Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:56:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

How to find new fish?

Started by 1javelin, June 09, 2008, 05:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1javelin

Here's a question I will throw out to you guys.  When going to a new body of water and preparing for a tournament, what do you do for preparation, and what do you do once you are on the water?  Do you spend days pouring over maps and deciding what phase the fish will be in, do you run from creek arm to creek arm throwing cranks looking for schools?  I admit, I have little knowledge in this area, as I have never fished with anyone who has the luxury of doing this as a boater for years and years.  I'm considering trying some big events next year, as the payback is more appealing.  Please feel free to chime in or pm me if you like secrets.

1Jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

bassmaniac

First thing I would do, depending on season, stage the fish are in, is study a map and find the original river bed or creek channel with primary and secondary points. Find deep points with good shallow flats with cover(wood, docks, weeds etc.). Lastly, any kind of off shore structure during the summer such as rock piles, deep weed lines or old road beds. Actually, any shorline cover adjacent to deep water is always a good starting point, but this is for largies. Deep stucture with drop-offs or rock piles for smallies.

djkimmel

I do some Internet study if info is available. I look up fishing reports I can find. I also check out any available tournament results to see if there are patterns of weights by season it seems to normally take to win.

I call local DNR fish biologists about weeds, habitat, forage, water quality and color. I ask about anything that might make the bass behave different than normal. Sometimes I will get ahold of studies including netting surveys. It's important to understand your target species and its target forage.

Depending on the importance of the lake/tournament, I will find and buy every map I can since they often have differences - if more than one exists. Often more than one does. I may also call local tackle shops for completely new lakes and ask a few questions of them, but I try to do this in conjunction with buying something to show I don't just expect something for nothing. I don't do this for every new lake - mostly the major ones.

Many of the best spots are not on maps or not apparent. I don't usually ask for spots or specific help from people, but I try to get an idea what part(s) of the lake are hot/popular during which season to help simplify my search for these types of spots.

I try to limit myself to a part of the lake that looks like it has a good supply of spawning areas, habitat and forage close together. I expect that means there should be a lot of bass living somewhere in there. I will try community holes - they are community holes quite often for good reas. I will try major, obvious structure too because that should attract bass. I can get some idea what I need to concentrate on.

I need a list or plan to follow to stay on track and do my best. I think you should always mold the process to match your personality and style somewhat. The more you try to force things too much like someone else does it, the more likely you'll fail. But always learn from others (like you are trying to do) and adjust your own approach to use the things that you believe can fit into your own methods.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.