Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:02:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Very Best Dirt Ramp Bass Lakes

Started by Mojo, July 30, 2019, 09:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

As summer progresses, sometimes, you want to just get away to hit some smaller, tucked away,  less tx fished lakes. What are some of your absolute favorite gems that ONLY have dirt ramps? This ought to be good ! Ready ? Go !
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

stackenem

Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

21XDC

Quote from: stackenem on July 30, 2019, 04:06:56 PM
oxbow lake

100% private w/o any ramp... I used to launch at TUBES!  They have shut down any launching... Good lake though.

2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

stackenem

Mike, different oxbow lake. this one is in Otsego county by Gaylord.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

dartag

Lower Pettibone north of Milford.    Used to fish Moore Lake off Lower Pettibone rd.  The dirt ramp is north of the lake off Lower Pettibone lake rd.  You have to take the creek south to the lake.   Only problem is both lakes are fished by people that take the fish home for dinner. 

Lots of little lakes but not a lot with access.   

Going to try 7 Lakes in Holly Rec area.   Got a tournament there in a couple weeks.   Guess it is a great Flipping Lake.

djkimmel

I'd like to hear how Big Seven is doing? Was one of my childhood lakes growing up in Flint. Been forever since the last time I was there. Think it was a no gas motors lake when I was a kid though the memory isn't the best to trust these days?

One person's 'good dirt ramp lake' is sometimes another person's 'I don't like it lake.' I like Round a lot but some people think the fishing sucks (not having as stellar a year this year myself). Someone recently messed the ramp up bad too. Must have been a bigger boat that got stuck well...??

You should just say smaller, less popular lakes with limited parking as there are plenty of 'hard' ramp lakes that can be really good and don't get the attention the 'hot' lakes do. Derek and I pick new lakes off the county road map book every year to just try though he doesn't like a lot of dirt road or ramps he might get stuck on... If I really want to fish a lake with a dirt road or an iffy ramp I sometimes forget to mention to him some of the details... (don't tell him!?! I always pray for no rain on those days!! ::) ) though I wouldn't purposefully lead him too far astray.

The kayakers are a great source for less accessible lakes at times. I will pay attention to them when they're talking unsung lakes. Of course, some people don't like to publicly give out some of this information. Makes me of Durand Dan's 'hideaway' lake mentioned in another thread. I might know that lake though the last time I fished it several years ago we didn't do very well and haven't been back since. After all, there are 11,000 lakes to try just in Michigan!!!

One other thing I used to do more often was seek out lakes outside of Southern Michigan because many of those get even less attention. Besides a small ramp and an interesting looking set of contours, I would ask people in the area if the bass fishing was any good. A lot of those areas, people don't bass fish so much. Some of the best lakes I found were the ones the locals would say, 'not a good bass lake' or 'just a bunch of small bass.' ;D It was maybe 30 years ago but I recall Tea Lake being one of those. I had an awesome day of bass fishing just launching with the DNR lake map and casting!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

Going to fish Big Seven in the next couple weeks.   I have a club event there sometime.  Had to Google how to get to it.  Heard it is very weedy but a great flipping lake.  Figure I will donate some Tungsten and Jigs to the pike. 

djkimmel

Did you find out the motor situation there? It seems like way back (decades ago) it was a no gas motors lake but I forget if I've ever remembered to ask anyone who actually fishes there what it is now? At least if I did ask, I don't remember the answer. Part of the reason it hasn't moved up on our 'give it a try' list is that issue. Who wants to be putting a 20 foot bass boat onto the trailer with zero gas motor? Not many I know.

Seems like I heard they no longer stock trout in the other lake there with a boat ramp, but then, I don't pay a lot of attention to the trout stuff. They're that weird 'other' fish, sometimes bass food, purely incidental to my fishing. Used to be a few decent bass in that tiny lake but it's a deep, clear pothole.

One other thing I remember about that park - it used to have a good population of Mississauga Rattlesnakes. One of the few places I've ever seen them. One day a DNR guy showed us a whole bag of them he was catching for some type of work they were doing to help keep them alive and well in Michigan. I hope there's still some left.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.