Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 07:33:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

crank shaft

Started by StarBoard7, September 20, 2008, 04:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarBoard7

Hey guys,

I have a 96 ranger 391v with a 200hp merc efi.
I was recently fishing lake erie and snaped the crank shaft on my motor just below the flywheel.

I took apart some of the motor and can not find the cause of this all the pistons seem to be ok.

I just don't understand where the pressure would come from to snap the crank shaft.
I'm kind of just hoping the crank shaft is the only thing wrong haha like thats not enough right.

Anyway I don't really know where to go from here I figure I can spend over 2k and hopefully fix it or just by a new re-built motor for around 5k either way it sucks.
Or buy the crank shaft myself and make it a winter project.

Anyone who might have any input on what they would do or that may of any mechanics or places to find re-built motors would be greatly appreciated.
I live around the cleveland ohio area.

I wish buying a new boat was an option but its not I still owe around 5k on this one and part of me just want to sell it as is and hope to get around 3.5-4k and just eat it and then start saving for a new rig but I know if I either fix the motor or buy a re-built one I can probably sale it for 11-12k I think anyway.

Thanks Joe

fish2wn

I'd check out e-bay for a new engine. Hopefully you can find a great deal. I just bought a new trolling motor that retails at BPS for $789.00 for $490.00.

SethV

It is really odd that the crank would break with no piston/cylinder damage.  How do the cylinder walls look?  Motor turn over by hand freely?

You can rebuild it yourself if you are good at working on motors - not too hard.  I did a 150 XR6 a years ago - I had trashed the crank due to a bearing failure.  Block was ok.  Honed it and re-ringed and it was good to go.  I had about 1700 in the rebuild.

If you do elect to go with another motor - I would really want one with a warranty.  Buying a used motor with no warranty is like buying a time bomb.

Good luck!

motocross269

With new boats pushing 50k repowering older boats is starting to be a viable option...If your boat is in good shape and you really like it a new motor may be money well spent..I have seen brand new in the crate 200s for around 10 grand....That gives you the warranty you may be looking for and you will have a boat with a brand new motor..
If you don't like the hull then you have kind of a dillema..Hulls without motors seem to be very hard to sell...