Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:19:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Classic Coverage

Started by dhuff, February 25, 2006, 09:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhuff

I have been watching the classic coverage now for over an hour and I am not impressed at all.  I am in fact kind of bored with it.  They are hardly showing any fishing at all.  I have seen more of the guys that aren't in the tournament then the guys that are in the tournament.  Such as Denny Brauer and Byron Velvick.  To me the old bassmaster shows were the best.  They showed tons of FISHING.  NOt to mention they keep saying lets look at this angler and then they show footage they showed on t.v. yesterday.  Get the cameras out there and lets see some fishing.  We can only take analysis for so long.  I think we know what is going on when we see a guy catching a fish out there off of a bed.  I don't even think I am going to finish watching I am sick of this coverage.  I will just watch the weigh in later.  I thought ESPN would really step up there coverage a little they are but just not of the right thing.

ronhuntfish

I thought the coverage was OK. To much Ike, though.
That's a lot of hours to try to fill. Could have used some more fishing footage. Maybe talked to a couple of guys as they were fishing.

Bulletproof

IMO, the coverage has been awful.  A few shots here and there of them fishing and then back to dead horse analysis and useless banter and filler.  I'm sure every guy thats fishing it has a cameraman in his boat, why not show some more footage.  Definitely not enough IMO.
And i'm getting tired of seeing Byron Velvick, didn't this guy used to have a spot on General Hospital.?

I was up today at 7 sharp.  the wife had breakfast made-eggs, canadian bacon , hash browns, toast the whole deal.  Got settled in for some good action and fell asleep about an hour into it.

Either way I guess its better than watching my regular scheduled programming. ::)
I am haunted by waters.

dhuff

I hear ya bulletproof.  I got up all early to watch ans was very disapointed in the coverage.  I ended up going back to sleep half way through.  it didn't even keep my interest.  Horible show.

djkimmel

It wasn't real exciting - very hard to follow at times in a noisy Hooter's restaurant. The part I liked best was watching Rick Clunn catch the 10-pounder. At times (since we could barely hear it) we had a hard time seeing when commercials ended and the show started back up.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dhuff

When will they ever get it right.  I want to watch a hockey game and they actually show it.  Watch a basketball game they actually show the game.  Now try to watch fishing and you see comintating.  Now imagine ESPN show the super bowl but just talk about it.  Who CARES!!!!!!  Show us the darn fishing................

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

bosshawg

if anything, the classic breaks up some of the winter boredom...watchin' the other fishing shows for so long gets old. now is the time to start the winter ritual of sorting thru tackle, gear and what have you. boat in the shop last week, spring classic coming next weekend. i'm gettin' ready, anxious. lets get it on!

THINK SPRING!!!
if it feels good - SET THE HOOK!!

Michigan Bass Busters

huston

I spend more money off season buying stuff than when the season is here. I don't know if I'm going to BPS for the spring classic. I don't need anything, Oh yea, I need some outboard oil.

dhuff

Hate to say it but the classic coverage was again really bad.  Very little fishing and alot of comintating.  Should be the other way around.  Lets really hope that they don't do the entire fishing season like this. 

ronhuntfish

Yep, I think I am going to have to agree now. 1 and 1/2 hours of weigh-in and commercials.
It was kind of anticlimatic when I already knew the winner from on the net.

Skulley

BORING!!!!!!
The old Bassmaster format before ESPN was much, much better.  You got to see some fishing as well as the weigh-in.  Too many commercials.  You did not even get to see all 25 final day fishermen weigh their catch.  Very disappointing.  Coverage could have been much better.  Even the morning coverage was dull at best.

BD      ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

jamesjackson

for real!!!!  way too much commentary and comercials!!!!
    but on a better note fellas while you all were watching the classic live i was outfishing those guys here in michigan in  frigid windy weather . today i caught 40 smallies while out walleye fishing and my best five went 24lbs!!!    that doesnt seem right!!!
   also i must say way to go KVD !!!   my personal opinion is that the classic shouldnt be a spawning pig fest that a couple lucky bites can put so far out of reach..

dhuff

I agree I like it in the summer better.  I think it keeps it close and really puts the anglers skills to the real test.  Not only to meantion now we won't ever see a classic close by us again in a reasonable driving distance.  Really sucks.

djkimmel

24 POUNDS!!!! 40 SMALLIES!!! Heck - let's hear that report!!! It sounds a lot more exciting! Details! Details!

Bulletproof

The amount of commercials was insane.  There was more commercial time than classic coverage and I don't think I'm exagerrating!  It seemed like every 2-3 minutes there was a commercial. >:(
I am haunted by waters.

rangerfan

very disappointed...... Way to many commercials!!!! It seems to me they didn't show Luke very often with that nice big CHEVY across his shirt.....let alone that wont let him fish in next years classic!!!

dartag

yep love the Chevy / Ranger / Yamaha shirt,,,? bet? ?Toyota / Triton / Merc were happy..? does he get to fish next year since he won????
found this photo on the BassMaster site..? what kind of boat were they using??? only in america..

Revtro

The coverage wasn't very good IMO.  I DVR'd the Friday night coverage and watched it on Saturday.  So what ended up happening is that I was able to skip the commmercials for the entire thing since I got home Sunday night after the weigh-in was already over.  Without the commercials, you could really see how short the coverage was and how little fishing there was.  That's ESPN for ya. 

What I thought was really bad was when they talked about the rain delay and how we'd all get to see a rarely televised blast off.  Well did we see one?  Did I miss it when I went to the potty?  Oh wait, I was pausing the DVR.  Grrr.  Next year, maybe I'll go be a spectator boat, then maybe I'll actually see some of the fishing.  Plus, couldn't they have gotten a new camera out to Luke?  They hardly showed any footage on day 3 of him. 

Another crappy part of the coverage was the final announcing at the weigh-in.  The announcer never even said Luke Clausen's name.  He just said, "Let's light it up".  What every happened to saying "Let's light it up for this year's Bassmaster Classic Champion Luke Clausen!"?  It just seemed poorly rehearsed on the announcer's part.  The other thing that kind of made it seem a little boring was that Luke didn't have much reaction to winning.  A slight smile.  No fist pumping or emotion.  Everyone's different, but I love to see an excited winner.  Oh well, nothing to really blame him for about that.  It is what it is.  All in all...bored for the most part. 

Lastly, having this classic just 6 months after the last one and using the same qualifiers took a lot of the excitement out of it.  Other than the weather, Ike and KVD, there wasn't a whole lot of drama.  I hate the spring classic thing.  A spawners slugfest isn't my idea of a skills championship.  Man, B.A.S.S. is really screwing things up lately IMO.   :(
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Cheetam

Quote from: Revtro on February 27, 2006, 09:17:42 AM
The announcer never even said Luke Clausen's name.? He just said, "Let's light it up".? What every happened to saying "Let's light it up for this year's Bassmaster Classic Champion Luke Clausen!"?? It just seemed poorly rehearsed on the announcer's part.?
Do you think this is the case because Luke isn't fishing BASS this season?  Why promote a champion who decided to fish your competition over you?  I wonder if he'll be asked to pass the trophy to next year's champion?
Jeff