email
 Home  |  GL Blog  |  Forum  |  News  |  Tournament News  |  Conservation  |  Videos  |  Join  |  Youth  |  Site Map  |  Search  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Online Shopping  |  Donate to this site reluctant

Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum  - extensive bass fishing home page specializing in Great Lakes, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, Pennsylvania, New York and Ontario bass fishing techniques, news, issues, conservation, bass fishing reports, bass biology, tournament strategy, bass fishing lure and fishing tackle, bass fishing forum and fishing message board, logistics, weather and safety, and product information.

Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum

Your Great Lakes and Michigan Online
               Bass Fishing and Tournament Community.

Advanced search  
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automotive Automatic Shutdown Help  (Read 222 times)

detroit1

• GLBass Friends
  • Master Angler
  • View Gallery
Automotive Automatic Shutdown Help
« on: September 07, 2018, 09:46:25 PM »

Could someone please explain the reason  and/or the advantage of the auto shut off on these new cars and trucks? Is it to save gas? For some reason it bothers me to no end. Is there some sort of safety regulation? How many starters will you buy in 100k miles? Does it even use a starter? I counted 8 times my wife's Escape had gone thru the cycle on a 1/2 mile drive. It drove me crazy. Just because you have the technology doesn't mean it's practical or needed. Please explain it to me so it won't bother me anymore.
WAVE THERAPY

1BADAIR

Re: Automotive Automatic Shutdown Help
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 08:12:17 PM »

Saves fuel.  remote start a vehicle and watch the average mpg drop quickly.  The starting and charging systems on these vehicles are enlarged to handle the process. Jeep and others actually have two batterys. 1 normal large one and one the size of a lawn tractor unit.  The newer E-assist ram, jeep, silverado use a large belt drive generator/motor . When stop/start is active the vehicle shuts off. Then the MGU unit drives the car away from a stop for up to 30 feet or so before the engine starts. This unit also adds up to 130 ft lbs of torque to the engine when at full throttle.
Some of the older units have a small delay  after brake release due to having to getting the transmission back online(line pressure and everything) before the car will move.
If you drive in heavy stop and go traffic these designs can save alot of fuel

detroit1

• GLBass Friends
  • Master Angler
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 10:50:34 AM »

Thanks for explaining, but it's still gonna bother me....
WAVE THERAPY

1BADAIR

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 11:21:06 AM »

My mothers van does it. My father almost refuses to ride in it lol

Hollada

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 08:23:59 PM »

My F150 has it.  Drives me nuts.  Thereís probably a hack out there you could find to make it go away but Iím on a Ford mgt lease so canít mess with it.
Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12ís
Minnkota Ultrex

1BADAIR

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 04:43:13 AM »

FCA vehicles have a button to shut it off

Hollada

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 07:25:04 AM »

Ford has button as well.  Resets when car is turned off.

This is a workaround for those who want it.

Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12ís
Minnkota Ultrex

Hollada

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 07:36:20 AM »

Software work around.  DANGER use at your own risk

Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12ís
Minnkota Ultrex

djkimmel

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Welcome to GreatLakesBass.com - Board Admin
  • View Gallery
    • GreatLakesBass.com
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 05:32:54 PM »

Seems like the craziest idea ever as far as vehicles go... I can't help but expect stalled vehicles all over the place, especially at lights and stop signs, at some point in the future as they get old and things aren't working as sharp as they were when you bought it... It could be the end of civilized society as people degenerate into packs of crazy carjackers because their vehicle is sitting at the light after it didn't restart when they tried to continue on their travels...

I admit I took a trip with my Mom in her new car and most of the time it wasn't really noticeable though there where a few times something didn't seem right just long enough to confuse me... 'what was that hesitation all about...??' A little concern may be relieved if the car makes it through the winter without any problems. I sure don't want to see her stranded somewhere because the car is acting up. She might not do well in one of the future carjacking hordes...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of Michigan BASS Nation or TBF of Michigan.

dartag

• GLBass Friends
  • Legend
  • Lola says " lets go fishing "
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 06:58:22 AM »

They system is called Stop Start.   It was developed to get better fuel economy from a vehicle.   Fuel economy standards were raised by the last administration to levels that are hard to achieve with current vehicles.  Stop Start was created to help.  It cost the automakers Millions of dollars to develop. 

Here is an explanation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Start-stop_system
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Help Keep GLBass.com Growing
Visit the GLBass Stores

Buy GLBass.com Apparel

Buy Almost Anything from
the GLB Amazon.com Store

Online Shopping Links Available Here. Some Internet only specials!

GreatLakesBass.com Marine
Weather Portal Page

Check out Dan's Sponsors
Ranger Boats
Yamaha Outboards
St. Clair Report
Xtreme Bass Tackle
D & R Sports Center
Flint Sign & Design
Deka Battery

Advertisements

Visit Other Features of GreatLakesBass.com using the links below

Site Home | News | Videos | Bass Forum | Bass Tips | Articles | My Confidence Products | Tournaments

GL Blog | Weather | Fishing Pictures | Building Bass Boats | Conservation/Legislation | Bass Biology

Advertise | Site Sponsors | GreatLakesBass.com Store | GreatLakesBass.com Apparel | Online Shopping

Site Map | Contact Us | Search | About Us | Links | Link to Us | Resources | Privacy Policy | Disclosure Policy
Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot

VigLink badge