Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:03:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

heading north

Started by stackenem, May 09, 2019, 06:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stackenem

so I will be heading to that great smallmouth fishery in the north western part of Mi on the 17th of this month. I will up  there for some where between 5 and 10 days, not sure just yet. I would really like to hit Charlevoix while I am there. Never have been there. Any body got any info they might want to share?

Thanks
Bill
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

21XDC

Fish the sand bar in Round Lk where the sail boats anchor.
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

djkimmel

You're pushing the early side this year with 'winter' having just left up there recently but I see plenty of my fishing friends are whacking big bass up there on unnamed lakes! There's lots of lakes of different size and water/bottom color so if the real deep, cold lakes like Elk, Torch and Charlevoix are still sleeping you can hit smaller and darker waters like Skeg.

The smallies want spring as bad as we do so things are starting to happen. I will send you some info on Charlevoix as it's one of my favorite lakes, and has a billion smallies in it (and because you're a good guy too!).

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

One thing to keep in mind, the water out in the big lake will probably be colder so Charlevoix often warms from east to west and south to north. If wind pushes Lake Michigan water back in it can drop the temps in Round Lake and the western part of Charlevoix quite a bit in a hurry so things can and do change.

The South Arm is darker, shallower water with softer bottom areas so it warms up quicker, though it does not have the big populations the main lake has, it can save a day if the main lake is really slow yet. I've caught more walleye in the South Arm as well. You can catch almost any kind of fish that lives anywhere in Michigan in Charlevoix. Big ones too.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

stackenem

Well after looking at the weather for the next 15 days up north I have moved my vacation to the first week of June. Maybe things will warm up by then. Looking like rain and high winds all next week up there. :(
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

djkimmel

The would be no fun on most of the big lakes up there. First week of June will feature much better fishing odds with a bigger variety of options.

motocross269

I am up there the same week..I wanted to go later but that is the time that worked out for me.....We are probably going to be a bit early for the Main lake on Charlevoix.. I am staying at Youngs state park and would rather launch in Boyne city but I'll probably trailer over to Ironton the first day and fish the south arm...
Lake Charlevoix is feast or famine for me.. I have gone a week up there working my rear off with very few bites then it is like someone hit a switch and the fish move up and I have a couple of my best days ever...
I think I am going to hit Interlochen on my way up and hit Duck and Green lake...I should have booked my first night at the State park there...
Then there is Walloon....I'll be there on windy days..

TheFishinPollock

Water is still going to be cold up here. We get one nice day , then 4 cold days. Yesterday is the first all day sun and light winds and heat day we have really had.  I wouldn't expect any bigger lake to be above 50 at the most next week. Smaller, shallower lakes are ok'ish. Just can't seem to get stable weather for a few days in a row. Guys have been out on my lake, but i know it's still cold cause my wader boot filled up pretty good. Skeg , glenn and some parts of crystal have been coughing up a few fish. But not much of any reports I've gotten have been good. For any type of fish at that.
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

motocross269

Well, I guess the worse that can happen is it turns into a Campfire and Beer week.... :) That is what happened when I was up there last October...First day was great then that night it started Snowing and raining and blowing about 30 mph... I stuck it out for a couple of days then left the campground and headed to the nice warm cottage and bowhunted the rest of the week...... ;)

djkimmel

The bass want to do their thing. One way or another they'll give it a try.

stackenem, I sent you some information.

stackenem

Thanks Dan. Sure will use this information. Actually going to print it off and take it with me !!!

fiker

Dan I?m taking the wife fishing for the first time next week.  I could use some info as well.  We are staying about 10 minutes south of the town of Charlevoix and will have to trailer the boat to fishing lakes from there.
Id like to find a numbers lake for small mouth and really get her hooked.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

djkimmel

When are you leaving fiker?

motocross269

I just read on the DNR fishing report that the Ironton Launch will be closed from June 3rd through August...That is going to make it a bit of a challenge to get to the south arm if the wind kicks up...
The East Jordan Launch was almost unusable last time I was there...Has anyone launched there recently?? ...
The Charlevoix city launch to the South arm could be a tough run in rough water....Its been about 15 years since I've launched out of the city launch
They also suggested Dutchmans bay...I've seen that launch while fishing but never launched there..

TheFishinPollock

They really need to pick a better time to do this kind of stuff. All summer long closure is just plain stupid!. Now there's a fee launch at east jordan. The crappy launch at dutchmans bay, boyne city or the state park on north lake only. They have had the entire month of may and some of april to get this kind of stuff done. Makes absolutely no sense to shut down that launch for the entire summer
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

motocross269

Quote from: TheFishinPollock on May 29, 2019, 11:29:29 PM
They really need to pick a better time to do this kind of stuff. All summer long closure is just plain stupid!. Now there's a fee launch at east jordan. The crappy launch at dutchmans bay, boyne city or the state park on north lake only. They have had the entire month of may and some of april to get this kind of stuff done. Makes absolutely no sense to shut down that launch for the entire summer
I 100 percent agree...do they really need to close the entire launch to do what appears to be mostly work on access..? ..Seems like they could split it off...
It's going to be a real challenge to get launched on Charlevoix if the wind is blowing  let alone the gas I'll burn if I can run every day from Boyne city to the south arm....
What if I break down in the south arm?. ..boat recovery would be tough..

motocross269

I had a decent 5 days...I did Horrible on Charlevoix but Walloon saved the trip for me...I didnt hammer them over there but had nice steady action...I got into some nice walleyes so that was fun..
My neighbor at the campground was slamming the walleyes on Charlevoix...He appeared to really know what he was doing..
I dont know if it is the economy or publicity or both but there were a ton of guys up there this year..5 years ago I had the launches to myself during the week this year they seemed pretty steady...Nothing overwhelming but definetly an increase in pressure..

TheFishinPollock

Lots of practice for tomorrows bass event on charlevoix and the 48 hour fishing tournament for every species on charlevoix happens this weekend also
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

djkimmel

Anglers go fishing where they hear the fishing is good. Charlevoix has a TON of smallmouth bass in it. Lots of other fish too.