1/2 senkos are tough and can stand the cold.  this is the first year i have not stored my boat inside.  it is sitting beside the house covered up.  I can hear it whimpering in the cold out there. 

bosshawg

Quote from: jcheetam on November 26, 2008, 02:00:18 PM
About the only thing I do with my equipment now a days is loosen all the drags on my reels before I put them away for their long winter nap.

mine also in corner of garage 'til sometime in january. then i'll bring everything in to sort out & re-organize, strip old line off, etc.
being that i've been out of work, sorta had time to make a corner in storage room area of basement for this activity during the dead months of winter.
if it feels good - SET THE HOOK!!

Michigan Bass Busters

Waterfoul

I store all my gear indoors for 2 reasons:

Because I can.  Plain and simple.

Keeps them from being stolen.  I had $1700 worth of tools and fishing gear stolen from my garage this summer and will NOT go thru that again.  I guess I would add that I have always stored my gear (rods, baits, net, etc...) indoors for the winter but why leave it out for someone to take from you if you have the option of bringing it indoors?  I turned my back room/mud room into my fishing gear room several years ago.  I have a Michigan basement so storing anything down there only leads to rust and corrosion.  The back room is semi heated and much dryer than my basement.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

jerkin

Quote from: dartag on November 26, 2008, 04:59:54 PM
i pile everything in the garage in the corner.   I did bring my Gulp baits in the house because i read the cold destroys them.   Them 1/2 senkos are tough and can stand the cold.  this is the first year i have not stored my boat inside.  it is sitting beside the house covered up.  I can hear it whimpering in the cold out there. 

Thats just funny dude whimpering  ;D ;D

kgr624

Mike,
       Well who ever stole your stuff must have not takin the right stuff cause through that adversity you had a heck of a year in the K-ville series. Sorry to hear that happend. I hate when things get stolen. The lowest thing anybody could do. I also have to agree about the Michigan basement problem. One thing that could help out with rusting is a drier sheet in your boxes to help out with moisture. I have had a whole box of all my hooks and jig heads go bad because I didn't do that. Just a thought
Your either getting better or worse you never just stay the same

fiker

Jack Cahn brought us some samples that his company makes, or at least sells in the company store.  they are little plastic pieces that go in your tackle box and fight rust.  I have two and they seemed to work fine.  They actually look like the dividers in a Plano 3700 box, but they are almost black in color.
Perhaps Jack can chime in and tell us what they were called cause I forget.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390