Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:28:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Not so Hot Pond Report

Started by dartag, November 24, 2018, 06:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dartag

Fished the Hot Ponds Black Friday.   Not sure what was up but we only caught 1 bass in 5 hours.   Wind was out of the southeast when we got there.  A little bumpy but not to bad of a ride in.   Starting at the mouth it seemed the water is higher than it has been.  We started with crankbaits in an area I always catch bass.   Nothing but foul hooking shad.  We fished all the way up to the discharge at the entrance road without a bite.  Finally at the boat dock I caught a nice bass.   We fished our way back out to the mouth without a bite.   The shore guys were catching some nice catfish.  There was a boat fishing the middle of the channel vertically jigging a blade.   He said he had caught a couple bass, catfish and shad.    We fished all the way down the middle and caught a couple carp on a blade.  The small shad were so thick you would snag one almost every time you reeled in.  Water was 56 degrees from the mouth to the discharge.  Current was moving pretty fast.  We did notice a lot of dead shad along the bank

If you go watch out for bouys with rope floating near them.   

Hopefully the group will do better on Sunday.   My boat is now put away for the winter.  Time to get ready for Florida fishing.

21XDC

We caught over 50 LM in Lk Erie Friday in 38* water... All on my large blade baits.

:)  Not bad for 5hrs of fishing... Big fish was just under 4lbs Several over 3lbs.
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

dartag

I am going to give up fishing and start Bird Watching.       

Bigbass201

The hot pond has been off this fall.  It may pick up later.  My guess there is just too much food right now and you can't compete with them just opening their mouth and swallowing.  No need to chase baits.  I had a buddy that was in there last Monday and had the same deal.  They caught 5 or 6 with one good one.  They left and tried another area that was much colder and wacked around 80.  It could be these fish move if pressured too much.  The hot pond just hasn't been as good as it was 15 years ago.  Pressure will do that.  Just ask those Ohio guys that do largemouth only tournaments.  It's really hard to catch them over there now in East Harbor and West Harbor.  I seen a lot of those guys over on the Michigan side this year.  I think it's only going to deplete the Michigan side more in the future.

Just my .02.

Keep your head up.  The area wasn't the right one to be in.  It wasn't you. 

Tight lines

21XDC

I'll let you know... I'm fishing the hot pond tomorrow... Singular...

:)
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

dartag

Quote from: 21XDC on November 24, 2018, 08:48:43 PM
I'll let you know... I'm fishing the hot pond tomorrow... Singular...

:)

My guess is Mike will catch 100.   He always does in there..   He is the Pond Master. 

21XDC

:-[ ::) >:(  Only fished a few hours. I only caught 1 fish. It was a 4lb smallie' ... Awful...

2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max

Hollada

In the pond area or out front of it? 
Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex

dartag

Dang must be bad if you couldn't find them.   Frank and Mojo were in there but have not heard if he caught anything.   Time for me to get ready for Florida fishing. 

21XDC

Quote from: Hollada on November 25, 2018, 07:18:03 PM
In the pond area or out front of it?

We fished hard out at the mouth of Erie and never had a sniff.... Caught the smallie inside the middle of the pond.

I may have seen the ProCraft run by us....
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max

dartag

Seemed like a lot more bouys for nets in there from the commercial fishermen.  There was on net on the right side full of dead fish.   Wonder how many Game fish they kill in them.

Still worth going to see the Bald Eagles that live in there.    Funny I have had 7 people contact me from Facebook asking how they can get in there to see the Eagles.   Would be a good charter business for someone with a charter license. 

mikesmiph

Several of us were in there yesterday. Nobody did well. A bunch of junk fish caught/ snagged? I never had a bite, but only fished 2 hours. I seem to be having motor problems. Was late getting to the pond, and had to leave early. No decent sized bass that I heard about. Frank did catch a giant carp but he had no net and never got it in the boat. Best part of the day was the meal after.

Mojo

It wasn't a horrible day. Nothing like the 25 lb day I had oh maybe 10 years ago. I'd say I haven't seen one over 4 lb in 5 years. Anyway, we had an all species day, I caught 3 keepers none over 3 lb.  2 LM on cranks and one SM on a tube. Seemed to get bit more as the sun came out. Water near the outlet was 63 degrees, not terribly stained. The number of 4- 6 inch shad caught was crazy for sure. I think there are 2 areas that could produce more if we worked them more. For me it was being surrounded by my quality quality quality friends Sunday. And met 2 more really stand up guys ! For me, having these small but meaningful annual get togethers are the very events we will remember long after we've forgotten the outcome.

You guys should really join us up at Franks in July. That is a hoot ! And we catch 5 lb LM.  Bobs Swap meet - absolutely the best of the best.

Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Mojo

Quote from: 21XDC on November 24, 2018, 09:52:59 AM
We caught over 50 LM in Lk Erie Friday in 38* water... All on my large blade baits.

:)  Not bad for 5hrs of fishing... Big fish was just under 4lbs Several over 3lbs.

Would you have to be bananas to catch them in 38 degree water  Mikey ?

21XDC

I fish in temps down to 29*   :o  I dress for it... It shortens winter.  ;D
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max

Mojo

Quote from: 21XDC on November 26, 2018, 08:08:41 PM
I fish in temps down to 29*   :o  I dress for it... It shortens winter.  ;D
Let's try it again. Hey Mikey, would you say I'd have to stick my finger in the dyke to keep from catching 50 LM IN 38 degree water ? Lol

21XDC

Nope... I was not fishing the banana dyke... Nope!  I was fishing from the back of someone else's boat. I had the first 10 fish from the back, And he was fishing his smaller blade baits in front of me..  8)

He asked for one of mine and started catching. I caught over 30 LM and he caught over 20 LM...  Made a believer out of him...
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max

djkimmel

More secret spots... good to know they're out there. So we all know it's worth it to keep looking. I haven't even checked around here other than driving across the river in my car. The area near the power plant is open but I have to guess the lakes have ice on them now. Maybe I'll go for a short road trip this weekend and heck our few Lansing-area lakes for ice coverage. Though I don't go ice fishing on 'new' ice. I only go ice fishing on thick ice...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Bigbass201

Mike,

I know your secret spot.  lol    It's been hot this year and there have been as many as 6 boats in that small area.  Keep sticking them buddy.

21XDC

:o  I went there last Sun and there was already 3-4 boats in there... I left. I'm Not going to join the crowd.

Guys drive 2hrs to fish 10 acres..  ::)

They are mostly from OH. :o
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max