Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:16:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Iaconelli DQ'ed

Started by Bulletproof, February 24, 2006, 10:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulletproof

Did i hear it right?  Ike's been DQ'ed.?  A definite hot-button topic hey.?
I am haunted by waters.

fales

Yea you heard it right. He was towards the bottom of the list to. He had dead fish.

MBell

He went to check his fish and 4 were dead, either the livewell pumps broke or were shut off.  Apparently he swore and kicked his light pole.  If that is what happened that shouldn't result in a dq.  Of all the on the water fights between anglers this gets you dq'd under the sportsmanship rule?  Doesn't really matter though this classic is almost a joke, not the right type of fishery or time of year to determine the "best" angler in the world. 
-Matt

Potter

DQ'd for what?  I thought dead fish were only deductions.  Was the DQ for culling a dead fish?
The flag pole incident was not a real bright move. IMO

Potter

ronhuntfish

He was DQ'ed for bad sportsmanship. After realizing that he had 4 dead fish (probably his fault for not checking, or accidentally switching off the switch?) he had a hissy fit and swore and busted up his light post.

The tirade, according to Weldon "used very profane language in front of spectators. He removed a running light, which is part of our safety equipment and destroyed it."

He also made a call in to check if he could cull dead fish. He was told it was not against the rules, and I think he culled 2 dead ones.  The question was raised if it violated any state rules. I'm not sure on that.
"I totally feel like I'm targeted," he said. "I totally feel like I'm being sabotaged here. I don't know what my options are. I feel like if I don't take a stand, then not only myself but anglers from here on out are going to be open to this, and I'm not going to let that happen."

Well, he is the only angler I have seen act in any way like that, so I don't think any other anglers need to worry too much.
He seem to preoccupied by acting like a doofus for the camera and not worring about fishing, in the most important event of the year.
Obviously I don't care for Ike.

Potter

Thanks MBell

I should have waited a minute before posting, (or type faster)I could have saved my question.

Broken pole = bad day. :o

Potter 

dhuff

Him going off on the light pole. although not the best thing he could of done but certainly not bad enough to get a DQ!  He had 4 dead fish.  To me this brings up a very good topic or argument..... That being how all fisherman have to use a TRITON boat instead of their own sponsor or their own boat.  Maybe he wouldn't of had 4 dead fish if he would of had his own boat and clearly knew how to work all the controls.  Maybe that is not an exscuese.  But I hate how they can't use their own boat.  That to me is just rediculus.  Like a race car driver qualifiying all year in his car then getting to the Daytona 500 and having to use a tour sponsor car.  That is a piece of the fishermans equipment and for them to have to change that equipment in the biggest tournament of their lives doesn't seem right.

ronhuntfish

QuoteThat being how all fisherman have to use a TRITON boat instead of their own sponsor or their own boat.  Maybe he wouldn't of had 4 dead fish if he would of had his own boat and clearly knew how to work all the controls.

He had to fish out of a Triton every event last year and had no problem. Every other angler fishes out of a Triton and had no problem.

I honestly don't know if his actions were enough for a DQ, the rule is open for a lot of interpretation.

But, when so much of your career hinges on how your sponsors feel that you represent their products, it was a bad move.  I think he needs some anger managment. ;D >:(

djkimmel

He did a pretty good number on the pole. It looked like he tossed it in the lake although we were distracted at times tonight. We were wondering when the DNR would come out and cite him for littering or pollution or something.

I think it is reasonable to expect more gentlemanly behavior from PROFESSIONAL anglers.

Fishing out of a different boat does throw you, but you know in advance everyone has to do it and they go through operations with you before you go out. It's just one more challenge that you know is coming and you have to prepare for. I'm not crazy about switching boats, trolling motor, outboard, electronics, but it's there so I just think you go in expecting it and being as prepared as you can be to adjust.

They limit rods and tackle too. Just additional parts of the adjustment. When I fished the All-American, I wanted to switch out one of my rods and I had to get permission, and then have tournament officials watch me take one rod out and put one back in. They also watched what I did with the rod I took out.

It would be nice to not have something like that take up thinking and planning time, but again, it's a known long before you get there and actually do it.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Bulletproof

I can't blame him for being upset, lord knows I would of been 'out of sorts'.  Bummer situation no doubt.

As a few of you have already eluded to, not very professional.  I hate to say it but just a dumb situation.  He is a role model for many youngsters in this sport, probably had 20 cameras on him and lost his cool.  As furious as anyone would of been, high profile pros have an implicit responsibility to stay the course or anyone for that matter, especially on a stage like the one he was on.  Whether or not he should of been DQ'ed is another thread and fray altogether.

Another issue that came out of this was the culling of dead fish.  Whether or not it was legal is one thing and many like minds who fish tourneys will be a bit more sympathetic to it but seems like this is an issue that may generate some subjective scrutiny as well.
I am haunted by waters.

dhuff

Just to get it straight.  He didn't have to fish every event last year from a Triton.  He fished all tour events besides the classic in a Triton.  I have a few tournaments on tape and he is in a green and white colored boat with RANGER on the side.  So changing a guys equipment such as that in the biggest tournament to me is just flat out not right.

ronhuntfish

The culling dead fish is another interesting situation. I'm sure PETA will be all over that one. 
Although, I would probably cull dead fish also if I had to (in the rare case that I even have a limit).  It's easier when you don't have cameras all over you.
I know guy that would not even bring 4 or 5 dead fish to the weigh-in.  One guy I know stoped and gave his 5 dead fish limit(the livewell stoped working) to some guy fishing off shore rather than bring them to the scale.

Unfortunatly, this Ike thing is distracting from the guys that are winning. I've seen less footage of them then of Ike.

Bulletproof

Although I'm sure it seldom happens, the idea of throwing dead fish back into the lake is not a good angle for this sport.  I hate to say it, but it demonstrates the lack ethics in the face of competiton and a 500,000 dollar check.  In an ideal world, those dead fish should of been weighed in with the others and the ounces deducted accordingly.  Most tournaments have protocol that deals with this situation and the fish are taken care of.  Tough rocks I guess for whoever it happens to, but lets do the right thing.

Integrity, Integrity, Integrity.
I am haunted by waters.

Savage

If this had been anybody but Ike, they would not have been DQ'ed.  Aaron Martens was wacking his pole onto the boat and swearing last year at the Classic....

If a camera follwed all pro atheletes around every moment, and was there when things went bad, about %90 of them would get penealized for lauguage and losing their cool.  How many times have we seen guys throw things, swear, etc?  Baseball players do it every time they step into the dugout, just a few feet from the fans.

This was a joke, and I'll say it again, anybody but Ike would have been just fine.
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

dhuff

Savage that is very true.  I also saw last year when Gerald Swindle went up to Zell Rowland and had a hissy fit because he was fishing the other end of the same 1/2 mile long bridge.  That wasn't bad sportsman ship.  You want kids seeing how they can't share water that far away.  How he got all mad like a little kid and ran over there shouting at him.  That was directly to another competitor as well.  Atleast, Iaconelli directed to something else.  No way he should of gotten DQed.  Bass to me has taken a big down turn.  You don't seem to hear about any of this stuff with FLW.  Maybe that is why alot of pros are switching over to them instead. 

djkimmel

He has definitely benefited from all the extra coverage because of his performances. I just think that also means there's a cost to all that extra coverage.

When you are in the spotlight, you can be guaranteed you will be treated differently because of that spotlight. I think Ike is intelligent enough to know that. He's been intelligent enough to know how to use his personality to get all the heavy coverage.

I don't hate him or like him. I love to see emotion. I don't personally like the swearing and he seems to carry it too far too often, but I fully understand why he does it - he's going by the 'there's no such thing as bad publicity' principle.

And I know there are people who like his performances much beyond the point I enjoy them. Maybe there are more of those people. I just prefer natural emotion to the overacting that he sometimes seems to sink into.

I'm definitely not arguing against anybody who says anyone else would have been fine - I totally agree that others may have gotten away with it. What my first two paragraphs imply is what my Mom told me when I was only ten - "Son, you might as well know now, life's not always fair."

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

ronhuntfish

I guess there are always going to be people who like him, hate him, or don't really care.

It seems to me this creates bad publicity. If I was a sponsor of his, I don't know if I would be happy about how he presents himself.

I think emotion is good, but it's become just a show. Every time he's on camera he has to put on a bigger show than last time.

I've lost my temper before, but what he did showed no control, with cameras on him and everything!  Maybe a DQ was not needed, but I don't feel sorry for him.

Why even have a rule about sportsmanship if you can't enforce it?  Where's the line? Did he need to smash the windshields, throw his gear in the lake, smash the dead fish with his foot, moon the camera?

dhuff

I totally understand where everyone is coming from.... The only point I am making is that we can't judge what they are doing or how we would act.  Unless we are in the same spot that he is.  You have to remember we fish tournaments normally for a few hundred or thousand dollars.  He is fishing for the championship of the world and 500,000 and we all know proffesional anglers can most of the time use all the money that they can get.  So until we are fishing on the same scale as he is it is very hard to judge. 

canvsbk

The light in question was carrying an American flag. After ripping it out of the socket and beating on the livewell he stomped it into a pretzal and pitched it into the lake. I was pretty sure he was history at the time.
He did call in on culling the dead fish and they said ok.
There's too many guys that do endless good for the sport and the future of it to have to put up with a 6th graders private pity party because he didn't have the brains to turn on the aereator.
Later on I'll tell you how I really feel.
Look past what they want you to see.