Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:01:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Weed Treatment Chemicials.

Started by dartag, August 14, 2018, 08:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dartag

We fished Lake Oakland today with our Tuesday Morning event.   You could tell the lake had been treated with all the dead stinky weeds floating around.   I went to the South end of the lake and the whole bay was Lime Green with something in the water.     I could see the yellow signs on the shore but decided to put my live well on Recirc and get out of there. 

Don't know what they spray but anyone have an idea of what chemical that looks like that.

djkimmel

It's a win-win for chemical poison companies. They pay them a bunch of money to kill all the 'bad weeds.' Because many lakes are loaded with nutrients (also courtesy of riparians) something will find a way to use them. Usually means algae blooms immediately following the crash of the previous aquatic plants. So the chemical poison companies return most likely with copper sulfate to combat the algae blooms.

We can only hope the starry stonewort doesn't find a way in because it seems like that invasive may be propagating in Michigan more than anywhere else because of all of the weed treatments opening the way by removing the 'competition' first.

Overtreating aquatic plants is really a lose-lose more often than not. And NOONE is responsible for rehabilitating the 'good weeds' back after they kill the 'bad weeds.' Hence the additional income to the chemical poisoners for repeated trips back to the lake...

"Will the circle,
be unbroken?"
Sing it with me...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Rangerman

If they want to get rid of the weed just add sterile grass crap 8) Our fishermen like the grass and weeds but the power co (Duke Power) and high end home owners don't.  They add grass crap each year here on Norman and other local lakes it gets most of it out.  Hell those grass crap will eat a Mountain Dew bottle if its green.  I guess that is the lesser of the evils to getting rid of the grass.  NC State Law prohibits using chemicals to any lake that is used for drinking water., and most of them are Norman has 520 miles of shoreline, and hard to find grass. The years they  cuts back on the number of grass carp the grass starts coming back. 

djkimmel

They used to do limited stocking of 'sterile' (triploid) grass carp here but with the campaign against Asian carp they don't want to have anything to do with any of them. Also, everyone has found 'sterile' grass carp are not always sterile. It's kind of crazy in this day and age to introduce an exotic to try to combat another exotic. It's like we never learn...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Rangerman

A horse of another color :) they are better than the snake oil added to lakes.

dartag

Drove from my house to Sault St Marie.    I think I counted 6 lakes along I-75 with Yellow Signs along the shore.   Then around Houghton Lake I saw a small Whaler type boat with spray equipment on it.   They are everywhere. 

Rangerman

Death of the Lakes :( Snake Oil does nothing but kill grass, fish and people in the drinking water. Ask in Vietnam Vet about Agent Orange!!!  Killing more than the Viet Cong!