Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 04:30:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

IKE FIRED FROM RANGER

Started by dartag, February 28, 2006, 05:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dartag

from Bassfan

Ranger drops Ike 2/28/2006
Ranger Boats has dropped its sponsorship of Mike Iaconelli based on his behavior at the recent Bassmaster Classic. Here's the statement from Ranger president Randy Hopper.

"Based on a series of events that occurred during the recent Bassmaster Classic competition, Ranger Boats is withdrawing its sponsorship and affiliation with Mike Iaconelli. We do not believe that Mike's conduct during the tournament appropriately represents the deep-seated values on which our company was built and continues to operate.

"Ranger further acknowledges Iaconelli's impressive angling achievements as well as his commitment to promoting the sport of fishing. His efforts to encourage others through the platform of fishing are a credit to his many accomplishments. While we regret his actions leading to this decision, we wish Mike well in future ventures."

> During day 2 of the Bassmaster Classic, Berkley issued a statement stating Iaconelli would remain a Berkley pro-staff member. BassFan is awaiting comment from Iaconelli's other sponsors.

maybe Garza should call him to see if he wants to buy his boat...

rudycard72

I wonder what exactly the contracts are? Salary? Free Boat?

Cy

I would think both a pay check and a boat.  I wonder what this will due to his outboard sponsor?  I wasn't too long ago that Ike was picked up Ranger.  I remember an interview I saw with on Loud Mouth Bass last year and he was without a boat and motor sponsor at that time.

I would guess he is really sweating this entire thing!  I wonder what other sponsors will dump him?  Berkley is a big one but not the only one.

Cfruel
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Skulley

Does anyone really for one minute think that Iaconelli will be without a sponsor for long????? If I owned a boat company, this would be my opportunity to get a very well reknown Bass Pro on my Pro Staff.? I would seize this opportunity aggressively.? Although I feel Iaconelli's behavior was not very professional, one has to realize the pressure and stress he is under when fishing at that level for that kind of money and recognition.? That behavior is also not what I want my children to see on national television and I don't care if ESPN and the Disney Corporation think it is good TV or not.? I know I may sound a little contradictory, but I got a lot of respect for Iaconelli.? That is a lot of stress for one young man to handle.? I don't know if I could handle it and I am 20 years older than him.? I would've probably had a stroke.? Now would that be could TV to see a man have a stroke or a heart attack on national TV.? Disney's good TV just cost a man a rather lucrative sponsorship with a very well reknown boat company.?

Someone will snatch up Iaconelli in no time.? He will not be without a sponsor for long.? As long as he keeps placing in the $$$$, he will have no problem, however I am sure he will do all he can to change his behavior.  I personally hope he signs with someone like Champion or Stratos and then fish FLW and take all of Ranger's money that way. 

BD              ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

dartag

i think Ranger , Champion and Stratos are all Genmar companies... not sure he will get in there.. maybe Nitro will sign him since he is in the new catalog i just got..  KVD will have to get some INK on him

Skulley

You maybe right dartag.  Nitro and Iaconelli would be a good fit.  So would Triton and Iaconelli for that matter.  I did get that same catalog.  Good call.     :D

BD           ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

I have to believe things were already bumpy with Ranger since they don't normally drop you for one incident, although Ranger is family-oriented and might be bothered quite a bit by anything to do negatively with the American flag.

It's hard to judge someone just by what you see on TV too since some of the other pro's I've met seem different in person than they do on TV.

I like Ike's enthusiasm when he starts up. I can get excited too (at times I can be quite a dork, but I try to keep that from happening too often) although I tend to be reserved a little more often - that stoic Midwestern upbringing thing - so when Ike get's really wound up, I'm not as thrilled by it as other's might be.

I don't like it when he swears repeatedly either. Once in a while, a bad word will slip out, but... I haven't watched a lot of the fishing shows, but I saw one recently where they beeped him something like 12 times in a couple minutes. My wife came into the living room and asked what are you watching and why is the TV beeping? It seemed very strange to be explaining this to my wife thinking that my entire life, I can't remember anyone ever being beeped on a fishing show before.

Again, some people will be more tolerant and accepting than me, and it is just my opinion that swearing shouldn't be a common thing on a fishing show. And maybe he doesn't swear on many shows. I really don't get to watch very many of them so I'm going by about three different shows I've seen him on - he did only get beeped once or twice on another show I watched.

I would think Ranger Boats, being family-oriented might not be real thrilled about that behavior either, but again, that is just a guess. I haven't actually asked anyone there how they feel about it.

I do expect another boat company to be interested in Ike - he's pretty popular overall - or maybe it is more accurate to say he's also incredibly well known. I don't know which boat company, but I'm sure we'll find out over the next few months. He might already have some irons in the fire if things were bumpy before.

If this was a total surprise to Ike than I feel more sorry for him than before. Regardless, this has to be a tough thing to go through. It's a disappointment at any level to be dropped by a sponsor.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

Don't get me wrong.....I don't necessarily like all his antics either.  Being bleeped on a fishing show.....now that is something.  I have been known to use a few expletive deletives myself but I would be careful if I were on a fishing show.  Expletive deletives would be good on say......a late night version of "BEAT Charlie Moore".  I would go on that edition.   :o

BD          ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

Now that would be something - a late night version of "BEAT Charlie Moore" - I've only seen that show once - that guy is hyper - I'm thinking laughing gas is involved... or LOTS of caffeine...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.