Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:30:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Asking for $ for gas

Started by Revtro, June 22, 2018, 07:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revtro

So I had an interesting interaction with a friend I took fishing this past week.  I was low on gas/oil and as we all know oil is $25-$30 for TC-W3.  So I awkwardly asked him to chip in for gas which I have never done before because in the past I have felt there was a difference between fishing with a fellow fisherman where helping with gas is customary and expected vs fishing with a "guest" or non-fishing buddy who doesn't know about that etiquette.  So I say it was awkward because I kind of felt weird asking.  Normally when I invite a non-fisherman friend to go out, I treat.  But money's tight right now, so I asked and felt weird about it. 

So I'm just curious...anyone else ever feel this inner conflict when taking different people out fishing?  I try to live very generously toward people, but at the same time, gas and oil are expensive and I just don't have the spare dollars lately.  Nevertheless I hated to ask.  What have been your experiences?  Am I worried too much about being off-putting to my guests?  Should I just go ahead and ask or is it uncool to ask guests? 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

dartag

Personally I never ask for gas money.  But fishing is an expensive sport.  Don't feel bad about asking.  You are providing the boat, gas and above all time on the water for them  They should be happy to help out. 

21XDC

Many non boat owners don't have a clue of the cost of boat payments, maintenance, insurance, battery replacement, trolling motor and electronic upgrades, prop repairs etc.... Let alone how much gas and oil these boats consume. It was my decision to buy, own and keep up the boat....

If a non boater paid for all of the gas and oil, They still get off cheap.  I try to never ask for money, But I sure do appreciate when money is offered.

My rig burns 28 gallons of high octane gas per hr at WOT Plus the $30 per hr in oil... $120-$150 per HR..  :o
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Hollada

Tough situation.  If the friend was bugging you to take him fishing, I'd expect an offer of cash or let him know that the boat isn't free.  If you asked him to go with you, there should be no expectation (unless it's someone that has owned a boat and understands the costs :-)   )
Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex

Rangerman

Well I never or rarely ask for gas and oil money, but most back seats offer to pay or to pay for gas , oil and launch fee's if any 8). When our group goes to LCS and other lakes the tow trucks and boats are full and keep a running tab of ALL expense and split 50/50 makes for no problems down the road and a second invite. When we get back in town refill and add it to the tab.

21XDC

2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Revtro

I appreciate the feedback.  Yeah, never ask for gas when I do the inviting unless it's a fellow boater/fisherman who understand the etiquette.  But my buddy often has asked me to take him out and sometimes with another guy he wants to bring along.  So I figured in that situation, it would be more acceptable to ask for some help with the cost.  I wish I had unlimited funds and never had to ask.  LOL

21XDC, those shirts are hilarious.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

bob o

when fishing as non boater, fishing for fun or a tourny, if we stop for gas i'm at the pump first with my card ready for either the truck or the boat, nobody should have to pull teeth for some gas money. as a co angler you better pony up or you might find your self standing on the dock with no invite the next time around. it dosn't even have to be gas, bring waters or lunch & snacks etc. the small lil bunch of guys i fish with we all know the $ will come back some time or another.

Mojo

Good post and good inputs. With the inputs so far coming from boaters, I'll provide input from the co-angler side.

TO FELLOW COANGLERS: Read these above posts very carefully. Especially 21xdc. His post on costs outside the gas pump are spot on.

Rev, don't be conflicted, take it as a teaching moment and explain to ANY person, on the day you organize the fish day ( not at the pump) about costs of fishing. Use me as an example. Tell them about the grateful guy who offers to pay for breakfast or lunch, brings sandwiches and drinks for their boater, or offers gas money before he sets foot in the boat. I think that would go smoother than waiting to say something after the gas pump is closed and new guy is whistling staring at the lake .
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

motocross269

I don't see it being an issue asking for help with expenses at all.....Especially if you asked beforehand... I got back into tournament fishing as a Co angler 7 or 8 years ago and I was lucky that I had a few great guys and club members to help cure me of my ignorance on some of the etiquette....

djkimmel

Doesn't bother me when someone asks. On rare occasions I actually forget to offer and usually feel like a heel when I do. I will try to correct later but a reminder from the boater again doesn't bother me.

It does seem like if someone invites you to go in their boat it may not be expected to offer money, but as pointed out, some of us are used to the idea of the cost and offering to help, but many people are not used to the idea of cost or offering to help.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.