Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:23:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

A must read

Started by McCarter, July 08, 2008, 02:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McCarter

this is just brilliant:

http://www.bassfan.com/Opinion_article.asp?ID=112

Comments please!

McCarter himself :-\'

Durand Dan

Interesting artical. Although I haven't heard alot of fisherman claiming they could be a "PRO" if they felt like it. In fact I don't know anyone who thinks they can compete on that level unless they are already doing so. Sounds like the guy might have woke up on the wrong side of the bed.
My opinion

Team houston

He has won $800 in three years. Is that a pro?

Skip Johnson

I agree with several points he made, one was about bedding fish.
where I learned to bass fish (california) it was taboo in the bass clubs to pull fish off beds intentionaly and there were many gripes when peaple did.
I came to michigan and found alot of beds, I fished my first spring of tournaments here staying away from the beds only to have guys crush me with 20lb bags of bedding fish, I then thought about how many beds there realy were plus deep beds, I then did some reading and read some things that made me feel like I wasnt realy going to kill the bass population by removing bedding fish.

as the sport of bass fishing increases in popularity so does the pressure and the fisheries are holding up very well and I know ALOT of guys bed fish so now I bed fish in tournaments, I also have changed a few other tactics/courtesies to improve my chances tournament fishing.

Im at a point where Ive realised that a tournament is just that "a tournament", we dont meet at lunch sip tea and share spots, ITS A COMPETITION!!!! all is fair as long as its within the rules!!

I also agree about pulling the trigger and putting your behind on the line and risking financial ruin, I couldnt agree more with how he worded it.

now lets get to his pro stats....HOLY COW THIS GUY SUCKS AT FISHING!

he was a co angler in 2005 and won $750 in 1 tournament and has fished the tour for 3 years as a boater and only won $100, theres money everywhere and some tournaments pay $5k down to 100th place.

HOW DOES THIS GUY DESERVE TO HAVE HIS OPPINION OF PROS HEARD??????? :D :D :D

and where is he getting all that money to finance a losing investment?  ::)

either way it was a good post mccarter.
Go Big or Go Home!

dashaver63

WOW! That was interesting. I agree with Dan, somebody peed in his Cheerios! I just think he believes he has the right to bash some people that think they are as good as the pro angler but are afraid to try for fear of "financial ruin" since he has taken that step. Quite an angry guy, how would you like to draw him as your "pro" for a tournament day?

dashaver63

I guess so, thats probably why the guy's in such a bad mood. However, how do you only catch 3 small fish on TOHO in 2 day's? Maybe he should put his cane pole down and quit walking the bank?

Team houston

I have no problem with what was said. Just with who was saying it. Making a living off of fishing makes you a pro. Not because you have enough disposable income to enter top level tournaments. He has no credibility as a "pro" But good luck to him in the future it is a tough business to survive in.

Team houston

Since he is a retired military man I would like to thank him for his service to our country. Thank You Sir.

bshaner

You dont attain the highest enlisted rank in the Army without paying some dues and making some sacrifices. 

In this case he bought his own freedom to have his own opinions and speak them freely.

As for the comments he made, who hasnt thought or said any one of those at some point in time?  On either side of the argument?  Pro or not.

I wont argue he could use a bit more credibility to drive his points home.  Valid points nonetheless.

B

Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

McCarter

I think most of u have missed the point in a huge way. 

Durand Dan

Quote from: McCarter on July 08, 2008, 01:29:42 PM
I think most of u have missed the point in a huge way. 

???

dashaver63

If you mean the point of some people being critical of what someone else does or how they do it, without being willing to make the sacrifices themselves to show that they can do it better, I get that. I rescind my earlier comments.

bshaner

Enlighten us with the point, as you see it.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

djkimmel

Personally...

I always thought it was nanna nanna boo boo... ???

poo poo seems too dirty. I'd probably have said neener neener instead. Seems to fit the mood of the piece better?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

i lke  " nanna nanna na nanna " myself.

i can't belive the resentment on this board and the other board of the Pros in town.  They are here chasing a dream because FLW brought them here.   i have been listening to them for 3 days.  they would rather be somewhere else.  Both pros i pre-fished with burned over 100.00 a day in gas and would not take money from me.  they had to buy hundreds of dollars of tackle just for her.  they don't get a lot for free like everyone thinkd.  i could not give them any info.

let them fish there tourny and move on.  they will not be back next year. 

steve smith
commerce, mi

djkimmel

I don't resent them... I'm jealous of a number of them... I figure I can always learn more from anglers who are fortunate to fish so much (bums!!! ;D) I know I will be taking about a 1,000 pictures Friday - Sunday.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dashaver63

Yeah! What Dan said, except for the pictures part. I wish I had that kind of resources and ability to do what they do.

McCarter

Id rather not.  I cant seem to find a friendly way of putting what i want to.  So you guys just keep ripping on the guy.  I dont know him so whatever.  I would like to say that if anyone of us ever do make the leap into the pros, i would hope people wouldnt trash any of you just becuase you dont win any money.  Nevermind the hard work you put into it, the endless hours on the road, the time spent away from your families, the shame that is sometimes associated with begging for sponsor money.  But then most of you would probably take the tours by storm.

How ironic...

:-*

McCarter himself :-\'

djkimmel

Ummm, not everyone trashed him... and I think you need a hug (just not from me, but from someone... it might be helpful if you forgot about the other posters' reactions for now and explained anyway what you expected just from the article - I thought since he made some partial attempt at humor and I understood that part, I'd respond with my own partial attempt at humor -sorry)

His main point seemed to be we should have more conflict. Even if we have to invent it somewhat maybe. He made other points as he went off in several different directions, but his main point did make him seem bored and needing to lash out a little at the nameless pressures and happenings surrounding the high level of the sport.

That's fine. There's freedom of speach and all that... which also means others are free to speak out in reaction to his words... which he should expect and actually maybe enjoy if he means what he said in his main point. All the other side points were extraneous lashing out for the various reasons he felt he needed to lash out. Some in humor but there was almost a meanness too. He may be perfectly confident and sound in his life, but he may also be very frustrated and disappointed... or maybe (probably) somewhere in between. He took some shots at people too. You do that, you're going to take some shots back. It is inevitable.

That's my freedom of speach and I disagree somewhat with his main point. I agree that some conflict is inevitable and happens, and we probably shouldn't sweep it under the rug as if it never happened (which I don't think we do that bad anyway although people who thrive on that will of course disagree). I just hope he doesn't think we need to invent conflict to make us seem 'more legitimate.' Can you just picture KVD featured on the front cover of the Enquirer in some fake scandal? "VanDam Pics - Unnatural relationship with largemouth bass in remote wetland!!!!!" ?!?

I will have a hard time being convinced we need to emulate Paris Hilton to improve the presence of bass tournaments with the general public ('Roland Martin Sex Tape Discovered!!!' yaargh). We might as well start just having reality show votes on who wins the tournament (I'd start from lowest to highest): "Modrak... you ARE the veakest link! GudBYE!!"

I hope that isn't what he wants, but it was hard to tell when he went off and started poking at people who are saying the things that people have said for years all over and will continue to say regardless. It's what people do (some). I don't have any firsthand knowledge of why he's finished how he has, and I've had similar things said about me over the years too by people who often were saying things because of their own issues rather than issues really with/about me, but as far as what he wrote, I'm frankly a little surprised Bassfan printed in the form they did. I normally expect Bassfan to be publishing things that have a more clear and productive point? I think it could have been a interesting article if it had stuck to one point.

skeeterman190

Ok so im chiming in on this and im not sure what this guys deal is he makes some valid points but over all I think hes gonna go postal on a tourney. the pros have my respect these guys are masters if you think you can hang jump on board. hey its just money you cant take it with you! i have the burn inside to be a pro someday, im pretty much a newbie ive been doing this for like 6 years but i feel that you cant just live at one place and think your a stick! i have enough confidence in my ability that i can go to any lake and put 5 in the box. sometimes im wrong(burt&mulllet) you know how low you feel when you watch that many 20lb bags come in and you weigh 2 fish???? you can always say i lost this and that but thats the game! (if anyones interested im sure not i had a 20lb bag on) oh well thats fishing not catching. but what does that low do to you? it makes you want it even more. thats what the pros have that alot of the local smokies dont. a burning desire that i WILL beat anyone that steps on the water no matter when or where! i dont know im rambling on?? these men put there whole livelyhood at risk everyday to be the best. im sure theres more than one of them eating ramon noodles everynight for dinner!! cant even afford the 99 cent menu. not really sure with where i went with that whole topic but oh well. its all about contraversy right? someone need to give him spellcheck too!-skeeterman-oh ps to that man for keeping our country free and letting us have conversations about this.
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com