Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:28:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

swim area reglations

Started by Frank, July 13, 2018, 12:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

What are the fishing regulations about swim areas?  How close can I get?  Can I cast in them?  Are they even allowed to rope off their own areas?

dartag

The cop on Cass Lake last year told me 100 feet because I was under power with my trolling motor.  I smiled and said ok.  There were 3 boats anchored next to the swim buoy markers.  Maybe the push them In there.

motocross269

dartag

The East end of Union Lake had 20 buoys anchored about 150 feet from shore without a permit.  The DNR came out and told them they all had to be removed.   The property owners must have read this rule because quite a few of them now have Mooring Buoys in front of there houses.   You can go inside them legally when not on plane.

djkimmel

Quote from: Frank on July 13, 2018, 12:01:03 AM
What are the fishing regulations about swim areas?  How close can I get?  Can I cast in them?  Are they even allowed to rope off their own areas?

Assuming we are talking a public lake, most things are 100 feet like no wake regulations. You are not supposed to cast in to them either. I don't know if that is a specific law, or will just get someone very angry at you but I do expect the answer would be something along the lines - 'duh, you can't fish inside a legally marked swimming area.'

'Under power' on an electric motor...?? Not sure exactly how that meets whatever law or regulations are out there? Probably one of those 'ask 5 law officers' get 4 different answers kind of thing. I would look it up but I'm swamped right now and it would probably be scattered among 3 or 4 or more different places and regulations.

You're not supposed to put out private buoys for things like swim areas or ski runs without permits. Sometimes the MDNR comes along and makes them remove, reduce or change them. Other times they have been there forever and they stay there. Sometimes they are new and they still stay there. Probably who you know, or who complains either way. Something like that.

The 'ski club' on the Grand River in Lansing had buoys and a ski jump for years. They would even come down and chain off the public ramp whenever they had a 'ski competition.' Went on for years. I tried to launch one day and found the ramp chained off with a hand-written sign from some guy...

Called Lansing Park Police and they said no, can't do that. I think it took a total of 2 years with multiple calls before it finally stopped happening. It took a few more years before they finally removed the ski ramp, then reduced and moved the ski buoys before finally having to remove them completely. They may have been able to leave some longer if they had been more willing to cooperate most likely. I believe it was because they took so long to act, and wouldn't do exactly what they were told that they were eventually told they had to completely remove them.

People want to do what they want to do.

When I'm fishing along and someone with their private swim area starts a fuss I usually just keep fishing along. Maybe speed up a little to get out of the way a little quicker. There are some things I will debate, and some I don't bother. I guess if 'swim areas' started popping up all over the place that might change... I've also had enough times over the years where a law officer of some type showed up and just said to us, 'you have plenty of places to fish, why not just move along to make this go away.' Always enjoy when our rights are stuck up for... ;D

On a rare occasion a law officer actually will tell the complainer they are wrong, or even breaking the law. It's nice when it happens. With the angler and hunter harassment laws it can happen a little more often now but still depends on the circumstances, the lake and who shows up sometimes.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Obviously, you don't want any kind of prop spinning in the water anywhere near people in the water. Though not everyone seems to be aware of this.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

The Very Smart people on the other end of our lake had buoys in front of there houses.  The Marine Division came by and told they had to be removed.  The owners did there research and found out Mooring Buoys are legal in front of there house.   Now there are quite a few along the shore there.  It is totally legal in the marine rules.   Smart people. 

djkimmel

I got that point earlier. Always nice to see people taking what few smarts they got and applying them to their best individual advantage. It's the American way maybe.

I don't pay much attention to mooring buoys unless something is actually moored to them, or maybe if there's a chance the anchor might have a fish on it??