Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:31:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Losing depth reading on plane

Started by Revtro, July 19, 2018, 02:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revtro

I have a Garmin and a Humminbird unit, both with pucks mounted on the transom.  One of them is in the spot the previous owner used and the other one I mounted on the other side of the motor.  Both units are losing their depth reading when I get up on plane.  Ok, so what's the conventional wisdom on where to mount the pucks?  I do not have jackplate, so my motor is fixed.

Thoughts?
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

dartag

Only way to get good bottom when running is having a Thru Hull Transducer.   When your on plane the transducer will be out of the water.      I ended up buying a 5 inch HB Helix and epoxying the transducer to the hull in the back.  Works great.

Revtro

Can a sidefinder transducer be epoxy'd in or do I have to purchase a special thru hull transducer?  What about lowering the transducer more toward the motor so it's in the water when on plane?  Would the prop wash be an issue?
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

dartag

You can try to put the transducer in.  Duct tape or put a sand bag on it to hold it down and see if it works.  Not sure if the side scan will work shooting through.   Problem with putting it below the transom is if you hit bottom it will get ripped off.

My HB transducer is the one you would mount on the back that I glued to the inside of the hull

Hollada

Your SI ducer stays where you have it.  The shoot thru goes in your bilge and connects via a Humminbird y cable.  The y cable replaces the sonar signal from your SI ducer with the shoot thru.

Let me know if you have questions. 
Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex

Revtro

How do you switch between transducers?  Is it automatic or do you have a switch? 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

motocross269

It's automatic...  The thru hull only reads the 2D sonar and the Transom ducer is for the SI....It's been awhile but you may have to set it up in "Settings" but once you do that you are done...My boat is currently up North or I would take some pictures or have you over to copy my setup..It's pretty straight forward though...

Hollada

Nothing to change in settings.  The y cable replaces the sonar from the si ducer with the sonar from the shoot thru.

Your unit only sees a si ducer.  It doesn't know the sonar is coming from a different ducer.
Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex

motocross269

That's what I thought but couldn't remember if I had to so something in settings for sure......It's been about 6 years ...... ;D

Funny thing is my 2D transducer quit reading bottom this weekend so I will be standing on my head in the bilge this week installing a new transducer and cable... :(

Hollada

Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex

djkimmel

You lose sensitivity when you shoot through the hull. Seems like most hulls can still accommodate a transducer while you are running. You just need to figure out what part of the hull is still in the water when you're on plane to position your transducer. You also need to consider where the transducer will not get too much water disturbance from the motor turbulence.

I don't know where that is for all hulls and boats but someone else might know or maybe a dealer that sells that hull?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.