Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:47:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

RAM mount?

Started by Buckeyenut313, August 27, 2008, 12:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckeyenut313

I wasn't sure where to place this topic, but since I've gotten great info here before I'll give it a shot.

I have a Ranger 621 deep v, and I learned the hard way that you MUST have a trolling motor stabilizer(like a RAM) if you are going to fish Erie. It took 5 years, but the Minn Kota mount "finally" broke in half- taking a nice half dollar sized gouge out of my gunwale and totaling the trolling motor.

So, my dilemma is: the largest RAM trolling motor stabilizer isn't long enough. I've searched their website and have tried calling and emailing RAM, but haven't had any success. Does anybody have any knowledge of ball or arm extensions or anything like that made by RAM for this purpose?

Thanks for any help.

Randy P.

Buckeyenut313

Triton,

I appreciate the help, but the arm I have(108-U) is longer than that one already (11" vs 8"). I need to find something like a base or something that will build my current arm up- do you know what I mean? It seems to me that they should have a base plate that is an inch or two high that my arm attaches to. I just can't seem to find one. I guess I may have to get creative and rig something up.

Thanks again.

Slipkey

Buckeye,

I've got an '04 620 and the RAM mount made for the Minkota Maxxum works very well.  I did customize it a bit but here's what I have:

RAM 108-D - this is the long arm stabilizer

I also purchased a separate mounting base and tapped the core at the back of the base.  I then ran a SS machine screw (backed with a washer) through the single hole in the Maxxum mount nearest the trolling motor head directly into the back of the mount.   

The mounting base is flat on the deck, but with this setup, you could as easily mount it on the port gunwale.

With that setup, there's plenty of length to lock things down.   The stabilizer doesn't need to prevent upward thrust as much as it needs to prevent the head from acting as a lever on the TM mounting bracket. so as long as you can press down on the TM head when it's locked on the RAM mount without any movement, you will be in good shape.

HTH,

Jon

Update:  I ran out an snapped a couple of pics w/ my phone camera.   I forgot to mention that I also placed a large rubber gasket between the mounting ball and the TM bracket to give a little extra shock absorbtion.

Buckeyenut313

Slipkey,

That looks like a real nice set-up! Thanks for the suggestion and taking the time to reply and snap the photos. This forum's members are an unbelievable wealth of information and ingenuity.

Thanks again!

Buckeyenut313

jcox7

Forget the ram mount the newest and greatest is out there now go to rmcboatworks.com and see the troll loc They specialy make a model for the walleye rigs I just gave mine to Russ Lane to try but Chad Pipkens and Ryan Said both have one on there rigs if you have any questions you can contact me at 734-260-2999
I think I should have one to show at the TBF Divisionals next week

This item just won awrads at ICAST and can also be seen in the last two FLW magazines